Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2016 12:17:32 PM EDT
Is there one, because I can't think of any, besides maybe keeping new year resolution types out of squat racks.  

Just seem like a scheme to keep chiropractors and physical therapists employed.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:44:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Weighted calf raises.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:47:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I zercher squatted 500 pounds on a smith machine last weekend.  No real good way to re-rack it without a spotter.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:53:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Is there one, because I can't think of any, besides maybe keeping new year resolution types out of squat racks.  

View Quote

After shoulder surgery a few years ago I was never able to fully recover the strength I had prior to surgery.  The Smith machine was the only piece of equipment that allowed me to fully work the target muscles and regain strength.

The only other truly good use I've ever found for it was to absolutely destroy my pecs after I couldn't do any more free weight chest exercises.  My progression was incline DB flyes to failure, incline DB presses to failure, weighted dips to failure and then, on occasion I'd finish off with Smith machine bench presses.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 3:51:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Ive seen people lay on their back under it and use it as some form of super dangerous leg press. I suppose it's effective, but I'd probably set the stops on it so it couldn't guillotine me.

Weighted calf raises as mentioned.

Shoulder shrugs too?
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 4:14:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Worst I ever hurt myself was on a smith machine.

This was before I had seen the light.  I was "squatting" in it.  I had my feet way far forward, cause you know, if knees go forward at all they will blow up on the spot.

Now that I understand mechanics of the lifts and all that I can see how much moment force I was putting on my back when I did it.  

Crazy stupid.  But back in the day I had no idea.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 4:31:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ive seen people lay on their back under it and use it as some form of super dangerous leg press. I suppose it's effective, but I'd probably set the stops on it so it couldn't guillotine me.

Weighted calf raises as mentioned.

Shoulder shrugs too?
View Quote

Saw the same thing for the first time two days ago.  That's actually what made me post this.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 5:56:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Worst I ever hurt myself was on a smith machine.

This was before I had seen the light.  I was "squatting" in it.  I had my feet way far forward, cause you know, if knees go forward at all they will blow up on the spot.

Now that I understand mechanics of the lifts and all that I can see how much moment force I was putting on my back when I did it.  

Crazy stupid.  But back in the day I had no idea.
View Quote

My wife got a hernia squatting on the smith when we were just starting.  Same way I think.

I'm surprised that it hasn't been mentioned yet, but there's a YouTube video on how to use the Smith from Bro Science.
Turns out if you melted them all down you could cure world hunger.

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 7:02:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Pull up bar.

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 9:11:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Pull up bar.

View Quote

Inverted Row
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 1:52:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Inverted Row
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pull up bar.

Inverted Row

Back Bull
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 2:36:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I use it as an ending to land mine complexes at the end of a workout, lay under throw feet on bench pull chest to bar, flip to underhand grip and do another set.  Other than that I don't think I have ever used a Smith Machine.

Eta inverted row as mentioned above.  Brain is still recovering from deadliftapalooza today.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 2:46:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Programming movements around a solid program is far more optimal than tailoring a program to accomodate a piece of machinery. Especially a smith machine. Put the smith machine on e-bay and go buy a squat rack with the money.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 5:14:16 PM EDT
[#13]
This guy seems to think that it's only good for 2 exercises:
http://www.fitstep.com/Library/Tips/Tips/when-to-use-smith-machine.htm

Weighted Calf raises
Short ROM exercises like lockout training for bench press.

I don't think I've ever used it... not seriously anyway.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 5:34:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This guy seems to think that it's only good for 2 exercises:
http://www.fitstep.com/Library/Tips/Tips/when-to-use-smith-machine.htm

Weighted Calf raises
Short ROM exercises like lockout training for bench press.

I don't think I've ever used it... not seriously anyway.
View Quote

For hypertrophy work I imagine they are pretty handy, like doing burn out sets after a big lift.

I think you can use them for drag curls too.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 9:17:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Back Bull
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pull up bar.

Inverted Row

Back Bull

Why is he using wrist straps?
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 10:20:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pull up bar.

Inverted Row

Back Bull

Because he's he YYYYYYUGE.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 4:37:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pull up bar.

Inverted Row

Back Bull

Taking grip strength out of the equation?
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 7:02:32 PM EDT
[#18]
While looking for ideas to change my workout, I came across a few videos showing Smith machines being used for different exercises. Here's one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDbb1BscZgs

IIRC, another video showed upright rows being done.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 11:48:07 PM EDT
[#19]
We all use it at my gym as a seated shoulder press machine. Works great for that without risk to your shoulders from dropping heavy dumbells after a set.

Other than that it sits unoccupied.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:38:21 AM EDT
[#20]
use them for bodyweight rows, assisted pullups, and straight bar dips.    You can also use it for duck unders and step overs.     But that's all it is useful for.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:11:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Haters gonna hate but I love the smith machine for incline press and shoulder press. Never found any other use for it though.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 2:31:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Im actually a big fan of them. Well a fan anyway. calf raises, incline bench press and my favorite that hurts like a motherfucker, donkey kicks. Get on all fours in front of the bar then use the sole of your foot on the bar to "kick" back (straighten your leg). It hurts so good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top