Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2011 2:01:42 PM EDT
Educate me on staining a deck

The low rent douchebags who owned the house before me stained my gigantic deck with a light colored pigmented stain crap that is peeling off.

I want to just hose the entire bastard down with a darker pigmented staint that i can just re-hose every few years when the old coat strats looking shitty

When i do a web search, every forum that deal with decks has literally every single possible combination of opiniosn you can imagine.

Like this:

I used behr opaque deck stain and it lasted 20 years.

Well, I used it and it peeled off in 6 months.  next time i used cabots, and it faded out after 7 years but didnt peel.

Well, cabots made my house explode into a million pieces and now junkies are mixing meth in my shed.

Well, i used Flood and it made me get an erection that lasted more than four hours, but aside from that it lasted 2 years.

FUCK

This is hopeless

All i want is a frikkin stain that will cover the shit on my deck already and not peel up at some point in the future.

what say ye?

where i live it's piled with snow in the winter, hot as fuck in the summer and humid all year round, except when it's bone dry and decides not to rain for 3 months
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 2:05:04 PM EDT
[#1]
With blood or what?

ETA: OK, I read the OP.

I would never stain a deck because of the reasons you posted. Pressure wash it and use a sealant like Thomsons.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 2:06:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Olympic maximum, used it for years, Lowes carries it. Just wash the deck down, let it dry and stain right over the old. It lasts 5 years. When doing the floor get a pole and this
http://www.lowes.com/pd_278939-1199-3506_4294766319__?productId=3375768&Ntt=stain+brush&pl=1¤tURL=%2Fpl_Specialty%2BApplicators_4294766319__s%3FNtt%3Dstain%2Bbrush&facetInfo=
You can thank me when your done.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 2:10:05 PM EDT
[#3]
you MUST use an oil based stain.  The water based shit will not last.  Your deck, in all likelihood, has a water based stain on it that must be completely removed before the application of the oil-based stain. Power wash that old shit off, let it dry a few days and apply your high-dollar oil-based. Reapply in 5 years depending on climate.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 2:12:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
you MUST use an oil based stain.  The water based shit will not last.  Your deck, in all likelihood, has a water based stain on it that must be completely removed before the application of the oil-based stain. Power wash that old shit off, let it dry a few days and apply your high-dollar oil-based. Reapply in 5 years depending on climate.

this
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 2:14:36 PM EDT
[#5]
With either stain or paint the key is surface preparation. Beg, borrow or steal a pressure washer and wash the deck down. 5 dollars a gallon or 100 dollars a gallon, it doesnt matter if the deck surface isnt clean for it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 3:10:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Olympic maximum, used it for years, Lowes carries it. Just wash the deck down, let it dry and stain right over the old. It lasts 5 years. When doing the floor get a pole and this
http://www.lowes.com/pd_278939-1199-3506_4294766319__?productId=3375768&Ntt=stain+brush&pl=1¤tURL=%2Fpl_Specialty%2BApplicators_4294766319__s%3FNtt%3Dstain%2Bbrush&facetInfo=
You can thank me when your done.

Correct answer.  Olympic is good stuff.  You might as well piss on it as use Thomsons.  Get some tarps or plastic to cover your grass before you spray.  The stuff is better than roundup.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top