Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/19/2009 10:04:38 AM EST
Is it really as bad as they say? My dad LOVES to eat his burgers and steak medium rare whenever possible. I worry that he will get sick but he says that it is "the best" way to have it. I disagree, and eat burgers and steak at least medium well if not well done just to make sure that the animal is edible.

Who is right?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:05:28 AM EST
You are wrong.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:06:17 AM EST
Steak should be served rare to medium rare.

It is not going to harm you. You can eat it raw and it won't hurt you. Ever hear of tar-tar?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:08:18 AM EST
Originally Posted By 20iner:

It is not going to harm you. You can eat it raw and it won't hurt you. Ever hear of tar-tar?

What he said, anything more than medium rare is burned...but I don't like it raw.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:09:19 AM EST
Medium = OK

< Medium = Fail

IMO
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:10:23 AM EST
hamburgers should be brown

steaks should be red
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:10:25 AM EST
Steak the bloodier the better. Hamburger get it cook.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:11:05 AM EST
The only thing "bad" about eating hamburger under cooked, is that bacteria can get caught and fester in the grinding equipment. If it comes from a reputable business, I whole heartily eat rare hamburger.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:11:07 AM EST

Winner winner steak dinner!
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:11:20 AM EST
Steak is safe rare. Hamburger isnt. Although Ive eaten burgers that werent exactly cooked to health dept standards with no ill effects.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:11:23 AM EST
"well done" is an insult to the cow, and possibly beef in general.

I believe you're looking for TOFU.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:13:00 AM EST
We had a thread here 5~6 weeks ago where guys were talking about eating raw hamburger.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:13:07 AM EST
Hamburger can be potentially bad if eaten undercooked. This is because bad guys (e-coli) from the grinder are transferred from the outside to the inside. They can survive under cooking.

As for steak, any bad guys live in the surface. Searing to rare 'should' be OK to kill them.

I eat all my burgers well done. Steak medium-rare to medium.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:13:48 AM EST
Steak = single slab of meat. As long as the outer surface is seared enough to kill any microorganisms, the inside can be as rare as you like. With ground meat, any surface bacteria from the starting material will be mixed throughout - that's why we're told to cook ground meat thoroughly. If the ground meat has been gamma-irradiated, it's safe to eat rare because the microorganisms have been killed.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:14:08 AM EST
medium steaks - - - good

medium burgers - - - good
the problem that can arise with medium ground beef is that there is more of a chance for bacteria in the meat
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:14:38 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:15:18 AM EST
Any meat that has been exposed to cutting or grinding equipment should be cooked to brown. Steak is fine medium because the inside wasn't touched by anything. ground beef should be cooked through.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:15:27 AM EST

Agree. Cavemen ate raw meat,didn't kill them. Err, wait.....
I like my steak rare.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:15:44 AM EST
i like my steaks medium rare

i like my burgers medium well
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:16:25 AM EST
I get my burgers rare - medium rare and my steaks rare.
Been eating this way for my whole life and Im still kicking

Brown beef = overcooked
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:17:04 AM EST
Originally Posted By nosliw:

steaks should be red

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:17:14 AM EST
With steak you sear the surface area and kill bacteria.

With hamburg the whole thing is surface meat ground up.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:17:55 AM EST
I've only eaten one steak that I would consider medium rare, and I only resisted the urge to vomit because it would have upset the other folks at the table. The taste of blood is not something I hungrily anticipate when eating a steak, so to have had one virtually swimming in it was beyond gross. I didn't suffer any ill effects from eating it, but the experience was less than pleasant.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:18:22 AM EST
Not me man.

I want my meat cooked.

No pink inside at all.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:19:16 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/19/2009 10:20:51 AM EST by Kurg]
It comes down to exposed surface area. A steak has an exposed surface but inside it's likely to be reasonably sterile. Hamburger has a lot of surface area, all of it exposed to the grinder and otherwise exposed. It's more likely to pick up bacteria because more of it is exposed.

Personally I prefer medium rare with a good steak and medium with hamburger though good hamburger can be good just slightly red/purplish in the middle sometimes.

PS: If you're going to eat steak medium well or well done, you might as well put a bib on and lather that sombitch with ketchup, or possibly wear a dress. Because you're either a broad or a hillbilly.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:20:19 AM EST
The idea is to get a steak then turn that into hamburger or steak tartare. This is not mixing anything, just having the steak in a different form.

Safer.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:21:53 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:22:48 AM EST
Originally Posted By nosliw:

steaks should be red

There is much truth to be had in this post.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:26:18 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:27:22 AM EST
Steak=

Burger=

At least for me.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:29:01 AM EST
I don't like eating raw meat. Some people do. *shrug*

I haven't known anyone to die from it, or even get particularly ill.. Not from beef anyway. I know someone who picked up worms from sushi though.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:29:17 AM EST
MEd Rare for the Win.....had a family get together and eveyone wanted their steak done well...needless to say I never cooked for them again..and I grind my own hamburger from a brisket and that is the best tasting burger I've ever eat'n..I also cook that to a Med rare..
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:31:47 AM EST
Originally Posted By Exp44:
I've only eaten one steak that I would consider medium rare, and I only resisted the urge to vomit because it would have upset the other folks at the table. The taste of blood is not something I hungrily anticipate when eating a steak, so to have had one virtually swimming in it was beyond gross. I didn't suffer any ill effects from eating it, but the experience was less than pleasant.

Damnit... All this talk about blood makes me HUNGRY!!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:33:16 AM EST
Originally Posted By Backstop:
Not me man.

I want my meat cooked.

No pink inside at all.

Yep, G*D gave man fire for a reason. Use it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:33:26 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:35:51 AM EST
It's all about personal preference.

Yet anything over medium-rare=MEGA FAIL!

It's called "red meat" for a reason.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:42:14 AM EST
Rare, rare, rare... burgers, steaks, doesn't matter.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:44:31 AM EST
I was under the impression that eating a steak or burger thats rare opens up the risk of catching parasites

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:47:06 AM EST
Steak - It should be medium rare. If you won't do that, save your money, and eat something else.

Burgers - Medium is as rare as I'm willing to go with hamburger.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:48:58 AM EST
medium rare is the way to go
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:49:51 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/19/2009 10:54:01 AM EST by Admiral_Crunch]

Steak has no blood in it. Even raw. That red juice you're seeing isn't blood. It's water with proteins dissolved in it. The proteins change to a brown color when heated.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:51:59 AM EST
Originally Posted By JackDaniels556:
I was under the impression that eating a steak or burger thats rare opens up the risk of catching parasites

Parasites? Nobody cares about parasites. We've got a whole fucking city full right between VA and MD that nobody says shit about.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:53:15 AM EST
Originally Posted By JackDaniels556:

Steak, no. Pork, yes. Always cook pork to at least 150, which will leave the center slightly pinkish. No rarer. I go for 155 just to be safe. That's still well below the 180 degree desert that most people cook it. And parasites in pork are very rare nowadays. Nowhere near the issue it used to be.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:55:11 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/19/2009 10:55:50 AM EST by 20iner]

Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:

Steak has no blood in it. Even raw. That red juice you're seeing isn't blood. It's water with protein in it. The proteins change to a brown color when heated.
I think Exp44, like a lot of people, tried to eat something he already decided he wasn't going to like. He had to find a reason he didn't like it, so he thinks he tasted blood clot.

Come to think of it, I've never actually tasted a blood clot. What's it taste like?

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:56:58 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:56:59 AM EST
Originally Posted By Gloftoe:

Tasting blood? Someone did it wrong. Rare steak tastes nothing like blood.

I've eaten 100% raw meat for almost 7 years now... never had a problem (quite the opposite actually). I do get quality meat (grass fed, organic, etc., bison, beef, etc.) from known sources and grind my own "hamburger" (e.g. ground top round & other cuts). Heat adds absolutely nothing to flavor, only alters the texture (& destroys enzymes, denatures proteins, fats, oils, etc.,). Try cooking without any spices or condiments at all.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:57:09 AM EST
Originally Posted By Ohio_Bill:
Steak = single slab of meat. As long as the outer surface is seared enough to kill any microorganisms, the inside can be as rare as you like. With ground meat, any surface bacteria from the starting material will be mixed throughout - that's why we're told to cook ground meat thoroughly. If the ground meat has been gamma-irradiated, it's safe to eat rare because the microorganisms have been killed.

This....

People who eat well done steaks usually turn out to be communists.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:57:21 AM EST
It is OK to eat rare hamburger, IF it is a good, fresh cut of meat and you have JUST ground it yourself. Otherwise, hamburger should be fully cooked.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:58:27 AM EST
Raw meat is for lesser forms of life than man. We didn't rise out of the mire, learn to walk upright and create fire just to go back to eating raw meat.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:58:29 AM EST
Knock his horns off....wipe his ass, and trot him in.

YUMM.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:58:55 AM EST
Steak is fine rare. Hamburger is a different grade of beef and is recommended fully cooked before consumption. Ecoli, among other things is a big concern.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top