Posted: 6/23/2011 11:30:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 11:33:05 PM EDT
Goose? Is that you?
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 12:09:45 AM EDT
Say goodbye asshole.

Link Posted: 6/24/2011 12:15:17 AM EDT
How the fuck do you go from sitting then face down to eject

Link Posted: 6/24/2011 12:15:42 AM EDT
Serious question: Does ejecting from the cockpit hurt? You've got a lot of momentum it seams and having a chair push you what looks like 50 yards into the air(unless I'm miscalculating for the plane's drop)
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 12:17:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mdguy90:

Serious question: Does ejecting from the cockpit hurt? You've got a lot of momentum it seams and having a chair push you what looks like 50 yards into the air(unless I'm miscalculating for the plane's drop)

There's totally a joke in there, but I'll leave it alone.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 12:21:59 AM EDT
Better hope that pilot peels off in the right direction or there is a good chance of shit covered glass for supper...
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 12:23:48 AM EDT
Originally Posted By TheRX7Project:

There's totally a joke in there, but I'll leave it alone.

I knew that would come up. I was going to just say "does ejecting hurt" but that wouldn't have been good either.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 12:24:39 AM EDT

Those seats have rockets that propel the poor bastard out into 3-5 hundred knot winds...I'd say that ejecting out of a fighter jet probably isn't like plopping your fat ass down on a cloud of titties!
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 12:26:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By GUNSFORHIRE:

Those seats have rockets that propel the poor bastard out into 3-5 hundred knot winds...I'd say that ejecting out of a fighter jet probably isn't like plopping your fat ass down on a cloud of titties!

I needed a new sigline.

Link Posted: 6/24/2011 12:52:14 AM EDT
Originally Posted By oregonblackrifle:

I needed a new sigline.

Link Posted: 6/24/2011 1:24:03 AM EDT

Ever see the story/Pics of the Navy A6E B/N whose seat partially ejected and left him sticking halfway out of the A/C? F'n freaky. He made a trap on a carrier like that. Damn near killed him.

Link Posted: 6/24/2011 1:28:15 AM EDT

That just don't seem right.

Link Posted: 6/24/2011 1:33:34 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 1:34:34 AM EDT
Better hope that pilot peels off in the right direction or there is a good chance of shit covered glass for supper...

The rockets are mounted on different sides so the that pilot goes off to one side and the co-pilot goes to the other side.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 1:38:40 AM EDT

If everything goes right they are just a little banged up; but the pilot/co-pilot are often injured during an ejection.  Different types of planes inflect different injuries, such as broken legs and such.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 3:57:12 AM EDT
A friend of mine's father graduated from Test Pilot School at Edwards AFB back in the 50's or 60's (he was in the same class as Gus Grissom).

He ejected one time as part of a test and had his back injured as a result.  He said after that the Test Pilot school banned further ejection testing, just for the purposes of testing.

FWIW.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 8:47:48 AM EDT

In modern US aircraft you will experiance 12-14 G's in less then a second, couple that with the wind blast from coming out of a cockpit into a several hundred MPH wind blast.   It is not easy on the body.

Most people black out during ejection and usually wake up either underneath a full canopy chute or on the ground.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 8:56:12 AM EDT
How does that not put sudden stagnation pressure into the entire fuselage and blow it apart?
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:03:36 AM EDT

Mmmmmm, cumulonipplus...

Man, that looks a LOT dirtier written out than what it sounded like in my head.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:08:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By LoBrau:

Mmmmmm, cumulonipplus...

Man, that looks a LOT dirtier written out than what it sounded like in my head.

Just two little letter substitutions...

cumononipplus

Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:08:35 AM EDT

Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:10:06 AM EDT

Given the forces involved, it's common to suffer compression fractures of the vertebra and disc herniations.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:10:21 AM EDT

I would eject, too!  The front fell off!  

Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:15:45 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Tim_the_enchanter:

Ever see the story/Pics of the Navy A6E B/N whose seat partially ejected and left him sticking halfway out of the A/C? F'n freaky. He made a trap on a carrier like that. Damn near killed him.

http://www.gallagher.com/ejection_seat/
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:20:22 AM EDT

ROFL...That's sig material right there.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:22:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/24/2011 9:23:53 AM EDT by GunnyG]

FWIW, I think that is a photoshop.

The little nosecone would have been ripped off the airplane instantaneously. The rocket needed to propel a seated crewmember forward, as shown, would still be burning at that moment.  

Here is some video of a B-47 flight test (ejection test #44) where they ejected downward:

Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:24:33 AM EDT
Is that an actual picture? If so, what keeps the ejectee from being ran over by the jet?
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:28:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/24/2011 9:30:36 AM EDT by phatmax]
I want the story on the BAE Lightning in front of the farm tractor.

and here it is:

http://www.aviationclassics.co.uk/news/issue-5-english-electric-lightning-eject-eject
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:30:29 AM EDT
Originally Posted By egress81:

In modern US aircraft you will experiance 12-14 G's in less then a second, couple that with the wind blast from coming out of a cockpit into a several hundred MPH wind blast.   It is not easy on the body.

Most people black out during ejection and usually wake up either underneath a full canopy chute or on the ground.

My understanding is that there's frequently compression damage if not outright fractures to the spine in a lot of cases.

Beats the alternative though.  In the days before chutes, pilots would just carry a pistol for "emergency egress".
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:30:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By hoodonit00:

Is that an actual picture? If so, what keeps the ejectee from being ran over by the jet?

He's fine as long as he doesn't miss the treadmill.

Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:32:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/24/2011 9:44:57 AM EDT by DzlBenz]
Here's the actual footage of the flight from which this 'shoop was crafted.

Linky

ETA: For a good time, please visit GunnyG's post, a few lines above!

Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:38:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/24/2011 9:39:03 AM EDT by tominjax]

Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:40:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/24/2011 9:43:11 AM EDT by GunnyG]

Originally Posted By GunnyG:

FWIW, I think that is a photoshop.

The little nosecone would have been ripped off the airplane instantaneously. The rocket needed to propel a seated crewmember forward, as shown, would still be burning at that moment.

Here is some video of a B-47 flight test (ejection test #44) where they ejected downward:

Originally Posted By DzlBenz:

Linky

When did I end up on your ignore list?
Oh.. wait... you can't even see this

Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:43:57 AM EDT

Linky

http://localhostr.com/files/7cfa38/wtf_is_this_shit2.jpg  

Shitsky. I didn't see your post. I was dicking around for so long watching the video and looking at other B-47 sites (with my pants around my ankles, mostly) that you got yours in while my "Reply" window was still open. My apologies!

Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:49:03 AM EDT

Linky

http://localhostr.com/files/7cfa38/wtf_is_this_shit2.jpg  

Shitsky. I didn't see your post. I was dicking around for so long watching the video and looking at other B-47 sites (with my pants around my ankles, mostly) that you got yours in while my "Reply" window was still open. My apologies!

<whew!>

Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:51:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By hoodonit00:

Photoshop, not by me though - I'm not that creative.

Here's what the bombardier's position actually looked like, below and forward of the cockpit:

Note the bottom hatch in front of the radome:

Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:56:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Dumpster_Baby:

Photoshop, not by me though - I'm not that creative.

Here's what the bombardier's Ike Knowland's position actually looked like, below and forward of the cockpit:

<snip>

Strategic Air Command FTMFW!!!

Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:59:10 AM EDT
I remember watching ejection seat vids from B-47 tests a few years back. Guys ejecting downwards seemed to end up with broken arms most of the time. That would suck.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 11:31:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/24/2011 11:31:30 AM EDT by Dunkelzahn]
My father would always tell us about a test pilot that would test ejection seats.  One day he brought a pillow in and sat on it (the seat was uncomfortable to him).  When the ejection seat fired, it compressed the pillow and was moving at full speed in the two or three inches of travel before it hit the pilot's ass.  Broke a lot of bones in his hips and back.
Top Top