Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/15/2005 5:55:40 PM EDT
I'm posting this for a friend (seriously)

Do any of you economic experts have any idea where the unemployment rate may be heading towards by the end of 2006? If you do could you please post what you think it might be and why? What factors have the biggest effects on the unemployment rate?

I think it's a stupid question because there are a lot of unknowns and really wonder if you can even predict such a thing past 1-2 quarters.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:57:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Alien:
What factors have the biggest effects on the unemployment rate?

Job cuts and hiring.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:03:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/15/2005 6:03:36 PM EDT by mayday]

Do any of you economic experts have any idea where the unemployment rate may be heading towards by the end of 2006? If you do could you please post what you think it might be and why? What factors have the biggest effects on the unemployment rate?

I think it's a stupid question because there are a lot of unknowns and really wonder if you can even predict such a thing past 1-2 quarters.

he he...wow. Ok, how can I put this....you're going to need about 3-months of reading to be able to put it together.

But if you want a short answer:

>Unemployment rate: 4.6%
>Biggest factor: Energy inputs [and their rise in cost] as they contribute to overall increase in inflation.

If you want more answers take a couple courses in Macro-Econ
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:03:50 PM EDT

You're right about that. Even estimates a quarter into the future are guesses, and a lot of times government data is revised a few months after its intially released.

But the economy's doing real well, fuel prices are falling. I dont know what the unemployment rate is right now, but it never falls much lower than 5% or so.
Top Top