Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2011 6:02:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/30/2011 7:31:06 PM EDT by SonOfNorway]
I'm in the process of laying down the kitchen tile, been drinking all day, and it looks kinda funny

What have I done
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:03:37 PM EDT
It's definitely an art.

The guys who do it good and do it right get some big bucks.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:09:29 PM EDT
But double taps are easy!  
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:12:50 PM EDT
It's actually very easy, if you haven't been drinking all day.

Mortar consistency, setting the tiles properly with a rubber mallet, and snapping chalk lines as guides (don't use the stupid plastic spacer things).
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:14:43 PM EDT
Its the easiest job you will wish you paid someone else to do.

And you get to find out how square your house really is.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:23:37 PM EDT
Laying pipe is more fun
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:25:06 PM EDT
Originally Posted By jeremy223:

Mortar consistency, setting the tiles properly with a rubber mallet, and snapping chalk lines as guides (don't use the stupid plastic spacer things).

Hmm, I guess thats two things I'm doing wrong So the plastic spacers are no good? My lines are mostly straight, but its a big pain in the ass
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:25:37 PM EDT
Originally Posted By gerfungerpoken:
Laying pipe is more fun

This is what I have been saying... "I'd rather be laying pipe"
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:28:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/30/2011 6:28:46 PM EDT by Formergrunt94]
It's not that they are worthless, it's just that tile manufacturers are allowed size error in the process.  I've seen some that state an error size of 3%.  On 12 inch tile (i.e. 11 3/4 with a 1/4 inch grout line) I've seen actual tile measurements of 11 11/16 to 11 13/16.  The spacers don't allow for the fact that you may have to play with your spacing a little.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:32:28 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SonOfNorway:

Hmm, I guess thats two things I'm doing wrong So the plastic spacers are no good? My lines are mostly straight, but its a big pain in the ass

The plastic spacers are fine. I did my laundry room, kitchen, and dining area with one foot square tiles, and they worked quite well.

You need to use a good mastic trowel (notched), apply enough mastic to do two or three rows at a time, don't make circles with the notched trowel so air-pockets are created, seat the tile firmly, and use the spacers. THEN drink the beer.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:34:14 PM EDT
Originally Posted By new_RRA_user:

The plastic spacers are fine. I did my laundry room, kitchen, and dining area with one foot square tiles, and they worked quite well.

You need to use a good mastic trowel (notched), apply enough mastic to do two or three rows at a time, don't make circles with the notched trowel so air-pockets are created, seat the tile firmly, and use the spacers. THEN drink the beer.

Thats what I've been doing, I'm gonna do a few more rows right now, finished some dinner...

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:36:44 PM EDT

Most important are mortar mix and tile setting. Without these, some of your tiles will be free floating and crack and/or the grout will continually crack.

The spacers are a waste of time and effort, don't even buy them.

No rooms are square - start off by finding the edge that you want to use as a guide, generally the most prominent wall. For each new row of tile, before putting mortar down, place the first and last tiles to align with the previous row, and snap a chalk line between them, which you will use as a guide for spreading your mortar, and to align the edge of each tile in that row.

I made very good money when I was a kid (15-18) doing high end tile work at 2.5-3 times the going rate for very picky customers. They would follow behind me a day later with straight edges and tapping all over every tile with a wooden dowel (reveals un-adhered tiles by change in sound)
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:05:37 PM EDT
Smash it all up and just do a mosaic on the floor.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:29:19 PM EDT
LOL, drunk, laying tile, and duping himself...
Top Top