Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2006 3:19:54 PM EDT
I was talking with one of my Sgt. and my department is thinking about uping hiring requirements with a minimum of an associates degree.

See Poll
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:28:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Bachelors and am working towards my Masters.

I would suggest a waiver for  current officer transfers and active duty service members....otherwise all you get is college boys.

Were hiring now if anyone is interested

warwickpd.org/employment.htm
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:03:11 PM EDT
[#2]
BS in Behavioral Science
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:58:45 PM EDT
[#3]
B.S. in botany, about halfway to an MA in CJ.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:26:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:21:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm a high school graduate w/ 3 years of college but no degree.  I've seen plenty of people w/ BS degrees & higher who coulnd't find their ass w/ both hands.  I have seen the opposite as well.  Unfortunately departments think because you managed to make it through four years of school, your the perfect choice for law enforcement.  I think it depends more on maturity & world experience than degrees, etc.  

Unfortunatly police depts are really going to be in trouble in a few years.  More & more college grads are realizing that police work won't pay enough to pay off those loans like the money from the private sector does.

The Indiana State Police just lowered the school requirements because they aren't getting anywhere the number of applicants like they were before.  It's just going to get worse.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:01:07 PM EDT
[#6]
BS in Criminal Justice, worthless....Heading towards my Masters in PA.  And I agree, a degree doesn't make you a better cop.  When I was hired in 95, I was the only one in the whole department that had one.  Now we are at about 50%.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:05:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm a high school graduate w/ 3 years of college but no degree.  I've seen plenty of people w/ BS degrees & higher who coulnd't find their ass w/ both hands.  I have seen the opposite as well.  Unfortunately departments think because you managed to make it through four years of school, your the perfect choice for law enforcement.  I think it depends more on maturity & world experience than degrees, etc.  

Unfortunatly police depts are really going to be in trouble in a few years.  More & more college grads are realizing that police work won't pay enough to pay off those loans like the money from the private sector does.

The Indiana State Police just lowered the school requirements because they aren't getting anywhere the number of applicants like they were before.  It's just going to get worse.

+1
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:12:32 PM EDT
[#8]
In the middle of May - BS in Chemistry/Biochemistry

ETA: Trying to get hired on after graduation. So far in my efforts it has been a plus to have a science degree. I know from my time as a cadet and reserve it has come in handy, especially with some of the things those guys are trying out there with the drug stuff. Also nice to know what the CSI types are trying to do and understand what is going on there.
Chem is also good for teaching you how to not contaminate things and develop habits so you won't. Even more important is knowing and being able to explain how you didn't contaminate something by your actions.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:20:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have a Bachelors and am working towards my Masters.

I would suggest a waiver for  current officer transfers and active duty service members....otherwise all you get is college boys.

Were hiring now if anyone is interested href=warwickpd.org/employment.htm

You work for Warwick? My father just filled out an application with them I think. I would apply but I'm not done with my degree yet. Looks like a very squared away dept to work for.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:12:38 AM EDT
[#10]
High school

My military, police, and life experience add up to 105 credits (most of it electives). Right now, I'm working on my Bachelors in Security Management through an online accelerated course.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:12:59 AM EDT
[#11]
BS in Mechanical Engineering and ~10 years professional engineering experience.

Brian
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:29:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Some agencies around where I live and work wont hire anyone without a bachelor's degree.  My own will, but it is increasingly difficult without either college or military.  The hiring pool is just too competetive.

BTW, some colleges are beginning to beginning to accredit bachelor's and master's degrees in "homeland security" type of curriculums
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:08:38 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
In the middle of May - BS in Chemistry/Biochemistry

ETA: Trying to get hired on after graduation. So far in my efforts it has been a plus to have a science degree. I know from my time as a cadet and reserve it has come in handy, especially with some of the things those guys are trying out there with the drug stuff. Also nice to know what the CSI types are trying to do and understand what is going on there.
Chem is also good for teaching you how to not contaminate things and develop habits so you won't. Even more important is knowing and being able to explain how you didn't contaminate something by your actions.

Check out some of the HAZ MAT stuff.   I just took a class from one of the Fed agencies who employed a FF with a degree in Chem to teach it.   He's young and doing quite well in his career.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:29:48 PM EDT
[#14]
B.S. in Wildlife and Fisheries Management and minor in C.J..  All I got from college was a HANGOVER and a piece of paper that says" you graduated".  Otherwise, the best experience is 7 years as a street cop.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:31:58 PM EDT
[#15]
BA in Theology here...

I used to work for a department that started a hiring policy of at least having 2 years of college, 2 years of military, or 2 years prior law enforcement.  This policy only lasted six months to a year...administation could not get the people they wanted.  

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:24:56 PM EDT
[#16]
BS in Criminal Justice.  Can't quite afford to go after the Masters at this point.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:53:40 PM EDT
[#17]
just high school and .mil here.  Working towards my Associates right now and will probably transfer to a 4 year school.

I think the degree requirement is BS.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:18:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Hi, I have a Bachelors degree just graduated in October of 05 from Eastern Mo Police Academy, but unfortunity no job as of yet.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:55:36 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I was talking with one of my Sgt. and my department is thinking about uping hiring requirements with a minimum of an associates degree.

See Poll

I can see a move to an Associates but don't go to a 4 year Bachelor's requirement. This job does not need someone with a college education. There are plenty of people without one that would do great in this job. Upping the requirements only takes these people out of any consideration.

Perhaps the way to approach it would be to offer preference points to test scores similar to Military points. Or, in addition to or in lieu of that, offer enhanced pay for those with college degrees. It would provide incentive for officers w/o one to seek one.

Getting the right people in the door is the important thing. Don't limit yourself by thinking that upping the requirements is going to give you a better pool of applicants.

My Dept went from requiring an associates degree to requiring a bachelor's degree about 7 years ago. We have finally decided that we did not get the intended results, and will be dropping the requirement back down to a 2 year degree in time for our next testing cycle.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:00:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:11:53 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I think this may be the first time I actually saw you post in this forum. I thought you were a ghost!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:22:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Another professional engineer - BS in Mechanical Engineering w/ minor in Philosophy.

Law enforcement is basically a hobby for me (deputy sheriff- 8 years reserve, 1 year part-time).  

At our department, a degree is not required.  Seems to be a push at larger departments in NC though.  I've seen some very good officers that didn't have degrees.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:58:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Education is the way to advancement.Alot of cops in my classBLE67SIR! were vetrans. Alot copied off my papers in/for class for the pay upgrade, I no mind. Vetrans w/HS diploma....I'd suggest nite school for Bs/Ms if your able.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:03:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Im not to any of those yet but gettin close.  But I am planning on my Bachelors.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:57:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Bachelor of Fine Arts in Theatre. It helps make it seem like I know what I'm doing for the Feds. Stay safe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top