Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 5/4/2003 12:31:00 PM EDT
I've seen a few auctions on ebay where people are selling web links to where you can buy computers for "extremely low prices." We're talkin laptops that cost $2-3k for appx $200. This REEKS of scam, but I thought is was worth asking you guys in case someone has taken the bait. Is this legit? Are there websites where you can buy this dirt cheap? While we're on the subject, please post links and places where I can get a laptop CHEAP! Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 12:37:40 PM EDT
if it walks like a scam, talks like a scam, smells like a scam..........well.....you know the rest
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 12:55:10 PM EDT
Yep, it's a scam. But if you send me $100, I'll show you how to get a C&R FFL. I'll even provide an information packet, including all the application forms. [;)]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 1:20:25 PM EDT
If 700-800 is what you consider cheap(considering they used to go for 2k-3k) you can get a new laptop from Best Buy/Dell for 700-800 after rebates (or occasionally with Dell, without even rebates. That's how I got mine - 650 list price after rebates, ~770 if you figure in tax from Best Buy. Watch techbargains.com and bensbargains.net for those deals. Or you can get a decent refurb or used model for 400-600 on e-bay or ubid(ubid gets discontinued or overstock from stores and auctions them off). $200 seems too low unless they're a few years old, and you'd probably have to factor in battery replacement (~$100) for computers that old (typical lifetime of a laptop battery is one year).
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 1:27:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/4/2003 1:28:00 PM EDT by mmx1]
[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2725860649&category=177[/url] Okay, I see what you're talking about.
[red]Note: No Electronics are being sold in this auction. The winning bidder will receive information on where to get brand new Alienware laptop for $170(free s/h).[/red] You are guarantee to get receive your laptop at this amazing price. Retail Price: $3600.00. (You probably pay this in the stores.) This is brand new, buy it as soon as you have read these Links and youre almost guaranteed to get it quickly! These Links are Awesome!! Its a must have, seriously! Now, you will know how to purchase these electronic products at AMAZING prices! This is 100% Legit, eBay auctions are not to be taken lightly. This is real information. Bid with confidence. Positive feedback will be provided once payment is received. Please ask any questions you have about the auction before you bid. Because of the nature of product sold refund are not possible. Please checkout our other products.
View Quote
So you're buying [i]information[/i] on how to get a laptop for $170? That just reeks of scam to me. I'll tell you how you can get a laptop for $170: pay me $170, then steal one!
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 1:51:51 PM EDT
Check this scam: [url]http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=liquidationuniverse&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25[/url] Check their feedback and notice that ePay doesn't seem to give a shit that their customers are getting scammed.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 2:13:52 PM EDT
Our Ebay account was hacked on two occasions by someone selling computers at a ridiculously cheap price under our sign on. They used highlighted and featured auctions in bold type to advertise. Ebay stopped the auctions. They usually go for the buy it now customers that pay through Pay Pal or money order. They take the money and run. Ebay said they got to my account because my e-mail was not secure. I argued that they hacked Ebay's server as no other account I have has been tampered with, including my email account. As noted earlier in this thread, if it smells like a scam, it is a scam.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:55:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/4/2003 3:59:04 PM EDT by Tonys68l36]
Originally Posted By SeaDweller: Check this scam: [url]http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=liquidationuniverse&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25[/url] Check their feedback and notice that ePay doesn't seem to give a shit that their customers are getting scammed.
View Quote
SCAM is right...notice how all the people who(???) got the refund back AND $100 bucks ALL have low post numbers. Yeah right... This is like one of those MLM scams where they keep refunding the $$ till they get a huge amount...Then they run!!! One guy had it right all they do is borrow your money... What a scam.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 4:03:04 PM EDT
this is OT, but in the spirit of EBAY bashing, ebay has a new listing fee on top of the sell fee. your listing fee you pay to get listed, and if your item doesnt sell your just our that money. the price varies, but i was going to put an old snowmobile on ebay, but all said and done ebay was going to get over 20% of the sleds value.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 4:39:16 PM EDT
Sorry, thought the title to the thread said: "[b]Buy a Lap Dance for $170[/b]" And it was going to be about Mike Price. ED
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:33:30 AM EDT
Afew minutes of searching the net finds this for the $170 Alienware laptop: [url]http://www.ematrixusa.com[/url] This is the site URL you are buying. Brought to you here free of charge.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:12:26 PM EDT
Has anyone actually tried the scheme that ematrix is pushing? It sounds like they're just waiting for a chance to bar the doors and keep everyone's cash.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:33:20 PM EDT
How exactly does that ematrix thing work?
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:25:39 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Ponyboy: How exactly does that ematrix thing work?
View Quote
What he said!
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 12:17:37 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MarineGrunt:
Originally Posted By Ponyboy: How exactly does that ematrix thing work?
View Quote
What he said!
View Quote
what he said.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 12:24:18 PM EDT
How odes it work? It doesn't. Here's how the scammers say it works, though: [url=www.thegreatfind.com/rewards1.asp]Link[/url]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 12:45:31 PM EDT
I saw an ebay auction promising those big screen plasma TVs for like $150. I knew it was fishy, so I wrote a feedback to the seller asking how many TVs she had gotten PERSONALLY at that price. Reading between the lines on her reply, it was obviously a pyramid scam...that is, send $10 to everyone on the list, and add your name to the bottom. That could be what you're dealing with here. -Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 12:53:49 PM EDT
I thought pyramid type things were illegal..?
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 12:54:42 PM EDT
good lord. do people actually fall for this horseshit? ive got 15 $10,000 registered MP5A3's that i will [b][red] GIVE [/b][/red] to each person who sends me a check for $100. c'mon...
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 1:56:48 PM EDT
Originally Posted By colinjay: good lord. do people actually fall for this horseshit? ive got 15 $10,000 registered MP5A3's that i will [b][red] GIVE [/b][/red] to each person who sends me a check for $100. c'mon...
View Quote
Ohhh.. Ill take two! Seriously though, how can someone get away with running a business like that?
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 4:57:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:04:49 PM EDT
[size=6]SCAM!!![/size=6] [wave]
Top Top