Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2004 3:08:05 PM EST
Sounds, according to the article, the deputy knew what he was looking at/for.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Police seize illegal weapons in hunting bust
By Chip Thompson
Times-News writer

OAKLEY -- Fans of Bugs Bunny should be glad that Elmer Fudd never had the kind of arsenal seized Sunday by Cassia County sheriff's deputies near Oakley.

Shortly after 1 a.m., officers responded to a report of a person "spotlighting rabbits," meaning the rabbits were being hunted with the aid of a spotlight, near Bostetter Road a few miles west of Oakley, according to the police report.

When they arrived, officers spotted a pickup truck driving through the sagebrush sweeping the area with the headlights and a spotlight on the passenger side. The truck stopped at one point, and six shots were fired from a large-caliber gun, the report said.

After a few minutes, the truck pulled out of the brush and onto Bostetter Road, where it stopped and fired two more shots. Shots continued to be fired from the road over the next two minutes before officers felt it was safe to move in on the truck, the report said.

When the driver and four passengers exited the truck, the officers found seven guns including a fully automatic M-16 rifle and a high-capacity pistol magazine stamped "for law enforcement only" belonging to Johnathan Shults, 26, of Midvale, Utah.

Shults originally denied that the gun was fully automatic, but after the officer pointed out that an M-16 hammer and auto sear had been installed in the semi-automatic XM-15 rifle, he admitted it was and that he had done the work himself, according to the police report.

The officer asked which one of the group was a police officer and had authority to carry the high-capacity magazine, and Shults said it belonged to a relative of his, the report said. The officer said the relative would have to contact the sheriff's department to get it back.

Possession of the rifle and the magazine without a permit constitutes a violation of the National Firearms Act of 1934, and conversion of semi-automatic weapons to fully automatic has been prohibited since 1986, according to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms Web site.

Cassia County Prosecutor Al Barrus instructed the officers to contact the ATF regarding the matter of the seized guns. Cassia County Sheriff Jim Higens said an ATF agent will likely come inspect the guns within two weeks, and federal charges could follow.

Penalties for possession of the rifle could be as much as a $250,000 and 10 years in prison, as well as seizure of the vehicle used to transport the gun. Transportation of the gun across state lines without prior authorization could bring additional penalties.

Shults and four others, Cody Black, 22, of Lehi, Utah, Joshua Waldron, 26, of Salt Lake City, Troy Winmill, 36, of Burley and his son Cody, 14, were cited for hunting with the aid of artificial light. Shults was taken to the Mini-Cassia Criminal Justice Center in order to sort out the issue of the illegal weapons and was later released, the report said.

Gary Hompland, a conservation officer for the Idaho Department of Fish and Game, said using spotlights for hunting on public land requires a permit that is very restrictive. Spotlight permit requirements include use of a red lens and a maximum .22-caliber ammunition and prohibit shooting from a vehicle.

Other possible Fish and Game violations could include hunting species that are out of season, such as cottontail rabbits. But Hompland said the group was likely hunting jack rabbits, which are not a protected species. Use of fully automatic weapons in hunting is only prohibited for protected species as well, he said.

Local gun dealers said the seizure of the weapons was a surprise to them.

Georgia Hauser, co-owner of The Reloading Center in Burley, said her shop sells semi-automatic weapons but is not licensed to sell fully automatic guns.

"Younger kids come in asking about (fully automatic guns)," Hauser said, "but we can't sell them without getting a special license." She added that the shop is not interested in obtaining the license or selling fully automatic weapons.

"I'm against them. You don't need an automatic weapon," said Terry Quinn, a retired Rupert police officer who now works at the Burley Pawn Shop.

"The thing that scares me about them, it's like these kids with guns -- you get caught up in the heat of the moment and pull it out and use it," he said.

Quinn also commented on what the officers must have gone through as they waited to approach the truck.

"It must have been scary for the officers," he said. "You don't know what you've got. It could be guys practicing for a bank robbery."

Barrus said all those cited will be required to appear in court and enter pleas. If they plead innocent, a trial date would be set. The likely punishment for the hunting violation would be a fine, he said.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:12:01 PM EST
Since when is an AR15 a large caliber weapon?

The cop that could identify the FA parts was on top of his game though. Most probably can't tell a post ban from a pre ban.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:12:25 PM EST
All that for a rabbit
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:20:28 PM EST
Yes , But at least the Rabbits made it home safely.......

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:21:58 PM EST

Originally Posted By AKsRule:

If the guy was just hunting dogs they would have hired him instead of arrested him.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:23:46 PM EST
Its for the rabbits.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:26:35 PM EST

Originally Posted By Tactical_Jew:
Gary Hompland, a conservation officer for the Idaho Department of Fish and Game, said using spotlights for hunting on public land requires a permit that is very restrictive. Spotlight permit requirements include use of a red lens and a maximum .22-caliber ammunition and prohibit shooting from a vehicle.

And to think, they were off by only 3/1000th's of an inch.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:29:42 PM EST

Originally Posted By Drakich:

Actually 4/1000th's.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:30:13 PM EST

Originally Posted By BallisticTip:
Its for the rabbits.

Damn Right!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:37:14 PM EST

Originally Posted By sgtar15:

If the guy was just hunting dogs they would have hired him instead of arrested him.

hehe...thats good.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:40:48 PM EST

Possession of the rifle and the magazine without a permit constitutes a violation of the National Firearms Act of 1934, and conversion of semi-automatic weapons to fully automatic has been prohibited since 1986, according to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms Web site.

The reporter almost got it right. The MG charge would be from NFA 1934, but the magazine marked LEO would be covered under the 1994 Crime Bill.

Boys, say hello to a Federal ass-pounding prison.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:45:38 PM EST

Originally Posted By C-4:

The reporter almost got it right. The MG charge would be from NFA 1934, but the magazine marked LEO would be covered under the 1994 Crime Bill.

If his record is clean he will get probation and a fine.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:49:24 PM EST
This is why we never get any good case law on MG's and NFA stuff. They always catch the culprit doing some other "crime" at the same time. I almost wish they would catch a healthy, normal, no criminal record type with a illegal MG so we can challenge the NFA. Not certian we would win or even make it to the Supreme Court, being as they don't want to decide on the 2nd Amendment.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:49:27 PM EST

Originally Posted By TylerSchreck:

Originally Posted By C-4:

If his record is clean he will get probation and a fine.

I hope so.. Burn 'em on the poaching charges, but as for the full-auto stuff.....I see no transgression there.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:58:39 PM EST
Ho boy. Looks like we've got the second conviction under the 94 AWB.

...and only a few weeks before the ban expires. Morons.....

Mike
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:15:09 PM EST

Poaching???? That isnt poaching, that is just good clean fun, I mean minus the illegal MG and illegal mag (that is just plain dumb!!!). Some of those "jack" bunnies are just asking for it, always pointing and laughing, I mean something had to give....right? Hey, maybe one of those bunnies charged the truck and it was the Utah kid or the bunny, every think about that?

I remember one time I was out driving a dirt road at night, and I noticed an unusual amount of Jack bunnies milling about, almost like they were up to something.....plotting something, ya-know? Well, before I knew it they charged my position...bunnies everywhere! It was a damn good thing I had my trusty 10/22, a spotlight and 6 30rd mags all loaded up or I might not be here to tell the tale. Whew! just thinking about it make my hair stand on end.

I dont know what makes good bunnies go bad, or what those folks in Utah were thinking, but next time you are out at night on a dirt road keep an eye out!

"G"

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:22:19 PM EST
Probation...perhaps but I suspect he'll spend some time behind bars. He may even hear the phrase "You got a perty mouth"
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:22:49 PM EST
I support his arrest on the charge of poaching (hunting at night). But I'm saddened that he'll be charged with firearms crimes.

Not that I advocate illegal activity - I just believe there should be no law preventing ownership of those types of weapons.

STILL - no one has ever been charged with an AWB violation not associated with another, larger crime.

The country kept a perfect 10-year record. Bravo.

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:24:13 PM EST

Originally Posted By crazyquik:
Since when is an AR15 a large caliber weapon?

The cop that could identify the FA parts was on top of his game though. Most probably can't tell a post ban from a pre ban.

When you are armed with a pistol...............................any rifle, even a small rifle, is "large caliber".
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:24:48 PM EST

Originally Posted By sgtar15:

Originally Posted By AKsRule:

SGatr15

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:26:42 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:27:34 PM EST

[If his record is clean he will get probation and a fine.

And loose his right to ever own a firearm again. That's the worst penalty, if you ask me.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:32:30 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/25/2004 4:33:49 PM EST by AlphaBobRI]

Originally Posted By Sweep:
How do you figure?

Could it be that many bullets are actually .224 (Hornady has a dozen (actually 29) of those, but only one .223)?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:33:17 PM EST

Originally Posted By AlphaBobRI:

[If his record is clean he will get probation and a fine.

And loose his right to ever own a firearm again. That's the worst penalty, if you ask me.

Be glad TC6969 is at a Bluegrass concert - he'd be all over you.

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:33:50 PM EST

Originally Posted By rebel_rifle:

Originally Posted By Drakich:

Actually 4/1000th's.

How do you figure?

.220 to .221 is 1/1000th .221 to .222 is 2/1000th .222 to .223 is 3/1000th

.223 minus 4/1000 = .199

.223 bullets are actually .224 inches in diameter.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:34:15 PM EST
dumbass in my book, but this sounds crazy.

Penalties for possession of the rifle could be as much as a $250,000 and 10 years in prison, as well as seizure of the vehicle used to transport the gun.

you can murder somebody and get off with less than that!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:34:20 PM EST
That guy was pretty stupid bringing the illegalaly converted gun out while fucking hunting illegally ( what a fucktard) I mean we all know that if your going to convert your gun to full auto keep that shit at home under lock and key waiting for TEOTWAWKI. Right?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:35:28 PM EST
Are federal informant's eligible for FEHB, FEGLI or FERS?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:35:34 PM EST

Originally Posted By Palo_Duro:
...And loose his right to ever own a firearm again. That's the worst penalty, if you ask me.

CRAP! Whew, as bad as work was, at least I survived this then!
"Lose"
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:35:44 PM EST

Originally Posted By repub18:
That guy was pretty stupid bringing the illegalaly converted gun out while fucking hunting illegally ( what a fucktard) I mean we all know that if your going to convert your gun to full auto keep that shit at home under lock and key waiting for TEOTWAWKI. Right?

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:37:56 PM EST

Originally Posted By AlphaBobRI:

Originally Posted By Palo_Duro:
...And loose his right to ever own a firearm again. That's the worst penalty, if you ask me.

CRAP! Whew, as bad as work was, at least I survived this then!
"Lose"

I just think its hilarious for someone to get so peeved about something as minor as that. I find it more entertaining than anything else.

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:41:04 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:41:36 PM EST

Local gun dealers said the seizure of the weapons was a surprise to them.

Georgia Hauser, co-owner of The Reloading Center in Burley, said her shop sells semi-automatic weapons but is not licensed to sell fully automatic guns.

"Younger kids come in asking about (fully automatic guns)," Hauser said, "but we can't sell them without getting a special license." She added that the shop is not interested in obtaining the license or selling fully automatic weapons.

"I'm against them. You don't need an automatic weapon," said Terry Quinn, a retired Rupert police officer who now works at the Burley Pawn Shop.

"The thing that scares me about them, it's like these kids with guns -- you get caught up in the heat of the moment and pull it out and use it," he said.

Quinn also commented on what the officers must have gone through as they waited to approach the truck.

"It must have been scary for the officers," he said. "You don't know what you've got. It could be guys practicing for a bank robbery."

SO NOBODY NOTICED THE ANTI-GUN GUNSTORE OWNER COMMENT ?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:50:09 PM EST
pThat gunstore comment was pretty fucked up but you hear it often (gunshow owners that wont carry AR's because they agree with the AWB). Why the hell are you in the business and in the NRA if you dont support the 2nd amendment 100%??
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:58:52 PM EST

How do you figure?

.220 to .221 is 1/1000th .221 to .222 is 2/1000th .222 to .223 is 3/1000th

.223 minus 4/1000 = .199

They're actually .224... .223 is a misnomer.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:03:01 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:07:16 PM EST
Gee, I thought this was gonna be a thread about what's his face??? DrewTX?? and that thing he was trying to sell here!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:08:00 PM EST

Originally Posted By -Absolut-:

Penalties for possession of the rifle could be as much as a $250,000 and 10 years in prison, as well as seizure of the vehicle used to transport the gun.

You better believe it! Just ask Ted Kennedy.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:10:02 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:11:30 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:11:32 PM EST

Originally Posted By Paul:

Shults originally denied that the gun was fully automatic, but after the officer pointed out that an M-16 hammer and auto sear had been installed in the semi-automatic XM-15 rifle, he admitted it was and that he had done the work himself, according to the police report.

A cop that actually could tell the difference between an M-16 and AR-15 hammer and sear???

Must have been swat or something, or a AFRCOM member
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:14:54 PM EST

Originally Posted By Bubbatheredneck:

Originally Posted By -Absolut-:

You better believe it! Just ask Ted Kennedy.

ZING!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:19:59 PM EST
he will be heading to the hooscow soon
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:24:03 PM EST

Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1:
Geez, next you'll claim a .38 Spl isn't really a .38! And a .30-06 Spfld. isn't really a .30 caliber. And DO NOT tell me a thutty-thutty . . . isn't.

PErhaps it's the rum...but uh, what?

.357 and .38 revolver rounds share the same bore size...

.30-06 is 30 caliber period, same with a .30-30, .30 carbine, 7.62 NATO, 7.62 Russian, 7.62x54R, etc..(just Russian bores were a little larger for their own purposes, what, .311? something like that...)

I don't see the issue

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:50:54 PM EST

Originally Posted By repub18:

Originally Posted By Paul:

A cop that actually could tell the difference between an M-16 and AR-15 hammer and sear???

Must have been swat or something, or a AFRCOM member

OK Arfcom members. Who here was the cop that busted the idiots? Also, the idiots using the illegal hardware better not have been Arfcomers! We don't need to give the gun-grabbers more excuses to use against us.
Top Top