Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/20/2008 11:17:16 AM EDT
Whats the best way to get my money back or at least revenge?

I sold this airline ticket.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&item=180258145449

Winning bidder paid by paypal and I shipped the ticket when I got the money.

3 weeks later paypal opened an investigation wouldnt say why and then refunded him his money. So now my paypal account is negative 332 dollars They say it could have been fraud (not his credit card or some other dispute but wont give me details)

Paypal says there are three things a seller must do to get "seller protection" and that I did them all except signature confirmation. I wasnt aware i needed that and did do delivery confirmation plus insurance plus shipped it to paypal confirmed address.

So this guy has my ticket and his money back and I am out $332 what should I do?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:18:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Call the airline and see if they can do something?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:20:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I hate paypal.....

Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:22:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Im sure you have his address.  Im equally sure an ARFcommer lives close to that address.

rr
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:23:37 AM EDT
[#4]
My paypal account is set up so that it is connected to a specific bank account that is only
funded for paypal activities,  as needed, and I never keep any money in it unless it's to
fund a paypal transaction.   Once someone pays me,  I transfer the money to an account that is not connected to the paypal account.

Try a chargeback with that.   You won't succeed.

I suggest that everyone sets up their paypal account in this manner.  Keep it isolated
from your general accounts.

CJ
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:24:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Closed my e-Bay account and my Paypal account a year ago.

Despite all of their "protection" policies, they don't give a damn about you, bottom line.

Good luck with it & sorry you got ripped.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:25:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Im sure you have his address.  Im equally sure an ARFcommer lives close to that address.

rr

First rule of Fight Club is Don't talk about Fight Club.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:25:12 AM EDT
[#7]
My checking account and paypal account are indeed seperate. So my paypal account is negative 332 not my checking account.

I guess I could not care that is negative but then I think paypal will come after me after a while as well.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:25:48 AM EDT
[#8]
i had th same problem...sold 100 30rnd ar mags to someone for 1100.00...then they files a chargeback with paypal...paypal gavehim back the money instantly and i never got my merchandise back...after that incident is when they added the no firearms accessories to their policy...FUCK PAYPAL!!!

I will never use them again and i havnt ever since that incident
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:26:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I suggest that everyone sets up their paypal account in this manner.  Keep it isolated
CJ

Good idea. I think I'll do that on Monday.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:27:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Do you have the certificate number?  I'd imagine that you could report it stolen to the airline, and the guy wouldn't know until he books his travel.

If you have a CC or bank account linked to your paypal account, then remove it immediately.  If they come at you for it, then just notify the bureaus that it's a disputed account and paypal can go screw themselves.  If you have a CC linked to the account and they charge it, then dispute the charge and get a replacement card with a different number.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:28:30 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
My checking account and paypal account are indeed seperate. So my paypal account is negative 332 not my checking account.

I guess I could not care that is negative but then I think paypal will come after me after a while as well.

Interesting. So does that mean that your address is forever blacklisted?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:29:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you have the certificate number?  I'd imagine that you could report it stolen to the airline, and the guy wouldn't know until he books his travel.

If you have a CC or bank account linked to your paypal account, then remove it immediately.  If they come at you for it, then just notify the bureaus that it's a disputed account and paypal can go screw themselves.  If you have a CC linked to the account and they charge it, then dispute the charge and get a replacement card with a different number.

I have credit cards and a checking account tied to my paypal account. I just tried to remove them and it wont let me saying I cant do so with a negative balance.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:30:01 AM EDT
[#13]
I never use paypal for this reason. They are a bunch of crooks
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:30:30 AM EDT
[#14]
No eBay/PayPal did not steal your money you failed to abide by the terms and conditions and sold something and what you have experienced is a cost of doing bad business.

It sucks I know but your statement is untrue. For 7 yrs I dealt with this kind of manufactured truth and 99% of the time when someone comes to a website and screams PP stole their money it is just not true. We would get state Attorney General offices calling us raising hell until we pointed out that the resident failed to mention a few things when they complained. At least you were honest in admitting it was your fault but the title is a bit misleading.

And yes it burns me personally because I built much of their fraud policy and this policy in particular because we took heavy losses because people would rip us off. Should we soak up the loss because you didn't follow through on the commitment?

As far as revenge? Drop it really bad idea.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:31:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Paypal is holding ~$1400 of my money right now.  It's almost criminal what they can get away with.  If you want some company with your misery you can go to paypalsucks.com and read where other people have been screwed too.

Consider yourself lucky that it's only on paper you got fucked.  At least you have your money, right?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:31:44 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
My paypal account is set up so that it is connected to a specific bank account that is only
funded for paypal activities,  as needed, and I never keep any money in it unless it's to
fund a paypal transaction.   Once someone pays me,  I transfer the money to an account that is not connected to the paypal account.

CJ

They'll send you to collections.

How about following the policy to the letter and not having to worry? Or not selling.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:32:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Okay shovelhead PayPal didnt steal my money this person stole my item and Paypal is an accomplice.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:32:33 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
i had th same problem...sold 100 30rnd ar mags to someone for 1100.00...then they files a chargeback with paypal...paypal gavehim back the money instantly and i never got my merchandise back...after that incident is when they added the no firearms accessories to their policy...FUCK PAYPAL!!!

I will never use them again and i havnt ever since that incident

Here we go
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:33:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Paypal can kiss my ass. Who remembers the thread about iirc Dennys guns and paypal.

Read the thread then make your own decisions.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:36:16 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
No eBay/PayPal did not steal your money you failed to abide by the terms and conditions and sold something and what you have experienced is a cost of doing bad business.

Since you wrote the rules tell me what terms and conditions I failed to abide by? I try and do everything on the up and up.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:37:56 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I never use paypal for this reason. They are a bunch of crooks

how are they a bunch of crooks? The OP did not follow the policy if he had he would have been protected. Should PayPal take a loss because he failed? Should they be a benevolent company that takes a loss for everyone that fails to follow policy? Before we put this policy in place people working together would "ship" nothing and file chargebacks. We had no way to show a product was delivered no recourse, nothing.

So tell me should PayPal who only provides you a way to act like a merchant and accept funds suffer a loss because you didn't follow the rules?

Any merchant online is subject to the same exact process. should PayPal say awwwee we love our customers so much that we should take a loss for their inability to follow process? Holy shit this country is turning into a bunch of mommas boys that wants someone to hold their hand and take responsibility for their inaction.

Remember this... had he followed the policy he'd have the money.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:38:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Paypal and Ebay are both shitty.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:38:15 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

CJ

I don't even think they can take it out of the bank account that you first put it into it.

Once its out of paypal, they cannot take it unless you give them direct permission to debit funds.

When in your paypal account, use caution.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:38:36 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Okay shovelhead PayPal didnt steal my money this person stole my item and Paypal is an accomplice.

Wrong again. You are the accomplice for not doing the job right.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:38:59 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I doubt they will ever do much about it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:40:33 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

It sucks I know but your statement is untrue. For 7 yrs I dealt with this kind of manufactured truth and 99% of the time when someone comes to a website and screams PP stole their money it is just not true. We would get state Attorney General offices calling us raising hell until we pointed out that the resident failed to mention a few things when they complained. At least you were honest in admitting it was your fault but the title is a bit misleading.

And yes it burns me personally because I built much of their fraud policy and this policy in particular because we took heavy losses because people would rip us off. Should we soak up the loss because you didn't follow through on the commitment?

I understand what terms and conditions mean.  I also understand that he provided Paylal with proof of delivery, and shipped to a PP verified address.  The fact that you're implying that he didn't follow through on a commitment shows that the PP policy you helped write seems to be broken.  This makes me wary of doing business with the new internet payment venture you're working on, if you plan on implementing policies that screw so many people so frequently as Paypal does.  Let's call a spade a spade here... the OP did everything reasonable to ensure delivery.

And as far as revenge goes, there are only so many Matthew Fosters listed in Gilbert, AZ on Zabasearch.  Maybe we could turn this into one of those epic 500-page threads like the Arizona Parking Solutions thing, and bring a massive nationwide internet beatdown upon this guy?  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:41:05 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You seriously have no fricken idea what your talking about. I did do it right and even used paypals shipping service to ship the item.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:42:00 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What did he do that did not follow the terms ?

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:42:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:43:05 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Paypal is holding ~$1400 of my money right now.  It's almost criminal what they can get away with.  If you want some company with your misery you can go to paypalsucks.com and read where other people have been screwed too.

Consider yourself lucky that it's only on paper you got fucked.  At least you have your money, right?

and what policy did you not follow? Probably the same ones the idiots on PPsucks didn't follow. There is not 1 person on that site that did what they were supposed to do that lost money.

PayPal is so freakin regulated it is not funny. They couldn't get away with half the shit people claim.

there are rules to being a merchant and accepting money and selling etc etc. If PayPal was breaking rules they'd be shut down. Jesus gents this is not rocket science. They can't just arbitrarily steal your money. The only way the ONLY way is if you screw up.

And if you had a merchant account with visa and Mastercard they'd do the same EXACT thing. There are rules to doing business. Just cause you put it in a box with postage doesn't mean you wipe away responsibility.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You seriously have no fricken idea what your talking about. I did do it right and even used paypals shipping service to ship the item.

there are just a number of people who haven't gotten fucked yet and they are still supportive of paypal.  not many, but a few.  they seem to be in complete denial of the *thousands and thousands* of people that have just been royally FUCKED in the ass by paypal.  that will change the first time they have a problem and see first hand how paypal's "customer service" actually works.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:46:18 AM EDT
[#32]
you just got screwed.  its a common occurance.  there are people the specialize in doing to you until the screwed figures it out the hard way.  

Ebay/Paypal know that its happening and apprently dont care.  they also know who the people are too.

the make sure you follow their instructions exactly or you dont get any protection.

my friend sent a NIB cam corder to a guy in LA.  He got it back in peices. the guy in LA only needed a part so he canablized my friends NIB cam and then told ebay/paypal it was broken.  my freind is out his $$ and a NIB camera.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:46:47 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

and what policy did you not follow? Probably the same ones the idiots on PPsucks didn't follow. There is not 1 person on that site that did what they were supposed to do that lost money.

PayPal is so freakin regulated it is not funny. They couldn't get away with half the shit people claim.

there are rules to being a merchant and accepting money and selling etc etc. If PayPal was breaking rules they'd be shut down. Jesus gents this is not rocket science. They can't just arbitrarily steal your money. The only way the ONLY way is if you screw up.

And if you had a merchant account with visa and Mastercard they'd do the same EXACT thing. There are rules to doing business. Just cause you put it in a box with postage doesn't mean you wipe away responsibility.

The person that bought the tickets has them and also has their money back.  Isn't that considered fraud and/or theft?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:47:50 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't have the patience to respond to your post, except to say read my previous post above.  it's just that you haven't been fucked by them yet.  trust me, I can see where you're coming from.  if you'd been through what I have, you wouldn't be defending them.  there's nothing really to argue about it, you just don't have the perspective to even understand.  it's like if I have been been anally raped by an NBA team and you tell me it couldn't have been all that bad.  getting on the bad side of paypal, you just wouldn't get it unless you've been there.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:53:06 AM EDT
[#35]
It also sucks that I left him positive feedback when I got my money thru paypal.

Now it looks like someone bought something from him at the same time and he never sent thier item.

I wish there was a way I could take my feedback back otherwise its just contributing to other people getting ripped off by this guy.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:54:33 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm sorry to hear about your bad luck with paypal, I too have had problems with them.

I used to make a dime here and there selling new and used paintball gear via various online paintball communities.

On one such occasion, I sold an older, used Sterling.  The seller paid me, and a few days later I shipped out the marker.  As I didn't have the time to do it the next day, I alerted him that it would not be shipped out to him for another day or so.  He agreed that this was fine, and was eager to receive the marker.

Two weeks alter after not hearing back from him and having confirmation of the marker getting to him (I always ship with a tracking number), I received a notice that paypal would be refunding his money back.  The buyer claimed that he never received the package, despite my being able to show proof that it had, in fact, been delivered.

I logged into my paypal account, and the funds were gone, and the next day my account was locked.

I now exclusively use Money Orders or FTF deals when able to.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:55:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Since EBAYs purchase of PayPal they force you to accept paypal for most transactions.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:57:30 AM EDT
[#38]
I stopped using E-Bay/PayPal a couple years ago. I surf E-Bay for price comparison and to get a feel for what I can expect condition to be on items that I'm looking for. E-Bay has had it's day and the sharks and sleaze have taken over. It's not much more than a glorified dollar store or third rate car dealer.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:58:06 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Since you wrote the rules tell me what terms and conditions I failed to abide by? I try and do everything on the up and up.

You did not do signature/delivery confirmation. Seriously think about it. They'd last about a month if they didn't have that rule.  But non delivery is the sellers fault cut and dry. you have to protect yourself. If they didn't have that every dirtbag in the US would file non delivery and get the product and their money. And there are tons of people out there that do do that. So much so that if there is a pattern we would shut them down on the buyer side. There is a percentage ratio of like .03 or something for non delivery in the US Merchant association so if someone tops that they are either fraud non delivery claims or really unlucky so we do delivery.

Here is where it is bad in my opinion. we all know that UPS and fedEx will just drop stuff off with signature or fake it or give it to a receptionist. All can be filed on but again all PP contracts to do is provide you a means of accepting a CC payment or ACH.

If you were Macys.com or Cabelas etc etc you'd have the same exact risks and the same things happen to them.

The difference is they can pass the cost on to us. sorry you got ripped off but I helped start that company and if you sit down and follow the rules and do the right things you will not lose. I met people who take in millions of revenue every year and they don't lose money. EVER. Not because PP sides with them but they follow the rules.

One guy on eBay gothamcityshoes started selling out of a studio apartment. Now he flies by his own Lear Jet. Selling frigging shoes. Another guy rebuilt old machines as a hobby lived in a trailer now he is also a multi millionaire. He follows the rules never has a complaint never loses money.

How do they do it? They follow the rules. In 7 yrs my team worked hundreds and thousands of criminal cases. Not 1 was related to someone who followed the rules.

1/3 of the people using PP make their living solely on PP and ebay. They follow the rules pay attention to who they sell to and
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:58:16 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
It also sucks that I left him positive feedback when I got my money thru paypal.

Now it looks like someone bought something from him at the same time and he never sent thier item.

I wish there was a way I could take my feedback back otherwise its just contributing to other people getting ripped off by this guy.

Can't you take them to civil court?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:04:24 PM EDT
[#41]
This world is full of crooks, paypal is one of them and so is ebay and craigslist.  Funny how a buyer can pay for something, seller ships item(s) with delivery confirmation either thru UPS, USPS or Fedex and buyer receives said item then complains that he doesn't like it disputes the auction stating he never got item when he really did and now seller is out Item and money.   Don't do paypal demand a USPS MO or cashiers check, lots of people are doing this, paper trails suck especially once the tax bill gets passed.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:06:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Call the airline and report the ticket lost/stolen.  Make sure that ticket you sold can never be used.  Then see if they can reissue the ticket to you again.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:08:52 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Call the airline and report the ticket lost/stolen.  Make sure that ticket you sold can never be used.  Then see if they can reissue the ticket to you again.
Will the airlines hold the new buyer of the stolen/lost ticket at the counter while some TSA agent preps a room for a full body cavity search? :D
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:08:58 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I understand what terms and conditions mean.  I also understand that he provided Paylal with proof of delivery, and shipped to a PP verified address.  The fact that you're implying that he didn't follow through on a commitment shows that the PP policy you helped write seems to be broken.  This makes me wary of doing business with the new internet payment venture you're working on, if you plan on implementing policies that screw so many people so frequently as Paypal does.  Let's call a spade a spade here... the OP did everything reasonable to ensure delivery.

And as far as revenge goes, there are only so many Matthew Fosters listed in Gilbert, AZ on Zabasearch.  Maybe we could turn this into one of those epic 500-page threads like the Arizona Parking Solutions thing, and bring a massive nationwide internet beatdown upon this guy?  

Let's get this straight are you accusing me of making policies that screw or rip off people. If so please just answer yes. Are you suggesting that the company I am working for now has hired someone that would make policies for them that would screw people? Getting a bit personal now aren't you... so what about it?

So let's get this clear are you fucking accusing me of doing anything except being the single most stalwart advocate and worker that protects the money of customers on the internet?

RE-Read what the OP said before you make accusations. He didn't do signature confirmation so no he didn't do everything. Do you understand responsibility? Apparently you don't.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:09:10 PM EDT
[#45]
fuck paypal, i can't believe theres people in here actually defending that god awful piece of shit scam supporting company.

everyone with a paypal account needs to go and cancel it before they get ripped off.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:09:34 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you do signature confirmation? Or was that wrong in your original post?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:09:40 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Will the airlines hold the new buyer of the stolen/lost ticket at the counter while some TSA agent preps a room for a full body cavity search? :D

We can always hope.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:10:30 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

there are just a number of people who haven't gotten fucked yet and they are still supportive of paypal.  not many, but a few.  they seem to be in complete denial of the *thousands and thousands* of people that have just been royally FUCKED in the ass by paypal.  that will change the first time they have a problem and see first hand how paypal's "customer service" actually works.

LOL you have a lot in common with the other people that claim they were fucked by PP.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:15:05 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL you have a lot in common with the other people that claim they were fucked by PP.

Again, there's no way to "argue" about it.  You're on the outside looking in trying to explain to everyone else why they're wrong about the experience they've had and you haven't.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:16:23 PM EDT
[#50]
They're over the top anti-gun and have greatly aided Chinese companies in selling goods that violate U.S. and International copyright and patent laws. The Chinese clone business exploded when ebay/paypal came around.

Fuck them.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top