Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 11/23/2012 3:44:05 PM EST
You palmetto state folks care to chime in? In 2 weeks I'm taking the family to Disney. I'll be taking I-77/I-95 and will be passing through SC during Saturday afternoon. I thought it would be cool to take in a local BBQ joint for some good southern cookin' and sweet tea. This place seems to get good reviews. I realize there are multiple locations, I'm leaning towards the one in Walterboro.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 3:46:46 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/23/2012 3:47:02 PM EST by vanvideo]
Duke's is the Best!!! Their hash is the best on earth.

Any Duke's is good. I usually ate at the original restaurant in Orangeburg, off of I-26.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 3:58:09 PM EST
Not to hijack, but consider jumping off of I-77 at Columbia and taking the back roads down through Georgia instead of driving I-95.

I do it all the time when I drive down to Tampa and it doesn't add a whole lot of time. It's cool to see the small towns and is WAY less stressful.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:00:44 PM EST
As long as its not mustard sauce.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:00:58 PM EST
Bessinger's.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:05:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/23/2012 4:06:05 PM EST by MikeEIB]
Originally Posted By VACaver:
Not to hijack, but consider jumping off of I-77 at Columbia and taking the back roads down through Georgia instead of driving I-95.

I do it all the time when I drive down to Tampa and it doesn't add a whole lot of time. It's cool to see the small towns and is WAY less stressful.

That sounds interesting. I'll look into that. Thank you.

Originally Posted By 64FXR:
Bessinger's.

>Dukes?
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:07:35 PM EST
Gardner's in Rocky Mount, NC just off I-95
Southern Soul on St. Simon's Island, GA a bit off I-95

Decent if you are going that way.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:08:46 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/23/2012 4:10:44 PM EST by limestonecowboy]
I ate at Little Pigs in Columbia last week and it was damn good. Mustard sauce rules, but they had vinegar, sweet, and dry too. Did I mention buffet style?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:01:42 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/23/2012 5:02:43 PM EST by David14]
Originally Posted By vanvideo:
Duke's is the Best!!! Their hash is the best on earth.

Another Two Thumbs Up for Dukes! Although I am also a big fan of Maurice's mustard-based sauce.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:07:22 PM EST

Originally Posted By delemorte:
As long as its not crock pot pork butt with vinegar sauce.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:09:54 PM EST
Originally Posted By diehippy:

Originally Posted By delemorte:
As long as its not crock pot pork butt with vinegar sauce.

What ever ya hippy
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:10:03 PM EST
Originally Posted By MikeEIB:

Bessinger's.

>Dukes?

Yes. The mustard based sauce is similar to Maurice's/Duke's, but the fries and deep
fried, thick-battered onion rings put B over the top.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:11:58 PM EST
The one in Walterboro is excellent. Also recommend the restaurant in Santee. I'll remember the name in a few...
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:12:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/23/2012 5:12:58 PM EST by freeride21a]

Bessinger's.

>Dukes?

Yes. The mustard based sauce is similar to Maurice's/Duke's, but the fries and deep

Who eats fries and rings when you are at a world class BBQ joint?!! that stuff is FILLER and has no business taking away meat space in my stomach.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:14:16 PM EST
Duke's is legit. You won't go wrong there.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:14:36 PM EST
maurices

LOLLLLLLLLL
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:17:30 PM EST
I grew up going to the Dukes in Charleston that was only open on the weekends.
Hash is different than bbq, I just don't know how to describe the difference.
Damn fine place to eat!

You may want to give Bessingers a try while you're at it. It's mustard based but damn good! The onion rings are the best i've ever had!
They are the size of donuts.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:19:21 PM EST
Originally Posted By freeride21a:

Bessinger's.

>Dukes?

Who eats fries and rings when you are at a world class BBQ joint?!! that stuff is FILLER and has no business taking away meat space in my stomach.

Back when I did eat meat, I thouroughly enjoyed all parts of the Big Joe Platter.
Since I've given up meat (pescatarian) I've found that the sauces/onion rings/ fries
are what keeps me and the family going back.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:21:49 PM EST
Dukes is pretty good. Was just there a couple weeks ago. Another really good one is Daves Famous in Statesboro NC. His slaw is crazy good.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:23:46 PM EST
Originally Posted By freeride21a:

Bessinger's.

>Dukes?

Back when I did eat meat, I thouroughly enjoyed all parts of the Big Joe Platter.
Since I've given up meat (pescatarian) I've found that the sauces/onion rings/ fries
are what keeps me and the family going back.

Gotcha.

I love seafood too.. sometimes I wonder if I like it more than bbq.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:25:04 PM EST
I have found a solution to this dilenma. We'll go to Dukes on the way down and have Bessinger's on the way back. I'm originally from Southern Ohio, so I should blend right in with the locals.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:00:26 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/23/2012 6:01:10 PM EST by 64FXR]
Get both!!
Top Top