Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/20/2007 11:37:53 AM EDT
I'll post more when I can, as I have a paper due at 5pm and need to finish it.   But .   I was email yesterday by the Associate Dean of Students yesterday and he told me that I urgently needed to meet with him, yet he gave me no reason.   As an upstanding student this gave me a great cause for concern.      Also my profile pic at the time was this (as it still is):
 So WTF gives?  I'm a threat?

I did meet with him today, I got the email yesterday, and since he only said that it was urgent I met with him I was very concerned, as the MSU officer on the Facebook group Concealedcampus, I felt that this might be part of it.   It wasn't.   I explained to him that I'm a gun rights activist, I shootin the IPSC, IDPA, F-class, and 3-gun.   I feel like he was kinda feeling me out, so to speak.in brief, a professor in my department saw pictures of me holding firearms (an ar-15 no less) and reported me.   Ironically they didn't complain about the pictures of me shoting in an F-class match, or my visit to the CMP store.   I think this is a possible case of baiased discrimination against me for being a gunowner.   I met with him and he had screenshots of my facebook profile with me holing the rifle.   I'm more than a bit pissed off, luckily I'm in no trouble.

Also, if I can I'm gonna use this to get CCW legal on campus.   IE use the fact that I was hassled due to the fact that I'm a gunowner

More to follow after 5pm

EDIT  Here is what happened in a more clear manner:

At 12:30 pm (approx) Thursday I recieved this email from the Associate dean of students, I've only taken out information that you can use to contact him, as there isn't a need for a firemission YET.
"Marc,

I need you to contact the Dean of Students' office immediately and make
an appointment to get on my schedule before 4pm Friday.

Th3333 Bo3333333
Associate Dean of Students
Mississippi State University?"

BTW, My first name is spelled: Mark (it made me feel all nice and warm inside when he took the time to look up my name).  Note he gave me NO REASON as to what this is about.   I emailed him back asking what it was a bout, and he didn't email me back.   I called the office and told the secretary that I had an email from him and wanted to know why he wished to meet with me instead she said "let's get you an appointment" and wouldn't answer the question, when I asked if I could speak to him she said he'd be in meetings all day.    At this point I feared the worst...some sort of backlash against gunowners that are students, however I live off campus.   I have never done anything illegal, or acted in any way that would violate MSU's honor code.  
I talked to my advisor (a horticulture professor) and he knew of no action against me as to any academic misconduct.   Of course...I assumed it was about guns.   I'm a member of several gunrights groups in Facebook, and I have a picture up as my profile picture that Oleg Volk made.

At this point I'm under alot of stress, I have two papers due at 5pm on friday and an online test, and I have this kind of crap to worry about.

So I head off to meet him and arrive at 12:56pm CST, sign in with the secretary.  the Associate Dean comes out and invites me into his office, then closes the door.  I stand until he asks me to sit.   He then asks if I'm wondering why I'm here.   I think "yeah no sh*t DA" and I say "Yes infact I have been quite worried about why you want to meet with me, I've never committed academic misconduct, an honor code violation, or broken any laws".   He says that a professor in my department saw pictures ofme on my facebook that disturbed him and reported me. I explaind that I shoot IDPA, IPSC, 3-Gun, F-class, and I'm a gun rights activist NOT a Cho type.   He goes on to tell me how the world has changed like after 9/11.   Which IMO is BS, if VT hadn't banned students from carry this massacre could have been prevented or mitigated in scale.  Please note that I don't have perfect memory, I'm just typing what I remembered .  I go on to say that they handled this incorrectly by not communicating with me batter.   Then I talk with him about campus security, and I get the chance to explain to him that I've gotton to play a hostage in a local SWAT training event, and that I've shot with individual offiers of SPD.   He even gave me the professors name (if I was a psycho is that really a good Idea?) and he suggested  email and meet with him.  He almost went on almost saying tha I should apologize to the professor, I interupted him and said I'm not going to apologize and that I would meet with him to allay his fears.  I also say that he could have come to me if he was concerned. He also stated that he has met with several other students (10-15) about this as well.   I think this is a pretty shitty way to CYA, as Cho was mentally ill, and pictures of me holding guns that does not mean.
 OH, BTW, their new plan may be to have emergency sirens that have voice capability, still his idea of keeping them safe is having us cower locked inside class rooms (despite the fact that most can't be locked without a key).

A bit more was said but this is the jist.   I've requested that he give me the screen shots of my facebook profile so I may better review them, and if get them I'll post them here.

My profile contains multiple progun quotes, groups about the NRA, IDPA, and other shooting activities.  The mesasge that my profile picture sends (to a rational human is that I wanted the tragedy to be avoided.

I'm pretty offended, but I don't think that I have any legal recourse, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 11:38:52 AM EDT
[#1]
OST
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 11:39:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Shit, might as well go postal at this point!

(You get double extra bonus points if you can shit yourself during your meeting!)
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 11:40:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 11:40:25 AM EDT
[#4]
tag
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 11:40:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Mississippi?

Figures .
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 11:41:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Here we go.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 11:41:59 AM EDT
[#7]
As long as the pic isnt on campus, and the firearms are not on campus, tell em to pound sand
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 11:42:25 AM EDT
[#8]

But in brief, a professor in my department saw pictures of me holding firearms (an ar-15 no less) and reported me.

Get the professor a copy of '1984' and tell him to mind his own bees wax.

tagarro for after 5 report .
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 11:42:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm president* of the Tarleton State Rifle Team, and the Dean of Tarleton has met with us before to talk about how he thinks we're a good think and to keep up the good work.

eta:
* In two weeks, when the current president graduates. I've already been elected president, though. I got a call from the current president, who I am good friends with and he told me I'm not president yet. I thought I was. But I was wrong.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 11:43:21 AM EDT
[#10]
ost
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 11:44:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'll post more when I can, as I hace a paper due at 5pm and need to finish it.   But in brief, a professor in my department saw pictures of me holding firearms (an ar-15 no less) and reported me.   I was email yesterday by the Associate Dean of Students yesterday and he told me that I urgently needed to meet with him, yet he gave me no reason.   As an upstanding student this gave me a great cause for concern.    Ironically they didn't complain about the pictures of me shoting in an F-class match, or my visit to the CMP store.   I think this is a possible case of baiased discrimination against me for being a gunowner.   I'm more than a bit pissed off, luckily I'm in no trouble.

More to follow after 5pm

As a former MSU student.....you *probably* got reported by the professor, and the DoS needs to posture a bit in order to appear to be proactive or some such nonsense.

Be courteous, act like an adult, but make him be direct and to the point. Ask him if you've broken any law, of any sort. If not, explain that your time is valueable, and he needs to waste as little of it as possible.

I'd also suggest bringing a tape recorder. Make sure he knows he's being recorded.

(He'll have his own - I'm almost sure of that!)

Link Posted: 4/20/2007 11:44:51 AM EDT
[#12]
You may want to use this as an opportunity to show the Dean that not every gun owner is a nut like Choi.  Try to keep things in perspective and not react.

Gary
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 11:45:49 AM EDT
[#13]
This should be interesting.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 11:49:28 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'll post more when I can, as I hace a paper due at 5pm and need to finish it.   But in brief, a professor in my department saw pictures of me holding firearms (an ar-15 no less) and reported me.   I was email yesterday by the Associate Dean of Students yesterday and he told me that I urgently needed to meet with him, yet he gave me no reason.   As an upstanding student this gave me a great cause for concern.    Ironically they didn't complain about the pictures of me shoting in an F-class match, or my visit to the CMP store.   I think this is a possible case of baiased discrimination against me for being a gunowner.   I'm more than a bit pissed off, luckily I'm in no trouble.

More to follow after 5pm

As a former MSU student.....you *probably* got reported by the professor, and the DoS needs to posture a bit in order to appear to be proactive or some such nonsense.

Be courteous, act like an adult, but make him be direct and to the point. Ask him if you've broken any law, of any sort. If not, explain that your time is valueable, and he needs to waste as little of it as possible.

I'd also suggest bringing a tape recorder. Make sure he knows he's being recorded.

+1 good advise
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 11:50:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Inquisition eh?

Figures.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 11:51:00 AM EDT
[#16]
What crap, you own guns so now you are going to go on a shoot sprey too?

oh and tag!
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 11:51:02 AM EDT
[#17]
I met with him at 1pm today.   I've now consulted my family, and we will at least file complaints.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 11:52:58 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I met with him at 1pm today.   I've now consulted my family, and we will at least file complaints.  

So what did the faggot-ass-faggot say?  Fill us in!
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#19]
What did he say?

Just saw the update in your first post....nevermind.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 11:53:59 AM EDT
[#20]
YYou tell us you met and not what he said?

BAN HIM!!!  
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 11:54:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Be very careful what you say, don't cop an attitude.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 11:54:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Tag.....BS is what that is
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 11:56:11 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
quote]

Get the professor a copy of '1984' and tell him to mind his own bees wax.

tagarro for after 5 report .

I like that
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 11:56:37 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a feeling that a lot of high schools and colleges are using their student rosters to check them against Facebook and MySpace for anything they "feel" is "out of the ordinary".....Goddamn witch hunts everywhere!!

I would never put myself out there like that if I were still in school.  

If I had a page like that, I would edit carefully.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 11:57:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Show up with an attorney.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 11:58:12 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Show up with an attorney.  

I like that idea....
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 11:59:08 AM EDT
[#27]
POT
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 11:59:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Interesting...

tag.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 12:02:09 PM EDT
[#29]
SUX2BU

Actually, I'm kind of envious. You get to get a direct audience with the Dean of students to express your concerns about CCW rules!!!

BRING THE TAPE RECORDER!

It will make the dean a bit more... careful knowing that he is being held responsible for his words
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 12:03:25 PM EDT
[#30]
I purged my photobucket accounts yesterday of anything that could possibly be used against me in a kangaroo court.

Just ain't worth it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 12:04:28 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I purged my photobucket accounts yesterday of anything that could possibly be used against me in a kangaroo court.

Just ain't worth it.

That's patriotism at it's finest.

-James
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 12:06:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Better yet burn a copy of the youtube video posted in another thread (katerina)and sit down and watch it with him. Its about 71/2 min long.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 12:08:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Try the ACLU.

I'm only half kidding.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 12:11:03 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I have a feeling that a lot of high schools and colleges are using their student rosters to check them against Facebook and MySpace for anything they "feel" is "out of the ordinary".....Goddamn witch hunts everywhere!!

Yeah...you either need to edit your public information, or quit advertising altogether.  You will learn to be very careful about who you tell what about yourself, though I suspect you will learn that anyway as you get older.  Only your family and trusted friends need to know about your hobby.

dvo
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 12:19:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Get NRA and other supporters to flood his office with calls and e-mails. When I was in college, my fraternity (Kappa Alpha Order) flew the Confederate Battle Flag at our house. Our house was on privately owned land off-campus. The Dean decided that he didn't like it and ordered us to take it down. Since it was being flown by a private group on private property, he really had no authority to give such an order. A few calls to the Sons of Confederate Veterans and Military Order of Stars and Bars cured him. They basically shut down the office with phone calls.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 12:21:19 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm a student at MSU and I'm very surprised by this.

Link Posted: 4/20/2007 12:25:24 PM EDT
[#37]
1.  Advise him that you are recording your conversation.

2.  Be polite but firm in inquiring exactly what the problem is.  Don't let him get away with double talk..

3.  If his problem is with an activity that you do not engage in on campus or as part of a school program, tell him to pack sand.

4.  If even a hint of a threat is made, refuse to continue the conversation until you can seek legal advice.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 12:30:11 PM EDT
[#38]
you should have said, yes i need to speak with you as well.
about this lack of protection for students. you fele the need to carry, what options doe she offer to protect you and your peers?
use this one on one to your advantage.  

if we keep pounding the pavement and convert enough sheep to see the truth, thee is a chance at getting the gun free school zone bullshit erased
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 12:31:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Use it as an opportunity to blow his stereotypes. Invite him to shoot with you!
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 12:32:10 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I wouldn't be surprised if many young people are screwing themselves with future employers by posting facebook/myspace material. I asked my two daughters if they had ever set up one of these accounts and they said no way.

I would have asked him to outline the steps MS State had in place to counter any VT-type situation. I'll bet you would have recorded a string of Umm, Er,, Ahhh.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 12:32:40 PM EDT
[#41]
You might also consider asking the student newspaper (sorry, I forget what it's called...) if they'd care to interview you and discuss your conversation with him.

Link Posted: 4/20/2007 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#42]
tag
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 12:39:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Nation of pussies we are.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 12:39:47 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Try the ACLU.

I'm only half kidding.

They'll take the case.

In RI, they took a case of where a high school wouldn't put a photo in the year book of a kid holding a sword.

www.aclu.org/freespeech/youth/27669prs20061212.html
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 12:43:52 PM EDT
[#45]
I suggest a complaint letter to your college's board of trustees.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 12:44:36 PM EDT
[#46]
it is sad that one must "hide" a hobby such as shooting. if an employer does not want me to be doing that on my free time, then by all means, hire the sheep over me. when push comes ot shove their sheep will do what it does best, get slaughtered.

I refuse to "hide" from what others might see. granted i do not put a cherry lis tof everything i own, but i will not take down a few pictures i have of my self and friends(with their concent for the pix) from my facebook profile.
i have graduated so that eliminates school admins bugging me.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 12:48:45 PM EDT
[#47]
It's a shame in a nation where most households have one or more guns, and 10's of millions of gun owners, a person has to be cautious about who we let know about our gun-ownership and shooting habits.

Why was the meeting "urgent"?

Did he ask any particular questions?  Did he just present the screen shots and you gave your presentation about your gun activities?

Has he taken any action against you besides asking you to meet with him?

Link Posted: 4/20/2007 12:49:23 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

More to follow after 5pm

Good advice. I'd bring along an attorney, too, but that's just me. Fuck with my civil rights, expect a pit bull with a J.D. to be turned on you.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 12:53:54 PM EDT
[#49]

if this were a black guy who was reported for being "suspicious", or someone feeling uncomfortable about them, after a violent interracial incident, they'd be slapped with a lawsuit so big the college would have to shut its' doors.

biggotry, harrassment, hostile environment. go with a lawyer, get your education paid for.

Link Posted: 4/20/2007 12:59:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Here's a competitive shooter, a good guy, perhaps with a CCW, meaning he has had extensive background checks... he is not to be trusted.

But people will trust a minimum wage armed security guard that they don't know, more than likely supplied by a contracting securty firm.  

Amazing.

Make sure you drop the L-word (Lawyer) a few times.  Ask when you can schedule a meeting with the professor that reported you, the Dean, AND you with your lawyer.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top