Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2002 5:26:10 PM EDT
Just bought a house with some acreage, and of course will be asking tons of questions since I've got lots of plans.

But one of the first things I'd like to do is remove some old metal fence posts.

There is fence line right behind my house that I'd like to get rid of for easier access to my property (and that fence line kind of ruins the scenery right out back.

The actual fence is easy to get rid of. But what's the easiest way to get those old fence posts out?

A friend recommended attatching a bumper jack and some chain, but there's got to be a better way.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 5:32:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 5:33:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Cutting torch?
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 5:34:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Ford  351 4WD and chain  would be easy !
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 5:35:12 PM EDT
[#4]
The munroe effect at 26,000fps.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 5:41:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 5:43:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Barrett .50 in back of  F-150 351 4-WD , would work  also, just aim 3'' low  and out they come ! Saves  gas ?
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 5:45:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the suggestions guys. But I don't want to leave ruts in my yard (still a bit soft from rain and snow) and I don't want to have any little metal stumps to run over with my mower.

Brouhaha, thanks for the heads up I'll check out the rental places and such around here and see if they've got one of those contraptions. I figured their had to be some kind of specialty tool out there for this.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 5:53:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Somehow I knew a Texan would be the first to answer this question!!!!!!

He even got the right answer- Yank 'emm out!  My brother and I did that one summer for dad, just yanking down T-posts with the tractor.  Then we had to put new ones up......what a bummer.

Have fun bro!
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 5:54:45 PM EDT
[#9]
How deep are they set in the ground? If only so the anchors are below grond level work them until they are loose and they will pull up easy enough.
I am a farm boy so the best method is a tractor and loader with a log chain or a skid loader will work to.
IF the old fencing is still there and half buried as is the case with a  lot of old fence pull the posts with the wire on it yet and tear it all apart after you rip it out.
JACKING OUT POSTS SOUNDS LIKE A LOT OF WORK so i would use a tractor or rip them out with a truck and chain.
One word of caution, do not mix log chains with nylon tow ropes( big sling shot)
Hope this helps.

Lee
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 6:08:33 PM EDT
[#10]
We either used a spud bar with a fulcrum or tied a chain the a tractor's hydraulics and the post then used the hydraulics to lift the post out.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 6:17:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Fertilizer, Diesel Fuel, M-80 and a match!
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 7:00:52 PM EDT
[#12]
SON! You're in Missouri...right?...well...MULES!!!!

Just had to put my little humor in.

Seriously,
If you're talking about the metal t-posts, the ones with the knobs on the face side, here's some help.

The all manual hernia bustin' method (for those with nothing to lose).
1.Squat down real close, grab the post with two hands, now PRESS with your legs and pull that som'btch out of there!
2.After it doesn't come out, grab the top and crank it real hard back and forth, back and forth and to and fro, to and fro then  repeat step one.

IF you haven't bent it completely to the ground yet (doesn't really matter cause their made of some super secret metal and that don't hurt'm none), try this next method.

The, I'LL SHOW YOU, YOU GOOD FER NUTHIN LOW DOWN SUM BTCH!!! Method number two.
1. find the BIGGEST hank of chain you can find and wrap it around your ball hitch on your truck. Ain't got no truck? Hmmm...Hook it around one of your leaf springs on your rearend( I MEAN YOUR CAR'S REAREND...no good fer nuthin.....).
2. back up to within a reasonable proximity of the object post.
3. string out the chain towards post. When you find that it's just a tad bit too short cuss a little while.
4. pick up that piece of faded-once brightly-colored string on the ground there and... since YOU AIN'T BACKIN UP ANYMORE FOR THAT DAMN POST, tie it up real nice to the chain with the string.
-----Now, here comes the real EXCITING part--------
5. jump back into the driver's seat with that- sh_t-eatin' grin cause you know you're the smartest one out there-drop her into low and  FLOOR IT MAN!!!!
At this moment listen carefully for the pop of the balin' twine and the zing of the chain flying through the air, back window, and possibly through YOUR HEAD! WOW, does that ever smart!

While you're in the hospitol mending your broken head, your
-wife (who told you to go ask someone to start with)
-brother(who told you how dad always done it)
-neighbor(who needed the extra fence post and figured you weren't ever gonna use them after watching you try and get them out)

used something like these
[url]www.hi-lift.com[/url]
[url]w3.gorge.net/tpostj[/url]

or else you can dig them out by hand.
[:D]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 7:02:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Hi lift jack and chain.....you're good to go!

SRM
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 7:12:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 7:24:39 PM EDT
[#15]
This method is quite efficient especially if you want to save the fence post for later use.

You will need a 8 ft. 2" pipe and a come-along.

Stand the pipe besides the fence post and hook the come-along to the top of the pipe. while an acquaintance holds the pipe for you, tie the other end of the come-along to the fence post and then using the ratcheting lever, pull the fence post out.

Link Posted: 2/13/2002 7:33:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Length of chain, and a high lift jack. If the chain slips, use a bit of innertube to give it some grip.. Throw a couple turns of chain, snugly around the post, then over the "lug" of the jack..Let it do the work..

meplat-
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 7:42:36 PM EDT
[#17]
My farmer Uncle does it like thebeekeper1 said. Take yer front end loader tractor, and a chain. Lower scoop to a couple of feet above post. Tie the chain (which is secured to the scoop, usually at the bar that holds the teeth thingies) around post. Pull out by lifting the scoop. This takes two people obviously, one to run the tractor and one to set it up and keep the chain on until there is sufficient pressure to hold it. I did this once. It was fun because I was the one in the tractor.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 8:02:02 PM EDT
[#18]
[url=http://www.northerntool.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=13224&prmenbr=6970]This is the tool.[/url]
I bought one & it works great.

Paul
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 9:16:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Okay, all you wannabe farmboys get outta the way. I'm helpin now. The method that you all missed and uses the cheapest equipment is the wheel  method. In this case he don't want tire tracks but who knows, its so cheap and easy he might do it anyway. Take your chain and attach to post at base, attach other end to vehicle. Now, slip a wheel rim on edge under the chain next to the post. When you pull, the chain pulls upward and post comes right out.

sheesh.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 10:49:55 PM EDT
[#20]
When not worryed bout the fence we just pull ithe whiole row up posts and all with the tractor. If you dont have one and you have property get one yull need for your other propery. And get a newer one or yull py for a new one in parts or if you is cheap get a high lif and a piece of chain every person on earth needs a high lift i dont care what they do. or you can rock it back and foutth by hand but thats alot of work
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 10:54:30 PM EDT
[#21]
The tool suggested by 11bc2 is the best if you don't want ruts in the yard.  Harbor Freight also sells one.  Should you need to remove a wooden post, the wheel method works great, but I sugggest that you use a tractor wheel.  I have done both many times.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 10:57:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Dynamite?

It works on tree stumps.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 6:02:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 6:17:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
In my part of Missouri we use the hydraulics of a tractor.  A bar with a hook that links the arms, then a chain, voila, they are pulled straight out without bending them.  Lacking a tractor you need a fat Missouri girlfriend and wet weather, but not so wet she can't get any traction.  
View Quote

That's how I was taught to do it!!

edited to add:  (although we substituted a fat corn-fed Ohio step-sister...)
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 6:35:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
In my part of Missouri we use the hydraulics of a tractor.  A bar with a hook that links the arms, then a chain, voila, they are pulled straight out without bending them.  Lacking a tractor you need a fat Missouri girlfriend and wet weather, but not so wet she can't get any traction.  
View Quote

This is the method we used. Can't verify the fat girlfriend bit, cause we always had a couple of tractors.  A small one works fine.

I have done a few by hand, in the front yard.  We had a couple of trees planted, and after they were well established I had 6 posts to remove and a lawn full of new grass.  After a couple of days of rain, you rock 'em back and forth a while and pull.  Repeat until you are too tired to do that, and try again tomorrow.

If you can't find the proper hand tool, look at the Tractor Supply website. Bet they have the remover, i KNOW they have the installer gizmo.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 6:58:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Gee, all that work!

Just put an ad in the newspaper or a sign in front yard of your house that says "FREE METAL FENCE POSTS".

They'll be gone in a day. Trust me. Anything I've put in my yard that said "free to good home" was gone in a matter of hours.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 9:19:07 PM EDT
[#27]
I can't remember who it was, but some time ago there was a post about removing a dead goat from your barn roof...It involved a grappling hook and a Jeep!

I wish I could find that - This vaguely reminds me of that for some reason.

As for my .02, wouldn't it be easier to just drive them in to the ground?[:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top