Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2014 7:22:02 AM EDT
Is the cordless one as good as the corded one?
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 7:24:57 AM EDT
[#1]
the cordless is good for small jobs

Link Posted: 6/14/2014 7:25:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Corded tools always maintain thier torque...
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 7:27:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Cordless one (DC59) is pretty kickass.  It gets used for everything except "ok it's time to vacuum all the carpet in the house" day.  

But to answer your question - it's not "as good as" the corded one.

Corded dyson is going to be stronger, longer, and do a more thorough job on carpet especially.

Cordless is much handier.  Would say it's just as effective on hard floors to pick up dirt and pet hair and such.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 7:28:18 AM EDT
[#4]

They all suck.

Link Posted: 6/14/2014 7:42:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Hardwood floors... Are all Dyson corded equal?
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 7:53:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Best mainstream vacuums. Bought 2, and no problems ever. Worth every penny.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 8:01:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Buy a used Kirby and never look back.  In a head to head comparison, the only two areas where Dyson beat out Kirby was weight and marketing.  They are good at marketing.

Link Posted: 6/14/2014 8:01:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I have only one corded one and I can't remember the model number.  It's 3-4 years old and purple.  Does excellent on carpet as well as hard floors.

Would buy another in a second.  

I vaguely recall that certain Dyson models are better equipped for hard floors.  But i cannot remember which ones.

Link Posted: 6/14/2014 8:03:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hardwood floors... Are all Dyson corded equal?
View Quote

Get the animal hair one.  We have all hard flooring and it's the only thing that works.  Tried shark on arfcom a recommendation complete waste of money
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 8:06:49 AM EDT
[#10]
tag
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:00:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Where do you guys buy spare filters?
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:02:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

spare filters?  You just wash the ones inside.

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:04:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Better look into longevity. I have heard they are great vacs but do not last long. They are not very tough!
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:06:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Have a Dyson sitting unused, it does not suck after a few years. Unfortunately.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:32:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well yeah, but who wants to wait 24 hours to dry before you can use it again.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:42:02 AM EDT
[#16]
From Dyson's website...

http://www.dyson.com/parts.aspx
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:43:55 AM EDT
[#17]
I just bought a refurbed DC40 with extra attachments form Dyson's Ebay store for $280

http://stores.ebay.com/dyson

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:45:04 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I just bought a refurbed DC40 with extra attachments form Dyson's Ebay store for $280
View Quote
Good call. I've bought some refurb/return stuff on amazon, and never had a problem. I bet you also get the same warranty too.

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:45:05 AM EDT
[#19]
This thread is relevant to my interests.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:46:12 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've yet to have that problem.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:46:45 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Good call. I've bought some refurb/return stuff on amazon, and never had a problem. I bet you also get the same warranty too.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Based on the wording and such, I do not believe you do.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:46:58 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

<th>Condition:</th>

<th>Seller Notes:</th>

"These
refurbished items were returned to the manufacturer for reasons like:
shipping damage, or broken parts, damaged box, ect. and will arrive in a
plain brown mail order box. All refurb items are inspected, cleaned and
repaired by the Dyson team to meet specifications. Please note, extra
handling and additional testing may or may not result in scratches,
blemishes & small dirt or dust particles on outside of vacuum as
well having static lint within the canister / bin. As the vacuum is
refurbished, the canister or bin may not appear to be completely
transparent. The bin's appearance does not affect the performance of the
vacuum. ABC Vacuum Warehouse does not / can not open or test each item
prior to shipping. We do guarantee them mechanically and we do have
confidence in them enough to extend the warranty without any additional
cost. These are a good way to go if you are looking to save some extra
money and still get all the performance of the full price model.

Manufacturer refurbished
    :

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:47:12 AM EDT
[#23]
I know this is like stepping into a 1911 thread and saying, "Glock 19", but are you set on Dyson? I've had a Shark Professional for nearly two years and we vacuum nearly every day and it works great, especially with pet hair. It was less than half the price of a Dyson.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:52:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Our Shark Navigator beats the snot out of our Dyson, waste of money. I'm married, have two cats and a GSD so there is hair everywhere, at least before we vacuum.

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:58:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Better look into longevity. I have heard they are great vacs but do not last long. They are not very tough!
View Quote

Wrong! My parents are still rocking the purple pink colored massive first generation dyson probably at least ten years old and its still rock solid and strong electric motors havnt lost the mojo yet.

Mine is a display/floor model DC25 Ball from lowes and it had a huge chunk of plastic ripped off of the front bottom spinning brush part when I purchased it. I used it for ever and decided to register it after a screw backed out and the pivot came apart so I called tech support. Told them the problem then asked about getting the front broken plastic part replaced letting the tech on phone 100% know it was broken when I bought it. They set me up with a repair depot (Sears) and fixed my Dyson and replaced all the filters and also replaced the broken front electric brush part..... 100% free....

Grandparents are older and grandma had a hard time pushing her sweeper around so I brought my Ball down and let her try it out. The way that the Ball lets you pivot and turn the corners worked much better for her and she is still able to run the sweeper as of last couple years after buying the Ball Animal version.

Just a couple weeks ago Wife called and said the Dyson wont start up, was like " I swept a bunch of croutons up and its dead now"... I came home tore it apart and tried another recipticle still dead. Called tech support and they called me back in ten minutes instead of waiting in que, had me take it down a little more than I have in the past. Found a bunch of old shit in it and my crouton wedged up between all the nastiness and once I pulled it out it fired up perfect. The tech stated that it is very sensitive about changes in air pressure so it shuts the motor down before damage can occur.

So what ever Im getting at is the DC25 Ball is BADASS and the Animal version is not worth the extra coin since its only one extra attachment and it works off air pressure only when spinning attachment head.

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 11:11:48 AM EDT
[#26]
The Dyson( DC 14) I had for 4 years was finally dying.  The motor was still strong but many of the plastic pieces were needing to be replaced.  Went to buy a new one came home with a Miele.  It pulled more dirt out of the carpet than the Dyson did.  The floor was vacuumed with the Dyson first then with the Miele, and the Miele pulled out more dirt.  I do like the Dyson it has lasted longer than any vacuum we have had, but I like the Miele more based just on performance.  We have only had the Miele for 3 months now.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 11:40:01 AM EDT
[#27]
I've had one of those DC2something (the standard one with the orange ball) for over 5 years.  No issues with it at all.  Three years ago, I bought a second one (same model) for the upstairs (pretty big house).  I've got a 4-year-old yellow lab that sheds more than any dog I've ever had.  A buddy of mine bought one of those Shark vacuums because he read some good reviews.  The shedding from his husky killed the Shark, so I let him borrow one of my Dysons for a while.  He brought it back about a month later and told me he had bought one for himself.  They're worth their weight in gold.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 11:42:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 11:49:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have an animal and have had it for 7 or 8 years now.

Still going.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 11:51:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Depends how big your house is.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 11:55:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Mom and sister hava one of the early DC07 and DC25.  I have a DC 41 animal.  They are great vacuums clean well and last from what I have seen.  Just clean the filters and wear ear plugs when using them they hurt my ears but I have hearing damage.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 11:59:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Miles Bennett

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 12:01:36 PM EDT
[#33]
I bought the cordless one for the sandwich maker a couple of years ago for her birthday.  It is pretty handy and worked well for about a year. Then it would only work for a few seconds before shutting off. I consulted the owners manual and it said it with do that when clogged.  I gave it a thorough cleaning and that didn't help.  The problem seems to be that the battery is not maintaining contact with the unit because if you push the battery in will stay on. I fucking hate the thing.

If you feel you have to have a Dyson sign up for Woot email alerts.  Dyson refurbished models come up frequently.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 12:08:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Our old Dyson lasted 8 years and it was still sucking but plastic parts broke off.  If someone has one that's not working it's probably plugged up
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 12:57:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Ladies in the house absolutely love their new DC40. I'm impressed but I don't use it. Seems to be really thought out in easily accessing any tunnels that can clog. No complaints in this house. We'll worth the money IMO
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 12:58:11 PM EDT
[#36]
DC44 is awesome for small jobs, but I would suggest a non-ball corded unit for real cleaning. I use a DC14 for deep cleaning and the DC44 for picking up small stuff.
The ball units have less suction than the traditional models.

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 5:04:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
DC44 is awesome for small jobs, but I would suggest a non-ball corded unit for real cleaning. I use a DC14 for deep cleaning and the DC44 for picking up small stuff.
The ball units have less suction than the traditional models.

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

I only have hard floors laminate and tile but the ball unit we have sucks stuff up that is an inch or better away from the actual sweeper head. No complaints
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top