Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2006 4:00:17 PM EDT
    Any appliance experts out there? My maytag just rolled over and died and it is not worth repairing. Gas is not an option. Who makes the best dryer? Who to stay away from?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:02:25 PM EDT
[#1]
"Paging Dr. Electric Clothes Dryer...."
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:05:51 PM EDT
[#2]
What doesn't it do, that makes you think it is dead...? Mine quit blowing hot air, and the guy at the parts shop gave me a $10 thermo-coupler that put it back in the game.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:08:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll sell you a solar clothes dryer for 29.95 + shipping. Cost -0- to operate and lasts many years.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:10:47 PM EDT
[#4]
My Kenmore is 28 years old  and still goin strong.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:11:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a solar clothes dryer when first married.  Always loved how good the sheets smelled.  Works better in summer than winter, though.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:17:33 PM EDT
[#6]
    When you push the "on" button it does not come on. I removed the back and tested the thermal fuses, the on switch with an ohm meter and they are good. Opened up the main cabinet and discovered that it was full, and I mean full, of lint. The exhaust tube that connects to the tumbler body  that the exhaust hose connects to had come lose at some point in time and been slowly filling up the cabinet...lucky not to burn the house down. I suppose there had been some type of seal around the tube, and it just wore out. Looks like a poor design, and I'm not willing to repair it and have it happen again in a couple of years. Dryers are not too expensive, and I would rather be safe than sorry.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:20:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Electric Dryers can be overhauled for a fraction of the cost of a new one .  Unless the drum motor is burned up , I would consider it .    Hell , even if the motor is shot , it might still be cost effective .
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:20:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't know how interested you would be, or you may already have one, but if I may suggest a front load washer to go with that new dryer.

Seriously, the amount of water and energy savings is significant.  What makes me suggest it though is that when I take the clothes out of my washer, they are already almost dry.  Just a bit damp really.  The dryers I have used my whole life have taken far longer than the washing machines.  1.5 hours or more to dry a normal load.  Now, my laundry is dried, folded and put away before the 45 minute wash cycle is complete.  Less wear and tear on the dryer, and obviously less energy expenditure too.  It really speeds up wash day!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:23:07 PM EDT
[#9]
bosch is very nice in fact the washer spin at 1000 rpm so the dryer as very litle to do but it run great
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:23:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
"Paging Dr. Electric Clothes Dryer...."

Careful, he may say there is no "D" in "dryer."
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't buy another Maytag.  Friend was having some issues with her dryer, it wasn't putting out enough hot air.  Authorized repair man fixed it...  a week later her house burned down because of the dryer catching fire.  Everyone was safe, but she lost everything irreplaceable (family pics, etc).
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:31:29 PM EDT
[#12]
    I would consider a front loader at the same time, but I am also buying a 15" planer and don't want to spend for the washer right now. Maybe next month.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:33:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Consumers Reports recently did a rating of washers and dryers, go to your local library and see what they have to say.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top