Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2005 3:40:24 PM EDT
I am ignorant of Jewish religious beliefs. A few questions please.

1. What does the Jewish faith require for the return of the Messiah?

2. Does Jewish religious doctrine give credence to the books of Daniel and Revelations?

3. Is there a primer book for the Jewish faith?

Thanks alot and hope this thread is not consumed by Trolls.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:58:49 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

2. Does Jewish religious doctrine give credence to the books of Daniel and Revelations?

First of all, Judaism is not Messiah centric, We have the Torah, and that is all we need, Messiah could never come(G-d Forbid) and it will change nothing, just as when he comes, nothing will change (In regards to Torah) But their are three things that will bring the Messiah. When we need him most, when we merit or earn him, or when every Jew keeps two Sabaths (According to Torah) in a row.

Daniel is in the section called writtings in the Hebrew Bible, the Chrsitians place it in their Prophets section. Of course we give credence to it. However, Jewish and Christian POV on Danial are very different. Revelation is part of the Christian works and has no bearing or validity in Judaism.

As far as a primer goes, It is called the Torah. Reading it in anything other than Hebrew is not acceptible if you are trying to really understand it. If you must read a translation I would recomend "The Living Torah" by Rabbi Aryeh Kaplan ZT"L Or the Stone Edition.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:16:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you so much for your reply. I allways thought that the old testament should be read as a direct translation from Hebrew.

Can I ask one more question please?

What is the signecanse of the temple mount and how do we get it back. Sorry about spelling.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:26:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thank you so much for your reply. I allways thought that the old testament should be read as a direct translation from Hebrew.

What is the signecanse of the temple mount and how do we get it back. Sorry about spelling.

Just a though, even the best Jewish translation can not relay what you get if you can read the Hebrew.

As far as the Temple mount, it is where G-d took the dust to make Adom. It is where Noach offered sacrifices. It is where Avroham bound Yitsaak, Jacov had his dream on the Temple mount and Dovid HaMelich purchased the mount, in what is one of the oldest deeds still to be found (In the form of the Hebrew Bible) It was the site of the First Temple built by Shlomo Hamelich and the Second Temple. And to this day the HaKodesh Barachu still resides there.

How do we get it back? When Hashem decides that redemption is right. Had the Romans known the benifit that all the peoples of the earth recieved from the Temple, they never would have raized it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:49:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Hi jccnv...regarding a primer, a good place may be a for those interested in converting to Judaism--I know that's not what you indend, but it is a good general source.  Another recommendation are a set of books "The Jewish Book of Why"  by Alfred J. Kolatch, Jonathan David Publishers, 1981.

Ed
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:42:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just a though, even the best Jewish translation can not relay what you get if you can read the Hebrew.

As far as the Temple mount, it is where G-d took the dust to make Adom. It is where Noach offered sacrifices. It is where Avroham bound Yitsaak, Jacov had his dream on the Temple mount and Dovid HaMelich purchased the mount, in what is one of the oldest deeds still to be found (In the form of the Hebrew Bible) It was the site of the First Temple built by Shlomo Hamelich and the Second Temple. And to this day the HaKodesh Barachu still resides there.

How do we get it back? When Hashem decides that redemption is right. Had the Romans known the benifit that all the peoples of the earth recieved from the Temple, they never would have raized it.

Side question, and an admitted highjack (though indended to be short lived): Why do you write God as G-d?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:30:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Side question, and an admitted highjack (though indended to be short lived): Why do you write God as G-d?

Its one of those, small but important rules, G-d should not be written on anything that could be parishable, or thrown away....so if the document is to be trashed, it is not against G-d.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top