Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 11/1/2004 11:03:53 PM EDT
www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/33132.htm

EARLY VOTES GIVE STATES A 'GRAVE' PROBLEM

By STEPHANIE GASKELL

November 1, 2004 -- There's a new electoral group that could affect the outcome of the presidential race tomorrow — dead voters.

With an unprecedented millions of voters taking advantage of early voting in at least 30 states this year, it's possible that many of them — perhaps thousands — will die after having cast their ballots but before Election Day.

When a voter dies, their vote no longer counts.

But it's likely that most so-called "ghost" votes will be tallied because it's often difficult to find their ballots once their vote has been cast, officials said.

Also, it can sometimes take days or weeks to notify election officials that a voter has died.

"We don't check the hospitals on the day before the election," said Don Wright, general counsel for North Carolina's Board of Elections. "We're not at the morgue."

In the key battleground state of Florida more than 1.8 million people have cast absentee ballots or voted early in the past two weeks. Many of them are elderly or sick.

About 455 voting-age people die in Florida every day.

Considering that the 2000 presidential election was decided by just 537 votes, the "ghost" votes could play a huge role in the 2004 race — and face legal challenges.

"There are lots of examples of elections being decided by one vote or 300 votes," said Tim Storey, a senior fellow with the National Conference of State Legislatures.

In Missouri, absentee voting began on Sept. 21, but the latest official list of deaths in that state — which just went out late last week — was only current through Oct. 15.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 11:08:38 PM EDT
IMO if someone died after they voted early thier vote should count.

Now if someone died way before early voting started and someone votes for them then thats obviously fraud.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 11:11:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By OFFascist:
IMO if someone died after they voted early thier vote should count.

Now if someone died way before early voting started and someone votes for them then thats obviously fraud.

I disagree - I think you should have to be alive on election day. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 11:17:58 PM EDT
THE ZOMBIES ARE AT IT ALREADY! First voting for the first zombie. Any body actually look at kerry when he's not talking? Next they'll be calling for free human meat...
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 11:26:54 PM EDT
Ok, wait a second. You think some geriatric hooked up to a respirator, expecting to die any day now is really all that concerned enough with who the next president is, concerned enough to vote? Rather than wrap up the last bits of their will and see their kids and grandkids for the last time?

Tragic car accidents and murder aside, I'm doubting many of those 455 dead voting age persons per day actually will have voted in the past week.

Dear Lord! At 2000 census levels it's only 61 years before the entire current population of Florida will die out! Oh wait, that's normal. Crisis averted.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 11:32:26 PM EDT
I told you this race was dead even
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 11:43:54 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 11:51:09 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 11:52:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Lightning_P38:
This brings up an important question, if the dead are reanimated should the zombies be allowed to vote? Of course if they are Kerry will promise them warm brains, and there will be Kerry supporters at the pool offering them samples (it's not like they are using them anyway). Also, If I encounter zombies at the polls (my polling place is at a church with a good sized cemetary) and shoot them, would that be considered voter intimidation, even if I let them vote before I blast them?

Why do you think those zombies are soo angry they are denied thier right to vote.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 12:57:17 AM EDT
It's about time for Zombie suffrage.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 2:12:22 AM EDT
The day you vote is, for all intents and purposes,
election day.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 2:14:38 AM EDT
I really don't see the problem.

Hell, in Chicago they had tons of people casting their votes who had been dead for years...
Top Top