Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/9/2005 10:04:30 AM EDT
Brussels Ban on Bavarian Bosoms

A dirndl is a traditional costume worn by women in Bavaria and Austria. It is characterised by a generally rather revealing décolleté and consists of a dress and apron with a tight, low-cut top whose figure enhancing effect is accentuated by a short white blouse. Bavarian barmaids typically dress in dirndls. However, under the European Union’s Optical Radiation Directive, which is to be voted in the European Parliament next month, employers face heavy fines if they fail to protect their employees against the risk of sunburn.

When it dawned on the Bavarians earlier this week that the directive would entail that their dirndl-dressed barmaids cover up their bosoms when serving drinks outside, there were fierce protests against the EU. “This is European law-making at its most pedantic,” said Munich’s lord mayor, Christian Ude. The organisers of the world’s biggest beer festival, the Munich Oktoberfest, called the proposed ban “an attack on the traditions of [their] region.” The spokesman of the Bavarian Hotel and Restaurant Union said “the dirndl is a part of Bavarian culture and enjoyment of life. I have consulted many waitresses and none of them have told me that sunburn in the décolleté area has ever been a problem.”

Paul-Joachim Kubosch, the Bavarian EU representative in Brussels, declared yesterday that Bavarians need not worry. In his opinion the EU directive will not ban revealing bosoms because it is only aimed at “hazardous professions” where employees are exposed to sunburn. “The waitresses in the Munich biergardens do not belong to this category,” he said. Construction workers, however, do.

Earlier, Britian opted out of signing the Optical Radiation Directive because it feared that the directive would outlaw bare-chested British builders. According to London it is up to employees and employers to use their common sense to guard against the sun. Germany, however, did not opt out. Kubosch’s explanation has alarmed Bavarian construction workers. Heinrich Traublinger, the president of the federation of Upper-Bavarian construction companies, called the proposed directive, “a new proof that the Brussels bureaucrats are totally out of touch with reality.” “Such a stupid idea can only originate in rain-drenched Brussels,” he said. Traiblinger has written an urgent letter to the Bavarian Prime Minister Edmund Stoiber asking him to try to stop the “ridiculous directive.”

www.brusselsjournal.com/node/152

I'm canceling my trip to Octoberfest.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:07:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mattja:
When it dawned on the Bavarians earlier this week that the directive would entail that their dirndl-dressed barmaids cover up their bosoms when serving drinks outside, there were fierce protests against the EU. “This is European law-making at its most pedantic,” said Munich’s lord mayor, Christian Ude. The organisers of the world’s biggest beer festival, the Munich Oktoberfest, called the proposed ban “an attack on the traditions of [their] region.” The spokesman of the Bavarian Hotel and Restaurant Union said “the dirndl is a part of Bavarian culture and enjoyment of life. I have consulted many waitresses and none of them have told me that sunburn in the décolleté area has ever been a problem.”

Maybe, just MAYBE you stupid motherfuckers should have thought about consequences like this before you JOINED the EU. What spoils!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:11:05 AM EDT
Is there a reason that suncream cannot be used to satisfy this requirement and also permit such lude displays?

NTM
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:11:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Gloftoe:

Maybe, just MAYBE you stupid motherfuckers should have thought about consequences like this before you JOINED the EU. What spoils!

Yep....ya'll made your bed, now you get to lay in it.

-Storm
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:13:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Manic_Moran:
Is there a reason that suncream cannot be used to satisfy this requirement and also permit such lude displays?

NTM

I will fly over and apply as necessary
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:14:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Stormrider:

Originally Posted By Gloftoe:

Yep....ya'll made your bed, now you get to lay in it.

-Storm

Sure...throw the "ladies" in jail and never let 'em see the light of day....
THAT'LL solve EVERYTHING
<hiding my low cut blouses and wench corsetry just in case
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:14:28 AM EDT

However, under the European Union’s Optical Radiation Directive, which is to be voted in the European Parliament next month, employers face heavy fines if they fail to protect their employees against the risk of sunburn.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:14:44 AM EDT
Homos!!!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:15:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2005 10:17:16 AM EDT by DoubleFeed]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:15:57 AM EDT
My face can protect their boobs from sunburn.

I am also willing to applyy and special lotion that may be needed.

I really love boobies.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:17:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By PlaymoreMinds:
Sure...throw the "ladies" in jail and never let 'em see the light of day....
THAT'LL solve EVERYTHING
<hiding my low cut blouses and wench corsetry just in case

Huh?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:18:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DoubleFeed:
They're worried about sunburn?
SUNBURN?
It almost sounds as if the sexually liberated Europeans are trying to make a boobie rule without telling the real reason...
Somebody should be along soon enough to tell us that us sexually backwards Americans only like boobies because we make our women cover themselves. Everybody know Europen women always leave the house topless, thus it is no big deal to them.

To anyone that thinks the US is "King of the Nanny States", just wait. The EU will overtake us VERY soon (if they keep up with stupid shit like this).
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:33:39 AM EDT

They're worried about sunburn?
SUNBURN?

You realise, of course, that sunburn is the main reason why US soldiers aren't permitted to roll their sleeves up in training?

We always found it a source of amusement that they would rather risk heat casualties than allow the use of suncream.

(I am aware that loose-fitting clothing can be used to reduce heat casualties, but BDUs don't qualify, and all you need to is drink more water to counteract the evaporation)

NTM
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:37:44 AM EDT
boobies rule! BAN THE EU!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:00:33 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:05:37 AM EDT

It almost sounds as if the sexually liberated Europeans are trying to make a boobie rule without telling the real reason...

These same ppl. are going after Kosher slaughter and calling it animal rights...
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:06:04 AM EDT

....However, under the European Union’s Optical Radiation Directive, which is...

Is it just me, or is that funny as hell?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:46:14 PM EDT
It sounds like a hoax, but knowing the EU it's probably true.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:50:19 PM EDT
Invade Bavaria.

It's the only way to be sure this never happens.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:51:42 PM EDT
mmmmm CLEAVAGE!!!!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:52:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:58:54 PM EDT
Reminds me of the Ale girls at the last renaissance festival that I went to years ago. On one side there was a girl who was small in proportion and had “little tips” written on her bosom, while on the other side there was a girl with ample proportions with “big tips” written on hers.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:46:51 PM EDT
Free the boobies! for the children
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:52:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Lockedon:

....However, under the European Union’s Optical Radiation Directive, which is...

Is it just me, or is that funny as hell?

It's not just you.

I enjoy hearing these articles from the EU. Sure it means the destruction of most of Western civilization, but watching these dumbasses self-destruct is pretty darn amusing.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:53:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By fight4yourrights:

However, under the European Union’s Optical Radiation Directive, which is to be voted in the European Parliament next month, employers face heavy fines if they fail to protect their employees against the risk of sunburn.

pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/55697/200.jpg

+1

No employer should ever have to pay a fine because their employees get sunburn! If you don't want sunburn, TAKE RESPONIBILITY for protecting yourself and use sunblock - this should not be the responsibility of any government or employer.

Hard hats, safety glasses, respirators, etc., are one thing, but "sunburn protection" being considered standard employer-supplied PPE is just crazy!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:55:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sgtar15:
My face can protect their boobs from sunburn.

I am also willing to applyy and special lotion that may be needed.

I really love boobies.

SGatr15

Spoken like a true man.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:55:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2005 1:58:14 PM EDT by MachinegunManiac]
Slight discomfort of sunburn that doesn't bother anyone that much who sin't a whiny bitch is much better than heatstroke. So they have no rights now I see. Bash the blue-collar workers and take away more of their freedoms. What's next, banning soda anhd coffee from construction sites.

America's construction workers would never tolerate this and would say so in their patented language.

I don't think that breasts are in danger of this law though. I'm sure they'll still allow them to be displayed.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:00:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By lu380:

Originally Posted By fight4yourrights:

pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/55697/200.jpg

+1

No employer should ever have to pay a fine because their employees get sunburn! If you don't want sunburn, TAKE RESPONIBILITY for protecting yourself and use sunblock - this should not be the responsibility of any government or employer.

Hard hats, safety glasses, respirators, etc., are one thing, but "sunburn protection" being considered standard employer-supplied PPE is just crazy!

Hell, even the military will issue the ol' article 15 if you get sunburned to the point if not being able to report for duty!
Too stupid or forgetful to put on sunblock? Suffer or pay...
I've had the "wenches" sunburn before due to forgetfulness (ok...AND stupidity) and if I were these ladies I'd know one thing:

The amount of cleavage shown is directly proportionate to the size of the tip.
'nuff said!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:08:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sgtar15:

I really love boobies.

SGatr15

Bewbies rewl!
Top Top