Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2014 2:55:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/29/2014 10:20:26 AM EDT by peecmkr45]
Years ago I acquired a used 10,000 BTU kerosene heater. It is the round Keroheat type similar to the Duroheats now sold. I have been trying to fire it up to test it since it has been such cold weather lately. Thought it would be good for backup heat. I downloaded the manual for it.
Wick had carbon deposits on it so I disassembled and cleaned everything. Took hard carbon deposits off wick and reinstalled.
The wick is very difficult to adjust up and down due to friction. Fueled it and went through cleaning process by burning the wick per the instructions.
I took the top half off of it to better observe the flame and noticed that there was an unimpressive amount of heat being generated. I estimate the flame and heat to be equivalent to about eight or ten kerosene lamps burning. I think more heat would be generated by a burner using pressurized propane or natural gas.

There continued to be to much friction on the wick. I loosened the burner assembly so I could raise it and reduce friction in order to adjust the wick and lowered the burner assembly again repeatedly to try to get the proper flame height to reduce smoke and soot.
I have to think this much friction is not normal because it would be almost impossible to adjust the wick with everything assembled. When I tried, a lot of pressure was put on the adjustment parts, enough to eventually break something.

After repeated attempts I finally shut it off.  
I imagine that the flame is supposed to heat up the body of the heater to radiate heat but the flame puts out so little heat I don't see how.
Considering the disappointing amount of heat and difficulty adjusting the wick I am doubting the value of this heater for me.
I have a new wick but am thinking that it may not be worth the effort installing it for so little heat output.

Is this amount of heat output normal? Is to much wick friction a common problem?

By the way I know that burning the heater partially disassembled is possibly dangerous. I took that risk to try to get the thing to work .
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 2:59:59 AM EDT
Go buy a Kerosun or one made in Japan. Do NOT buy a chinese one, they tend to be junk.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 3:32:12 AM EDT
This heater was made in Japan.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 4:00:06 AM EDT
Put the new wick on it.
I'm willing to bet that's the cause of your friction.
You will notice a difference. Old wicks put out less heat.
If not, you're just out of the time.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 4:08:59 AM EDT
This is the go to site for them all.http://www.milesstair.com/kero_heaters.html
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 4:10:43 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 4:15:39 AM EDT
Kerosene heaters are simple devices.
The wick , if shortened by trimming off crusty carbon will only go so high and not produce rated/desired amount of heated....
The mechanics of the adjuster prevent raising too high and producing soot....this is where trimming cannot be compensated for.
Replace wick with new.
You will be pleased.
Top Top