Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2006 12:51:14 PM EDT
FYI from an email I recieved today...

'Dusting'
First, I'm going to tell you a little about me and my family. My name is Jeff. I am a Police Officer for a city which is known nationwide for it's crime rate. We have a lot of gangs and drugs. At one point we were # 2 in the nation in homicides per capita. I also have a police K-9 named Thor. He was certified in drugs and general duty. He retired at 3 years old because he was shot in the line of duty. He lives with us now and I still train with him because he likes it. I always liked the fact that there was no way to bring drugs into my house. Thor wouldn't allow it. He would tell on you. The reason I say this is so you understand that I know about drugs.

I have taught in schools about drugs. My wife asks all our kids at least once a week if they used any drugs. Makes them promise they won't.

I like building computers occasionally and started building a new one in February 2005. I also was working on some of my older computers.
They were full of dust so on one of my trips to the computer store I bought a 3 pack of DUST OFF. Dust Off is a can of compressed air to blow dust off a computer. A few weeks later when I went to use one of them they were all used. I talked to my kids and my two sons both said they had used them on their computer and messing around with them. I yelled at them for wasting the 10 dollars I paid for them.

On February 28 I went back to the computer store. They didn't have the 3 pack which I had bought on sale so I bought a single jumbo can of Dust Off. I went home and set it down beside my computer.

On March 1st, I left for work at 10 PM. Just before midnight my wife went down and kissed Kyle goodnight. At 5:30 am the next morning Kathy went downstairs to wake Kyle up for school, before she left for work. He was propped up in bed with his legs crossed and his head leaning over. She called to him a few times to get up. He didn't move. He would sometimes tease her like this and pretend he fell back asleep. He was never easy to get up. She went in and shook his arm. He fell over. He was pale white and had the straw from the Dust Off can coming out of his mouth. He had the new can of Dust Off in his hands. Kyle was dead.

I am a police officer and I had never heard of this. My wife is a nurse and she had never heard of this. We later found out from the coroner, after the autopsy, that only the propellant from the can of Dust off was in his system.. No other drugs. Kyle had died between midnight and 1 AM.

I found out that using Dust Off is being done mostly by kids ages 9 through 15. They even have a name for it. It's called dusting. A take
off from the Dust Off name. It gives them a slight high for about 10 seconds. It makes them dizzy. A boy who lives down the street from us showed Kyle how to do this about a month before. Kyle showed his best friend. Told him it was cool and it couldn't hurt you. It's just compressed air. It can't hurt you. His best friend said no.

Kyle was wrong. It's not just compressed air. It also contains a propellant called R2. It's a refrigerant like what is used in your
refrigerator. It is a heavy gas. Heavier than air. When you inhale it, it fills your lungs and keeps the good air, with oxygen, out That's why
you feel dizzy, buzzed. It decreases the oxygen to your brain, to your heart. Kyle was right. It can't hurt you. IT KILLS YOU.

The horrible part about this is there is no warning. There is no level that kills you. It's not cumulative or an overdose; it can just go
randomly, terribly wrong. Roll the dice and if your number comes up you die. ITS NOT AN OVERDOSE. It's Russian Roulette. You don't die later. Or not feel good and say I've had too much. You usually die as you're breathing it in. If not you die within 2 seconds of finishing "the hit." That's why the straw was still in Kyle's mouth when he died. Why his eyes were still open. The experts want to call this huffing. The kids don't believe its huffing. As adults we tend to lump many things together. But it doesn't fit here. And that's why its more accepted. There is no chemical reaction, no strong odor. It doesn't follow the huffing signals. Kyle complained a few days before he died of his tongue hurting. It probably did. The propellant causes frostbite. If I had only known.

It's easy to say hey, it's my life and I'll do what I want. But it isn't. Others are always affected. This has forever changed our family's
life. I have a hole in my heart and soul that can never be fixed. The pain is so immense I can't describe it. There's nowhere to run from it. I cry all the time and I don't ever cry. I do what I'm supposed to do but I don't really care. My kids are messed up. One won't talk about it. The other will only sleep in our room at night. And my wife, I can't even describe how bad she is taking this. I thought we were safe because of Thor. I thought we were safe because we knew about drugs and talked to our kids about them.

After Kyle died another story came out. A probation Officer went to the school system next to ours to speak with a student. While there he found a student using Dust Off in the bathroom. This student told him about another student who also had some in his locker. This is a rather affluent school system. They will tell you they don't have a drug problem there.
They don't even have a dare or plus program there. So rather than tell everyone about this "new" way of getting high they found, they hid it. The probation officer told the media after Kyle's death and they, the school, then admitted to it. I know that if they would have told the media and I had heard, it wouldn't have been in my house.

We need to get this out of our homes and school computer labs. Using Dust Off isn't new and some "professionals" do know about. It just isn't talked about much, except by the kids. They all seem to know about it. April 2nd was 1 month since Kyle died. April 5th would have been his 15th birthday. And every weekday I catch myself sitting on the living room couch at 2:30 in the afternoon and waiting to see him get off the bus. I know Kyle is in heaven but I cant help but wonder If I died and went to Hell.

This Officer is asking for everyone who receives this email to forward it to everyone in their address book, even Law Enforcement Officers.

Link Posted: 10/28/2006 12:59:43 PM EDT
[#1]
AGNTSA
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 1:00:17 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
AGNTSA

Why do people insist on posting every email they get forwarded to them?
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 1:00:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess because some kid was stupid, I'll soon have to show ID to buy compressed air.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 1:05:57 PM EDT
[#4]
shit happens
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 1:08:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
AGNTSA

Y'alls compasion for a dead kid is truly underwhelming.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 1:13:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
AGNTSA

IF the story were true and IF this hadn't been discussed here about a MILLION times, there might be more compassion...
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 1:16:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
AGNTSA

Do you believe every email you read............if so I got some Herbs that will make your Dick bigger.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 1:29:11 PM EDT
[#8]

We need to get this out of our homes and school computer labs.

you know, carried to it's logical conclusion, this idea isn't really practical.  If you wanted to cleanse your house of everything that dumb kids could get high and kill themselves with, you'd have to throw out:

-much of your medicine cabinet, including any cough suppressants, cold medicines, or allergy medications containing DXM, any anti-allergy or motion-sickness medications containing Dimenhydrinate such as dramamine, and any anithistamines containing diphenhydramine such as Benadryl or tylenol PM.  not to mention any prescription medications you may have lying around.

-your entire chemical bucket in your workshop, as almost any volatile solvent including  glue, paint thinner, and hundreds of other common household chemicals can be abused,

-your gas cans containing fuel for your lawnmower, car, etc.

so obviously the solution isn't to cleanse your house of anything that kids could abuse and kill themselves with.   the solution is to teach your kids not to be freaking idiots.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 6:53:27 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

you know, carried to it's logical conclusion, this idea isn't really practical.  If you wanted to cleanse your house of everything that dumb kids could get high and kill themselves with, you'd have to throw out:

-much of your medicine cabinet, including any cough suppressants, cold medicines, or allergy medications containing DXM, any anti-allergy or motion-sickness medications containing Dimenhydrinate such as dramamine, and any anithistamines containing diphenhydramine such as Benadryl or tylenol PM.  not to mention any prescription medications you may have lying around.

-your entire chemical bucket in your workshop, as almost any volatile solvent including  glue, paint thinner, and hundreds of other common household chemicals can be abused,

-your gas cans containing fuel for your lawnmower, car, etc.

so obviously the solution isn't to cleanse your house of anything that kids could abuse and kill themselves with.   the solution is to teach your kids not to be freaking idiots.

Personal responsibility is lacking in this world.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 6:58:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:05:48 AM EDT
[#11]
I wonder what would have happened if his K9 had killed the kid instead.  Life is tough, even harder if you are stupid.

There is danger everywhere you look, from paint to swiming pools.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:07:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, actually, the story about Kyle is, according to Snopes, true. However, banning it is not the solution, same as with any item. Unfortunately, a shitload of people in this country want to shove us into a nanny state with padded corners: no fast cars, no wild sex, no mind-altering substances, no fun. As a result, inhalants are about the only thing you can legally get ahold of if you want to get a high (though using them as such is illegal), and they're incredibly dangerous. So, though they've already banned using the items as inhalants, they want to ban the products themselves. The worst thing is, as history has repeatedly shown, they are probably going to get their way.

Ladies and gentlemen, photographers and computer users can say goodbye to dust-off. We can watch spraypaint ride off into the sunset. Engine starter? Contains a lot of ether, so it's as good as gone.

Don't believe me? Look at what happened to pseudoephedrine. It can be used in the manufacture of meth, so they've made it almost as regulated as firearms. Matter of fact, about the only thing you need to do for firearms in Virginia that you don't need to do for Sudafed is get a background check. Actually, I'm pretty sure they repealed the one-handgun-a-month law that some counties had, too, so there's not even as strict a purchase restriction on guns as there is on cold medicine.

Now they've got rid of the substances that can only be used as drugs, they're going after the substances that are highly useful for other things, but that some people use as drugs. For the children, of course. And so, for the children, in twenty years' time, you may very well not be able to get ahold of Robitussin or nutmeg.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:09:46 AM EDT
[#13]
And here we are, stuck in a world without Kyle...

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:16:57 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
AGNTSA

People keep plucking away at that string, sooner or later it's falls out of tune.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:14:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Ain't Darwin a bitch...
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:20:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Whooohooo! I got me the fixins' for a party!

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:30:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Something like this happened on an Air Force Base.

A technical school studen was "Huffing" dustoff while driving on base

He passed out and ran into the fence next to the golf course, then T boned a Marine's car...

He parks the car and comes running across the drill pad into the dorms with the SP's running after his ass...

The powers that be kicked his ass out....but only after he washed and waxed what had to be the ENTIRE motorpool...

A bucket, hose, rags, a PILE of turtle wax, and I don't know how many trucks and busses parked on our units drill pad... He was thier for quite some time...
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:44:41 PM EDT
[#18]

...or nutmeg.

Nutmeg?  What bad purpose could nutmeg possibly serve?  I mean, I don't care for egg nog all that much, but c'mon...  Seriously, I don't get it, and I'm not about to Googe "nutmeg abuse".  Please enlighten me.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:35:33 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

...or nutmeg.

i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/Cheap9Ball/typewriter.jpg

Nutmeg?  What bad purpose could nutmeg possibly serve?  I mean, I don't care for egg nog all that much, but c'mon...  Seriously, I don't get it, and I'm not about to Googe "nutmeg abuse".  Please enlighten me.

Nutmeg is highly hallucinogenic if smoked...
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:51:58 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Thats just fucking great.

Next, kids will be sticking screwdrivers up their asses and we'll have to ban those too.

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:58:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Ya know, when I was a teen I was busy doing stuff. So many times you hear kids doing stupid crap and they say they did it because they were "bored."
I don't remember being sooooooo bored I'd inhale aerosol cans or sniff glue.

I was no innocent, but I never even THOUGHT of this stuff...Whatever happened to stealing Southern Comfort from someone's father's liquor cabinet and smokin' a little weed?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:58:34 AM EDT
[#22]
If that is true it is very sad.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:02:30 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
AGNTSA

Do you know how many household chemicals can be used as drugs to get high?

I dont need a fucking warning with each and every new drug kids find, hell I'd get 9 emails a day.

Teach your kids. Teach them well. If they WANT to use drugs all the emails in the world wont do shit. All you have is the trust you place in your kid, and the knowledge you give them to make wise choices.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:08:37 AM EDT
[#24]
They can have my dust off when they pry it from my cold dead hands!

Some times stupid hurts! You cant go though life with everything made out of Nerf material!
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:16:02 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

How bout' that

I seem to be getting along just fine, but then again I never felt the need to have a herd of my own.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:24:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Darwin got him!
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:24:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Sad story if true.
OTH sometimes stupid hurts.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:35:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Maybe if the father didn't have a friggin DOPE DOG in his house, little Kyle would've just smoked a doobie, like the other kids.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 7:01:23 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

...or nutmeg.

i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/Cheap9Ball/typewriter.jpg

Nutmeg is a powerful hallucinogen if you eat one or two nutmegs due to myristicin and elemicin. However, consuming enough nutmeg to have hallucinations will almost invariably lead to intense bouts of vomiting, which is why you don't hear about too many people tripping on nutmeg.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 7:08:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Sniffing model airplane glue, gasoline, and other shit has been around for decades - and kids that do it are fucking STUPID!!!

I knew a kid in junior high that used to keep a sandwich bag in with glue in his locker and he would sniff it and get a buzz. This is also the same kid that brought a bottle of amylnitrate (sp?) on a school field trip and got kicked off the bus and suspended from school. I don't know where he is today - but I would venture a guess he's not a productive member of society.

Kids.... glue is for glueing stuff - not sniffing, gas is for motors - not sniffing, and spray paint is for painting - not sniffing. If you don't want to DIE or wind-up with severe mental limitations, DO NOT SNIFF ANY CHEMICALS!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top