Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/6/2004 4:55:44 AM EST
Due to excessive rot at the base, I'm going to have my beautiful 55 year-old oak tree removed from my yard. I want to plant a successor using acorns from the doomed tree.

Can I just simply plant the acorns in the ground or should I plant them in a pot first and then transfer? Has anybody had any success establishing a new tree from seed?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:58:44 AM EST

Originally Posted By SWS:
Due to excessive rot at the base, I'm going to have my beautiful 55 year-old oak tree removed from my yard. I want to plant a successor using acorns from the doomed tree.

Can I just simply plant the acorns in the ground or should I plant them in a pot first and then transfer? Has anybody had any success establishing a new tree from seed?

A squirrel started a new one for me, really!
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:01:43 AM EST
I have a pecan tree that a squirrel was kind enough to start for me. It was coming up in my landscaping. I pulled it up and put in in a pot. It's about 2 feet tall now. I'm gonna set it out in the yard eventually. What ever you do. it's gonna be a long long time before you have an oak tree big enough to give you any shade if you start it from an acorn. I would probably go to a nursery and buy one before I started it from an acorn.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:04:36 AM EST
Acorns are a bitch to get started.

The only successful ones i've seen were of the "oops" category of just letting them sit on the ground... a little sprout looking like a "tail" emerged from the ass end of the acorn and went into the ground.

- BG
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:05:17 AM EST

Have you talked to an arborist about saving your existing tree?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:15:29 AM EST
I planted some red oak acorns about 15 years ago and the two trees that came from them are about 25 feet tall now. Patience is the key when dealing with oaks. If you want quick shade, plant poplars.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:15:49 AM EST
You might want to think about starting it on some VERY moist paper towels or inside in a pot with some Miricle Grow.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:19:03 AM EST

Originally Posted By arowneragain:

Yes. Two of them.

Both offered suggestions, but they were less than optimistic about the long-term fix. Because this tree is BIG and located on a typical city lot, I can't mess around with half measures. If this sucker came down, it would cause major damage to both my house and the neighbor's house/garage.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:59:57 AM EST

Originally Posted By arowneragain:

Yes. Two of them.

Both offered suggestions, but they were less than optimistic about the long-term fix. Because this tree is BIG and located on a typical city lot, I can't mess around with half measures. If this sucker came down, it would cause major damage to both my house and the neighbor's house/garage.

Arborists aren't paid to be optimists.....having said that, it it's cost-effective, try to save the tree. It's doubtful it'll fall until long after it becomes obvious that it can't be saved.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:35:38 AM EST
For me small cup, to larger pot, then outside, they are about 15' and doing fine.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:50:28 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:27:37 PM EST
I have done it several times. Rather than go into the whole process, try a AltaVista or Google on "oak tree propagation"

Basically, you need to let the seed (acorn) soak, freeze it and then chill it for two to three months.

Do several, and once they are up and going good, pick the best and remove the rest.

I have about eight Goobler oaks going right now.

Arc
Top Top