Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2011 4:04:19 AM EDT
After a break of several years due to injuries, I am starting to hit the gym again.  I've started slow with the girly weights, but I'm feeling great.  

Now for the other half, the diet, it gets pretty expensive, unless you only eat eggs and tuna.

Any tips for an affordable high-protein diet?
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 4:16:10 AM EDT
don't eat too much tuna each week you'll get mercury poisoining.

For protein, chicken is still relatively cheap, and so are eggs.

Shop your supermarket specials, use their customer loyalty cards.

You can save $ by buying just about to be expired meat as well.

Wholesale clubs are good place for bulk meat as well
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 4:20:29 AM EDT
Watch for sales....

For example, I picked up 3 of the biggest Pork Loins I have ever seen.  They were at Safeways at $1.99/lbs each.  I cut them into 4 roasts each and froze them.  Each one was about 8-9 pounds and made 4 roasts.  Cook them up creatively and tons of protein.

Thats how I do it.  I am on the Paleo diet and I feel great, losing weight, putting on muscle as I work out.

In fact, tonight I am having one of those roasts I mentioned.  Not sure how I will cook it.  

for breakfast this morning.   3 Egg omellette with some vegetables.

Lunch today will be a big honking salad with some roasted chicken breast...

Roast Pork for dinner with some Broccoli....

Oh, I buy alot of frozen veggies.  Much easier to keep than fresh.  All the fresh stuff I use is for salads.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 4:52:00 AM EDT
Hit Wally World for some protein suppliments.  

A good sized jug is a bout 16 bucks.  

Don't go crazy with it and it'll last you a couple of
weeks.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 5:25:45 AM EDT
I kill stuff (deer, dove, squirrel, ducks, geese, turkey) and catch stuff (mostly crappie).
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 5:26:30 AM EDT
Sardines and herring.  High protein, healthy fat, and harvested young so you don't get the heavy metal buildup.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 6:17:16 AM EDT
You can double the protein of your milk intake by adding powdered milk.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 6:25:08 AM EDT
Drink whole milk.

Lots of it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 6:31:37 AM EDT
flank steak and london broil is cheap, high protein and low fat, as well as pork tenderloin.

ill get a big london broil, cook it slow over charcoal on sunday afternoon, slice off 8oz every night for dinner until its gone. flank steak is good seasoned and broiled or sliced up in stir fry, bake a pork tenderloin low and slow divide it up with some rice and veggies eat all week. whey protein is also a cheap way to pack in a lot of protein
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 6:31:48 AM EDT
Quoted:
Sardines and herring.  High protein, healthy fat, and harvested young so you don't get the heavy metal buildup.

Man, I have not had sardines in long time.  I'm craving some right now.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 6:42:22 AM EDT
I eat about 5 pounds of chicken breast a week. Its my main source of cheap protien. Whey is also cheap at walmart. Like $16 for 2 pounds.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 7:05:36 AM EDT
Frozen chicken breast is roughly $2.25/lb in my area. Sometimes it's less on sale.

Legs and thighs are even less I think. If you like dark meat.

also LENTILS. They are very high in both protein and fiber.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:19:12 AM EDT
Quoted:
Quoted:

Man, I have not had sardines in long time.  I'm craving some right now.

I eat a can almost every day for lunch.  Despite still being 10-15 pounds overweight, my total and LDL cholesterol are the lowest they've been measured (204 and 107 respectively) and my HDL is the highest it's been measured (83).  The main change in my diet since my last flight physical is sardines 3-5 days/week.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:31:33 AM EDT
Lot's of great ideas here. Eggs are a favorite of mine, chicken breast is not too expensive. Whole chickens are also pretty cheap, around $5 for one around here, should be at least 2-3 complete meals in 1. Certain cuts of steak are cheap, roasts etc...lots of good options.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:21:08 AM EDT
THIS is how I up my daily intake by taking it between meals.  Delicious and affordable.  

Also, drinking a shit ton of milk daily helps a lot.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 4:22:08 AM EDT

Quoted:

Lot's of great ideas here. Eggs are a favorite of mine, chicken breast is not too expensive. Whole chickens are also pretty cheap, around $5 for one around here, should be at least 2-3 complete meals in 1. Certain cuts of steak are cheap, roasts etc...lots of good options.

This is pretty much my diet.  Cottage cheese is also cheap, and I usually eat a pound of it for lunch with a banana cut and mixed into it.  It's a cheap easy meal for under $2.75.  Usually, I find sales, and buy as much as I can, then I come home and separate everything out into ziplock bags.  In the mornings before work, I take one out and thaw for that night's dinner.  These days split chicken breast, bone in, still seem to be cheap, and I can find killer deals on pork chops.

I also hit up the "managers" discount section for meat that is about ready to go out of date.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 5:01:23 AM EDT
If you have a crock pot, turkey breasts are inexpensive and provides lucnhes for about a week.  I wish I liked eggs, but the taste makes me gag.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 5:58:20 AM EDT
I find that chicken and ground turkey are the cheapest.  Usually less than $2/lb.
An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator.

If you are the system administrator please click here to find out more about this error.