Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 12/18/2005 5:37:19 AM EDT
I am in the process of trying to remove a finish applied by Dynamic Finishes. It is a carbon fiber looking paint over an od green Glock. Anyone ever removed one of these finishes before? I tried soaking it in mineral spirits overnight but that had no effect. I've heard that brake fluid works so I'm going to try that next. The problem is that all of the paint stripper I have found is harmful to plastic.

Anybody out there with any other ideas? Help would be appreciated!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:51:22 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:08:32 AM EDT
Tried that, they weren't offering up any ideas.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:39:39 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:14:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/18/2005 11:14:17 AM EDT by phylodog]
Sent him an IM, thanks for your help!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:03:43 AM EDT
Well I talked with Brass and he provided some great info. Unfortunately I don't have the equipment at hand to go with it. So I have tried soaking the frame in brake fluid (found this advice on another website) and it seems to be working. It's gonna take a lot of scrubbing with a brush or green pad but it looks like it'll all come off.

Just thought I'd share this info in case anyone else should need it. Thanks again for the help!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:05:32 AM EDT
Bead blaster.. That is your answer!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:27:10 AM EDT
The finish you are trying to remove I think is a water transfer printing type. This stuff is very tough to remove. It looks really nice, but as it wears it looks like crap when it starts to chip or peel. I would suggest not using any harsh chems on the plactic parts of the Glock as it may damage them.

If you are going to refinish it in a coating like Duracoat, KG Teflon Gun Kote or Cerekote then do not blast it with glass bead media. Glass bead blasting will not let the coating take root 100% and the coating will wear or even flake off over time. Glass Bead blasting is wonderful for matte bluing and cleaning up some parts , but it does not do well with coatings over the long term. Use Aulm Oxide to blast with. It provides a really nice texture that really lets the coatings take root to.If you do not have someone in your area that can do this I would be glad to Aulm Oxide blast it for you so that you can finish it right. Many welding or body shops have small Aulm Oxide blasters. I am sure they would not charge you much for the service($20?)We charge a small fee for this service if you would like and it will be returned to you asap.

If I can help you in any way or if you have any questions please feel free to contact me by email anytime or call after 6pm cst. Sorry, we do not answer calls during the day or we would never get any work done. Our contact info is on our website. Merry Christmas

www.elkmontarms.com
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:37:05 AM EDT
Thanks Elk! I am actually going to stipple the frame if/when I can get all of the finish off. I am intending to get a small cabinet for this type of work in the future and your advice will be very helpful!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:23:16 AM EDT
Those small blasting cabinets are great. We have 2 large cabinets in the shop, one is for Glass Bead and one is for Aulm Oxide. Sometimes it can be hard to find Aulm Oxide media. Some places that often have it in stock are Tractor Supply and Harbor Freight tool company.

If you do a lot of Aulm Oxide blasting you will go through the Ceramic nozzels very fast. They are expensive and hard to find in local stores. One place you should look for these nozzels is Big Lots stores in there hardware section. I know that sounds odd, but for some reason they have these in stock at most stores we have been to. They are cheap there and they often have 30 to 40 in stock. They are pink in color and have a small rubber seal attached. The last time I looked they were about .50ea

A note of caution, never breath any the dust from Aulm Oxide blast media it is very hard on your lungs. Wear a dust mask or other protection equip when filling or cleaning you cabinet. Try to keep you air psi in you cabinet at about 50 to 90 psi. Do not go above 90 psi as it can remove to much metal and change firearm dims. I have found that blasting the Glock or other ploloymer frame guns around 50 psi produces a nice pattern. The Duracoat does a real nice job on worn Glock frames. Just be sure to really blast it well to make sure the coating takes root. I hope this info has helped.
Take Care.

Merry Christmas

Eric

www.elkmontarms.com
Top Top