Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2002 9:33:18 AM EDT

Just considering what I've read about operation Anaconda and wondered if any and what type of sniping may be going on.

I would think that since there are reports of the fighting being located in a valley area, this would be prime snimer/antisniper environment.

Would some type of .50 BMG be useful in penetrating some of the fortifications? Do we, the US, even use that type of weapon or is the Remington 700 more of a standard sniper rifle?

Just curious. Not being militarily affluent, if this is a bad (read: classified) topic, please feel free to delete.

--LS
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 9:58:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 10:03:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Just goes to show ya you can't believe anything that passes for news nowdays. I'd hazard a guess that most of the folk here know that 880yards or meters is well within the range of our miltary sniper teams armed w/ the Rem 700 platform.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 10:06:00 AM EDT
[#3]

(?) Please clarify.

Did they just give range data or did they mention it because something happened to the position? Was it neutralized?
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 10:09:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 10:45:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I was watching MSNBC about a week ago when the battle pictures started to come in. And with all the other quick images, there was one where they were behind a US soldier and he had a bolt action with scope. It was a quick image, but it looked more to me like a .50 cal (Barrett?) than a Rem 700. I've looked online to try and find that image, but no luck. But there are definitely US snipers in the area. Let the tradition continue!
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 10:55:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Hi Beekeeper.

I'm no expert, but I think the range issue goes like this-7.62x51 NATO goes subsonic around 600 yards or so, and is considered running out of steam by 800 yards, but with perfect shot placement, the velocity loss is not fatal except as to the target who takes the round.  Military snipers can and do push past 1000 yards with the round, or so I'm told.

I have hit a 43" mettallic ram at 800 yards repeatedly with my precision semi, and I have a long way to go with my technique.

If I had good cover, I believe I could hit a human sized target at 800-900 yards, maybe not with the first shot, but once I got the range down, it'd be game over.

No armchair wannabe, well, maybe a little bit, just a comment based on my experience.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 11:15:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 12:51:42 PM EDT
[#8]
When i was in about 6years ago our snipers had barret semi auto 50 cals and 700's. got to shot the barrett a time or two it was a good shooter. my old unit is over there now.
i have also heard 1000 yards with 308.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 12:59:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 6:42:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Marine Cpl Steve Suttles had a documented kill in the Vietmnam conflict at 1250 yds.  Although the max effective range of the M40A1 is listed at 800yds the jarheads keep insisting that it is 1000yds.  
Seems to have worked for Steve.  I spent three days last fall shooting with him on a 1000 yd range. The guy can call wind like no one I have ever seen, and was  the best shooting coache I have had the pleasure to work with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top