Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2014 5:53:33 AM EDT
Ok so those that may remember I asked about a DIY brake job before the holidays, which I will be tackling in a few weeks with the help of a freind. So I started shopping for hardware and had no idea the amount of choices that are avaialbe  

I really like the Advanced offerings from Raybestos and Centric, but can't get past the tons of postive reviews on how the cheap stuff from Autozone (Duralast) is half the cost and works just as well. So I need real world opinions from those I trust. What say ye when ti comes to choosing the maufacturer of your brake hardware?

Link Posted: 1/8/2014 6:03:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Ok so those that may remember I asked about a DIY brake job before the holidays, which I will be tackling in a few weeks with the help of a freind. So I started shopping for hardware and had no idea the amount of choices that are avaialbe  

I really like the Advanced offerings from Raybestos and Centric, but can't get past the tons of postive reviews on how the cheap stuff from Autozone (Duralast) is half the cost and works just as well. So I need real world opinions from those I trust. What say ye when ti comes to choosing the maufacturer of your brake hardware?

View Quote

I've done lots of pad swaps with Duralast. Never any problems. I'll give 2 hints:

1. - get the little tubes of lube to quiet brake squeel. Break squeel can be caused by vibrations between parts. Lube up the mating surfaces when you assemble the calipers, and you are GTG.

2. - Regardless of manufacturer, spend a couple extra bucks on ceremic or semi-ceramic to cut down on the BLACK brake dust. Keeps the wheels a lot cleaner!!!
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 6:08:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Never had a problem with duralast brake parts. They may not last as long (no idea really though) but I have never seen or heard of any pad separation problems with them.

If you have time and are shopping around look into rock auto for cheaper name brand parts.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 6:09:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Duralast is fine.

No OEM makes their own parts, everything is made by subs these days.  Car manufacturers only assemble parts bought elsewhere.

Pay attention as you install any aftermarket parts.  The actual install can make or break your repair.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 6:11:37 AM EDT
[#4]
when i worked at AZ a lot of the duralast rotors came in a different box that said "Brembo" on it, so i'd say they're GTG.  also the duralast gold pads were way better than oem on my F150
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 6:12:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Just about all rotors are made by Centric, in Mexico. I think even my Brembo rotors were. I like the Wagner ThermoQuiet pads but do not use them with Brembo rotors, bad squeal in the morning when cold and slight rust from overnight. I would get the higher end pads from wherever you go and they will be fine. Similar with rotors.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 6:14:42 AM EDT
[#6]
They're fine, but I'd probably go with the Duralast Gold pads.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 6:16:37 AM EDT
[#7]
GTG.  I always get them. Last time I bought Duralast pads they came with a no bullshit lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 6:16:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Duralast is fine.

No OEM makes their own parts, everything is made by subs these days.  Car manufacturers only assemble parts bought elsewhere.

Pay attention as you install any aftermarket parts.  The actual install can make or break your repair.
View Quote

while its true the manufacture has vendors for their parts, a German made TRW pad is going to be way better then a chinese made duralast pad.

I'll never for the life of me understand why people will cheap out on important parts like brakes and suspension...can't afford to keep good safe parts on the car you can't afford the car and its time to down grade to something you can afford.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 6:17:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Never had a problem with duralast brake parts. They may not last as long (no idea really though) but I have never seen or heard of any pad separation problems with them.

If you have time and are shopping around look into rock auto for cheaper name brand parts.
View Quote

I did, in fact my buddy who is helping with the work suggested them, but I can't get past the 100.00+ for shipping 4 rotors and pads.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 6:19:43 AM EDT
[#10]
cheap parts  click me for pretty much the cheapest priced parts you can find  
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 6:20:33 AM EDT
[#11]
No problem with Duralast pads on my Wrangler. They don't last as long as the OEM it seems for some odd reason. Like a member above said, use Brake Caliper Grease / Lube on the Slides (the 2 bolts that hold the caliper in). Remove them both, wipe clean, re-lube (they look like a 3-4" tube that a bolt goes into with a rubber shroud around it)
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 6:21:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Got a code for free shipping?  
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 6:22:54 AM EDT
[#13]
You never know what you are getting when you buy repackaged parts store house brands. Could be good, could be total shit.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 6:29:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

while its true the manufacture has vendors for their parts, a German made TRW pad is going to be way better then a chinese made duralast pad.

I'll never for the life of me understand why people will cheap out on important parts like brakes and suspension...can't afford to keep good safe parts on the car you can't afford the car and its time to down grade to something you can afford.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Duralast is fine.

Please define "better".

When I worked at an automobile repair shop for 7 years, the ONLY set of any brand brake pads I saw fail were a set of OEM pads.  And they failed because the bone head mechanic installed them backward.  Metal on metal isn't a good thing.

With modern materials and manufacturing techniques, the box is the only difference on things like brake pads, when comparing like products (ie, ceramic to ceramic, organic to organic, etc.)

Pay as much as you want, your car will not stop any better than mine.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 6:30:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Duralast rotors and drums are as good as you're going to get from any other company.  Like someone said, they are all made in taco land anyway.  Do get some kind of Ceramic brake pads though, they are a LOT easier on your rotors than the standard sintered metal pads.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 6:31:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly, anytime I've ordered from them shipping was less than 20 bucks and the cheaper price was waaaay better than buying in the local store.  For example, I replaced the fuel filler neck on my Grand Am.  $25 for the same part that Advanced wanted $75 for
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 6:34:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about 5% off through 1/14?  A4264E97BE89
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 6:34:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Honestly, anytime I've ordered from them shipping was less than 20 bucks and the cheaper price was waaaay better than buying in the local store.  For example, I replaced the fuel filler neck on my Grand Am.  $25 for the same part that Advanced wanted $75 for
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe you. The weight of the rotors is what must be killing my shipping  

Link Posted: 1/8/2014 6:35:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll check it out -thanks!
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 6:39:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Make sure you put the code in the "how did you hear about us line" in the check out area.  This took me a while to figure out the first time I used one haha.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 6:43:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Please define "better".

When I worked at an automobile repair shop for 7 years, the ONLY set of any brand brake pads I saw fail were a set of OEM pads.  And they failed because the bone head mechanic installed them backward.  Metal on metal isn't a good thing.

With modern materials and manufacturing techniques, the box is the only difference on things like brake pads, when comparing like products (ie, ceramic to ceramic, organic to organic, etc.)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Duralast is fine.

Please define "better".

I've run an auto repair shop for 10 years.

many aftermarket pads do not meet the same friction rating as factory pads, usually have much lower rating. the extra cost isn't for the box.

your cheap pads and rotors my be fine around town, but a few good highway stops and the difference when you EE rated pads overheat and your barrling off the road.

the bare minumum requirement for anything that leaves my shop is R90/90r
R90 calls for linings to be tested for speed sensitivity, cold performance, and replacement Brake pads and brake shoes are permitted to deviate from the frictional characteristics of their original-equipment counterparts by not more than 15%.[2] In addition, R90 requires tamper-evident, sealed packaging for replacement brake linings.[1]

your pads don't say that, they are junk.

cheap rotors often have inconsistent casting, many will develop fractures from heat, just as often they will develop a pulsation easier as well. then you get to replace them again, where are your savings?

I find it hillarious, people here will buy a high end rifle because it some day might save their lives, then buy cheap brake pads, because it pretty much saves your life every day.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 6:57:33 AM EDT
[#22]
I have used duralast on every car I own since probably the early 90's.
no problems with them, and no problems getting the free replacements when they wear down.

rotors, for the last 2 cars, I get from oreily, since they offer lifetime rotors.
just dropped them off for a new set instead of turning.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 6:58:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Duralast has worked just fine.

I have been using the Advanced Wearever rotors with excellent results also. Jeeps with larger tires seem to love warping rotors and these have held up really well.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 6:58:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Duralast pads are all made by Rolunds, the oem brake pad manufacturer for jag., bmw, and others. They are all made in India at one of two plants. The new Gold line are actually made with the same compounds, cuts, and chamfers you find on the oem and they are now powder coated. Ive had nothing but good experiances with them and they carry a lifetime warranty. AZ rotors are made in Mexico or China and have worked well for me. Duralast starters and alternators surprised me ans all are manufactured by Remy parts. Everyone like to crap on az for cheap parts but you would be suprized if you got to see who actually makes all the parts. For example, Napas top selling reman starters and alts are made by MPA, same company makes AZ's bottom line one year stuff. When it comes to power steering stuff its all made by cardone ind.  Even the dealer with sell you a cardone part on anything older than 2003. Everyone has the same parts. Its all diff boxes and warranties.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 6:58:55 AM EDT
[#25]
GTG
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 7:02:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
1. - get the little tubes of lube to quiet brake squeel. Break squeel can be caused by vibrations between parts. Lube up the mating surfaces when you assemble the calipers, and you are GTG.
View Quote

If it wasn't obvious from the above, here's a reminder:  Clean, inspect, and LUBE the pin on which the calipers float.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 7:34:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have used duralast on every car I own since probably the early 90's.
no problems with them, and no problems getting the free replacements when they wear down.

rotors, for the last 2 cars, I get from oreily, since they offer lifetime rotors.
just dropped them off for a new set instead of turning.
View Quote

a bunch of the moving companies in austin bought duralast brakes for their HD trucks towing moving trailers.  they'd come in and swap them with the warranty probably every 3-6 months.  man they were hard on brakes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top