Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2002 10:05:03 PM EDT
I've got a good pair of earmuffs (Tac 7's), and a couple of good non-electronic muffs.  However, I realize I need more protection that just the muffs when I am shooting a .50 and also with some lighter guns with muzzle brakes (16" bbl DSA SA-58 comes to mind).

Since I invested in the Tac 7's, I am wondering what the best in the ear plugs that won't significantly interfere with the amplification the Tac 7's provide.  I seem to recall seeing some plugs at one point that wouldn't interfere with normal sounds but would block out louder stuff.

Thanks!!

AFARR
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 10:39:00 PM EDT
[#1]
WalMart sells some that allow for normal hearing, but block out loud noises.  I can't recall the actual name, but it's Sonic something.  WalMart only sells the medium size, but if you call the company, they'll send you new plugs in whatever size you need.  IIRC, they are around $7.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 1:09:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Silencio Super Sonic Ear Plugs – Brownell’s carries them.

Don’t know how far they stick out your ear – they may interfere with some ear muffs.  I’m wondering if they will work as designed when used under muffs (which have already reduced much of the sound).

Personally, I like to double up with Howard Leight “Quite” plugs.  
[url]216.120.94.37/cgi-bin/WebObjects/HLSite.woa/wa/product?key=quiet[/url]  

They’re not easy to find.  However, they’re reusable, made of closed cell foam (so they don’t pick up dirt like the open cell type), and are easy to take out and put in repeatedly.  They won’t suddenly pop out of your ear canal like the disposable, open cell type, that you roll before putting in your ear.  

They don’t seem to be quite as effective as the roll type plugs, which is OK when you’re doubling up.  Also, they’re available in a reusable plastic container.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 1:28:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll give a second to the Howard Leight plugs.  I prefer the "MAX-Lite", and you can get them from Dillon.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 3:53:57 AM EDT
[#4]
i have used two .45ACP rounds for years !! learned that trick from an ol Marine range master..., i have tried many different types but the two .45 ACPs work fine fer me !!

they are also pretty cheap too !!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 4:47:33 AM EDT
[#5]
There are a number of increadibly cheap plugs that work amazingly well.  e.a.r. and others are fine.

Test results done years ago show that they attenuate as much as 28db, which is about as good as the BEST muffs.  They're disposable but washable so will work for years.

You can get fancier plugs, but if you want to save a buck the foam disposables are great.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 5:09:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I just saw these on another discussion.  They look like they should work well.  They are suppose to be the new plug for the military.  I don't know for sure though.

[url]http://www.aosafety.com/shooters/products/ear_03.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 7:06:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 7:10:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 12:56:25 PM EDT
[#9]
How about the custom fit silicone plugs?  I know at least one guy that wears these under 6s muffs.  They are more comfortable and provide better protection than the disposable plugs I have tried.  [url]http://www.earinc.com/instamold.html[/url]  You can probably get them done at the local gun show.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 12:58:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Just use nature's earplugs. Earwax!
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 1:08:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I refuse to where earmuffs-plugs.  I stand firm that it is not the report of a firearm that reduces one's hearing but the incessent nagging of my "better" half
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 6:05:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Unrepentant, you must not have been married too long.  About a week after the honeymoon, I learned to completely tune out the frequencies that comprise my wife's voice.
Link Posted: 2/20/2002 5:13:38 PM EDT
[#13]
The Army has just gone to a reversible ear plug --   Aearo Combat Arms EarPlug.  Both sides look like the military orange flanged type. One side for steady noise (like in an aircraft) and the other is for impact noise (like gunshots).  The sides are color coded -- OD out for gun shots; yellow out for aircraft travel.  Cost is about $6.75 a pair.  

I ordered a couple from Botach and they just arrived today so I haven't tried them yet. Normally I just use whatever foam plugs I can under the muffs.

If you want to check them out or some of the other Aearo earplugs click on [url] http://botachtactical.com/aearearprot.html [/url].  The link has a discusssion of DOD's noise protection plan and some interesting graphs that show that hearing is protected from gunshots but other noise necessary for tactical awareness (including voice commands) still comes through.  Don't know if its true.

Edited to add more info.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top