Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2016 11:59:38 AM EDT
Just picked up a akorn kamado kooker at walmart on clearance for 97 dollars,  its dented but i feel like i can fix that.  The grill grate is broken and its missing another piece.  What do I need to know about this thing?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:06:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought those things were ceramic.  How is it dented?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:10:23 PM EDT
[#2]

As long as it seals up well, it'll work very well.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:11:17 PM EDT
[#3]

It will hold the temperature like an oven once you learn how to control the temp
Don't let the temp get above your target as its very difficult to bring it back down
Best to keep the lower vent almost closed and open it incrementally to raise the temp especially when doing long cooks at low temps like 225 - 250

Be very careful when opening it and learn to "burp" it or you will burn the ever loving hell out of your arm when the heat escapes in 1 big blast

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:33:31 PM EDT
[#4]
The interior metal liner is dented just enough that i cant get the grate to sit in it flush.  It was the floor model so who knows how it happened
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:34:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

As long as it seals up well, it'll work very well.
View Quote

It seems like it seals up
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:41:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

They're triple walled metal with a cermaic "coating" if memory serves me correctly. Whatever it is, it works. Just made burgers on mine last night. Above info is spot on, temp can be tough so ramp it up slow initially on low temp cooks. I only did a pork butt once so far before I even had the indirect plate thing. Reminds me I need to try again.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:43:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just picked up a akorn kamado kooker at walmart on clearance for 97 dollars,  its dented but i feel like i can fix that.  The grill grate is broken and its missing another piece.  What do I need to know about this thing?
View Quote

Call up the Big Green Egg company and ask them to send you a replacement part.    

Opps, read your post again.    Nevermind.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:44:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

The expensive ones are
The cheap ones are not, double/triple wall metal/ceramic combo. Saves a lot of money, works almost as well but doesn't last as long
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:56:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The interior metal liner is dented just enough that i cant get the grate to sit in it flush.  It was the floor model so who knows how it happened
View Quote

It probably tipped over when someone tried to move it without latching the lid
Ask me how I know
Fortunately I was power washing my patio and it was empty

Pro tip: latch the lid when moving it

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:09:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He would have paid 10x as much for a BGE

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top