Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2004 11:11:43 AM EDT
Do you think this massacre in Russia will in any way have an effect on the elections in November?

I think the people here in the US will see this and be outraged, and help get GW elected because the people know what GW is all about concerning shit like this.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:14:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:17:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I doubt it will have any effect on the election.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:18:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Well I dont hope or like the idea of other peoples children being killed to effect the outcome of the election in our favor, but much to the chagrin of those who would look the other way when that "Religion of Peace" strikes, I hope to god so, and I hope we have a healthy fruitful 4 years hunting every single fucking one of them.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:18:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Do you think this massacre in Russia will in any way have an effect on the elections in November?

I think the people here in the US will see this and be outraged, and help get GW elected because the people know what GW is all about concerning shit like this.

Little or none.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:19:42 AM EDT
[#5]
The DU is already blaming it on Bush
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:20:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

They blame everything on Bush.  Luckily, they represent a fringe group of idiots.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:20:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They blame everything on Bush.  Luckily, they represent a fringe group of idiots.

Yup
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:21:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I think it MIGHT have a slight postitive effect for Bush, simply because most people probably believe he'd be more serious/agressive/hardassed about defending the U.S. from that kind of shit.

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:23:14 AM EDT
[#9]
My sentiments exactly.

Quoted:
I think it MIGHT have a slight postitive effect for Bush, simply because most people probably believe he'd be more serious/agressive/hardassed about defending the U.S. from that kind of shit.

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:23:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup

Double yup.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:23:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes, it will have a positive effect for Bush because it affirms the concept of a world wide war on terror.

And it makes it hard for the Kerry crowd to say that Bush is causing the terrorism.

Yeah, I know it won't change any minds among the crazies.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:24:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't think it will really be reflected all that much in the elections. But if anything, it would have to help Bush. Afterall, this not only confirms that terror is very much indeed still a threat to the world, but also shows what the terrorists are capable of doing. It certainly doesn't help Kerry in any way imaginable.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:56:16 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It won't help Kerry's argument that terrorism isn't a problem.

For the "touchy-feely" types, "if John doesn't feel that it is a problem, its NOT a problem."

My guess that this attack got to the core of the sheeple. Who can forget the guy carrying the little kid, or the mother leaning over and touching her dead child. There is nothing the news media can spin this any other way, the bold images says everything that needs to be said. Many of us have children ourselves and can definitely relate even though it is a whole world away. The images makes it like each of us were punched in the gut.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#14]
What do you think it would do to the election if the same thing happened here in the next few weeks?

Say the scenario Grock outlined in his thread.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:03:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

This will have ZERO effect on the election.  The story will be out of the news after the Sunday talk shows.  The media will drop it as quickly as possible because it goes against their PC/tolerance agenda, and since it didn't happen in the U.S., it will be easier to drop than it would be otherwise.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:31:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I think a lot of Americans aren't aware of anything that happens outside of their own personal circle.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:34:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:34:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I think yes. It shows that even if your country defies the US in the war on terror you are still fair game to terrorist. Proper "marketing"; and I hate to call it that, will change some fence sitters minds.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:35:28 PM EDT
[#19]
No effect, because only
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:48:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It won't help Kerry's argument that terrorism isn't a problem.

For the "touchy-feely" types, "if John doesn't feel that it is a problem, its NOT a problem."

My guess that this attack got to the core of the sheeple. Who can forget the guy carrying the little kid, or the mother leaning over and touching her dead child. There is nothing the news media can spin this any other way, the bold images says everything that needs to be said. Many of us have children ourselves and can definitely relate even though it is a whole world away. The images makes it like each of us were punched in the gut.

Apparently, a sizable portion of our population has forgotten the pictures of people jumping to their deaths and a fireman carrying a dead child on Sept 11, 2001, so don't count on this making a difference among that crowd.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 1:08:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 1:11:37 PM EDT
[#22]
We have the handwringing soccer moms blaming these things on America and in turn, Bush, for angering the Moslems.  They truly think that the Moslems are nice reasonable people that are only reacting to bad treatment from Western society.  

They have their heads so far up their collective @$$'s that they just don't get it.  They can't wrap their tiny minds around the idea that the Moslems hate the rest of the world just for being non-Moslem.  They can't figure out why theses murders do what they do, so they turn their blame against our leaders, or in this Russian school mass murder, some citizens are blaming Putin.

We allow the press to get away with referring to the terrorists as "Chechnian Freedom Fighters", when what they really are, are Islamic mass murderers.  Islam has never brought freedom to any people, only death and misery.

Fortunately, the internet is making end runs around the news media, and they are loosing influence.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 1:11:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I think a lot of Americans aren't aware of anything that happens outside of their own personal circle.

Maybe, bt it's hard to ignore an attack on a school that resulted in 350+ deaths, most of them children, some of THEM shot in the back.

If it weren't for Frances, the coverage would be non-stop.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 1:15:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 1:33:59 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Nope...

This is, after all, just the latest in a long string of atrocities that have marked the Russo-Chechen war. Both sides are guilty, the Chechens are just MORE guilty.

It is, however, an example of what happens when you indescriminately level whole cities just to 'win' a war these days... The Russians took the EXACT approach that has been advocated here for dealing with Fallujah & Najaf, and they bought themselves a blood feud on the order of the English/Irish troubles, or the Israeli-PLO conflict, which will last for generations....
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 1:40:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Sadly, I think many people will never see any of the pictures of this attack, or even remember that it happened after two or three weeks.

The day of the attack, I watched the ABC evening news to see how Peter Jennings was going to spin this story.

Even though it had already been determined that the Russian forces were forced to go in after the terrorists started shooting fleeing students, Petey gave the impression that the Russians had started the whole thing and were responsible for all of the deaths.  The only interviews shown of people who were actually there, were of grieving mothers cursing Putin.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 1:44:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Leftist media has gone out of it's way to make sure the "rebels" are not called what they really are = Muslim Terrorists. If the leftist media admits they are terrorists, then the "ignorant masses" might figure out that Bush is right and Kerry is wrong.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 1:55:39 PM EDT
[#28]
What terrorism? What moo-slims?

I've spoken with 5 clients today, all of whom are typical Americans who sit down to dinner and watch the 7 o'clock news each evening, and NOT ONE of them had any clue the "Chechen rebels" are moo-slims, let alone moo-slim terrorists hell-bent on creating a pure Islamic state.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:03:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:03:42 PM EDT
[#30]
In the short term, I suspect it helps Bush, simply because it puts the terrorism issue back in the headlines. Most news media outlets have trouble following more than half a dozen stories at any one time (and the same goes for many Americans).

It's quite possible that this incident was partly responsible for Bush's recent popularity "bounce".

Still, between now and November, Kerry still has plenty of time to divert public attention back to the economy and Iraq.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:08:18 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Still, between now and November, Kerry still has plenty of time to divert public attention back to the economy and Iraq.

It should read:
"Still, between now and November, Kerry and the news media still has plenty of time to divert public attention back to the economy and Iraq."
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:34:45 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Sadly, I think many people will never see any of the pictures of this attack, or even remember that it happened after two or three weeks.

The day of the attack, I watched the ABC evening news to see how Peter Jennings was going to spin this story.

Even though it had already been determined that the Russian forces were forced to go in after the terrorists started shooting fleeing students, Petey gave the impression that the Russians had started the whole thing and were responsible for all of the deaths.  The only interviews shown of people who were actually there, were of grieving mothers cursing Putin.

Chechens started it by revolting...

Russia tried to 'Finish It' by burning Grozny to the ground....

Chechens kept fighting...

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:36:31 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Leftist media has gone out of it's way to make sure the "rebels" are not called what they really are = Muslim Terrorists. If the leftist media admits they are terrorists, then the "ignorant masses" might figure out that Bush is right and Kerry is wrong.

They ARE rebels, not islamist terrorists...

The Chechen terror movement is a separatist group like FARC, Shining Path, or the IRA (just not as 'honorbable' as the Irish, who were 'polite terrorists') - it IS a rebel movement, not a religeous one

That they are supported by AQ is a side note, not a statement of ideological unity.

AQ supports the Chechens because the Chechens fight Russia (some very old, bad, blood there. Remember Afganhistan? Plus, the Russians are our putative allies), not because the Chechens are part of AQ or trying to spread some global Islamic dictatorship..

Iran, OTOH, is very opposed to anyone who might be 'against' the Russians, as they need Russia to complete their nuclear project....
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:39:41 PM EDT
[#34]
polite terrorists? did you know that Protestant terrorists have killed more people during "the Troubles" so far,,,both groups as still wrong and lowlifes for killing civilians etc.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:47:17 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
polite terrorists? did you know that Protestant terrorists have killed more people during "the Troubles" so far,,,both groups as still wrong and lowlifes for killing civilians etc.  

Of course they are both wrong, and such...

The 'Polite Terrorists' reference was toward the fact that the IRA tends to blow up specific varieties of targets (mostly govt/military), has been known to send 'warning notes', and are in general less 'monsterous' than the Middle Eastern variety....

Both the Chechens and the IRA are/were fighitng a similar war, against a superior opponent, with the stated purpose of separating a piece of said opponent's territory.

The diff is that the IRA would never take over a school & start shooting/blowing up kids, and the Brits would never burn Ulster to the ground just to 'win' (well, not in recent centuries, anyhow)... Oh, and the IRA is faced with a few varieties of counter-terrorist-terrorists (kind of like FARC and the Colombian paramilitaries), the Chechens have only the Russian govt to fight...

They are, comparitively, less monsterous... Closer to the VC than Al Queda, let's say...

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:01:22 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

The hope is that it will remind people how serious what we face is, and that our choice will play a large part in deciding whether or not this happens to us.

But unfortunately some people walk around in such an intellectual stupor that I doubt anything will wake them up.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:20:10 PM EDT
[#37]
The Neutral Observer talked to many people today who had been driven from the "maybe I can understand some of their motivations, but not their actions" camp to the "kill all muslims" camp by this event.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:36:36 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I doubt it will have any effect on the election.

I have to agree.

As long as there is beer in the fridge and the cable is working, most Americans couldn't care less.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:43:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:46:25 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

'Protestant terrorists' as opposed to, say, 'Catholic terrorists'?

Sorry, but I think there is plenty enough blame to go around, and it IS the Catholic IRA that is fighting to undo a political fact - that there is even an Ulster and an Eire and they are NOT one and the same!

And I doubt the fact that the Protestants in Northern Ireland have killed more folks than the IRA!

Do you have numbers to back up that statement?

Would you like me to get some...for you?

Eric The(FairAndBalanced)Hun

I lost any and all sympathy and respect for the IRA when they killed Mountbatten.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:32:37 AM EDT
[#41]
I've met and talked to Ian Paisely. You guys know who he is?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:38:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:39:25 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I've met and talked to Ian Paisely. You guys know who he is?

Yes I do.  I've heard him speak in person.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top