Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/9/2003 2:55:13 PM EDT
I have been seeing these ads lately on Fox News a lot lately so I decided to check out the website.

It appears ESPN could be dropped as a basic channel and made to a premium channel. That would suck especially because of sunday night football and during baseball season.

http://www.makethemplayfair.com/
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 3:16:07 PM EDT
I own a small private cable company. ESPN has raised my affiliate fees 20% each year for the last 5 years. I am paying them $2.66 a subscriber a month and it's going up another 20% next year. They are basically pricing themselves off my cable system because I can't afford these 20% increases. ESPN's rate is more than I pay Nickelodeon, VH1, MTV, CMT, and Comedy Central combined. It's outrageous when the ecomomy is so bad that they can raise their rates 20% year after year. If I raised my retail cable rates 20% my customers would raise hell with me and go to DBS. Another thing is I hate making little old ladies who never watch ESPN pay the $2.66 a month for a channel they never watch. But ESPN's contracts say Basic Carriage or nothing at all. Hopefully Cox, Comcast, Charter will take the bull by the horns and put a stop to this crap because my company is so small that there is nothing I can do about it, and ESPN has a take it or leave it attitude.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 3:30:22 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Cableman: I own a small private cable company. ESPN has raised my affiliate fees 20% each year for the last 5 years. I am paying them $2.66 a subscriber a month and it's going up another 20% next year. They are basically pricing themselves off my cable system because I can't afford these 20% increases. ESPN's rate is more than I pay Nickelodeon, VH1, MTV, CMT, and Comedy Central combined. It's outrageous when the ecomomy is so bad that they can raise their rates 20% year after year. If I raised my retail cable rates 20% my customers would raise hell with me and go to DBS. Another thing is I hate making little old ladies who never watch ESPN pay the $2.66 a month for a channel they never watch. But ESPN's contracts say Basic Carriage or nothing at all. Hopefully Cox, Comcast, Charter will take the bull by the horns and put a stop to this crap because my company is so small that there is nothing I can do about it, and ESPN has a take it or leave it attitude.
View Quote
I feel for you man, that really sucks. I think ESPN should be an option given they way they are acting. They will get no where near the money for commercials if they go to a premium channel so that should be enough to back off a little bit.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 3:44:04 PM EDT
Sorry for the brief hijack! Cableman, do you ever see the cable market going to a kind of ala carte type priceing as an option? Basically I'd like to be able to pick the channels that I want and not pay for Oxygen, lifetime or any of the other crap channels that I never watch... even if it came out about the same monthly cost I wouldn't mind not having some of that BS to wade through.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 5:24:53 AM EDT
SCREW ESPN I dont want to have to pay more just to watch ESPN. If they dont let the cable companys make it a pay channel, I hope my cable drops them.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 5:28:28 AM EDT
Since I think ESPN sucks, and always have and have it deleted from both of my televisions, I guess you could place me in the don't care category.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 5:54:32 AM EDT
Who cares about ESPN? If Rush isn't on it, why would anyone watch it? You should have an option to choose and pay for only the channels you want.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 8:28:19 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Gunbert: Sorry for the brief hijack! Cableman, do you ever see the cable market going to a kind of ala carte type priceing as an option? Basically I'd like to be able to pick the channels that I want and not pay for Oxygen, lifetime or any of the other crap channels that I never watch... even if it came out about the same monthly cost I wouldn't mind not having some of that BS to wade through.
View Quote
I wrote a business plan for an a-la-carte cable serivce in my MBA program. They already do it in Canada
Top Top