Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2003 7:03:47 AM EDT
Ive got a copy of Linux Mandrake 9.0 and Im currently running Win 2K Pro. Id like to have them duel boot on this machine, but the only way I know how to do it is to install Linux first and then Windows. If I do that I lose all the stuff on my computer on the Windows partition and get to start all over again, is there a way to do it without having to reload Windows?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:24:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Duel booting?  So you're going to have them fight? [:)]

Just create two partitions, and you'll almost always be ok.  There aren't too many versions of Windows that will clobber a partition that it doesn't own.  If you can find a nondestructive partitioning program, like Partition Magic, you can reduce the size of your current Windows partition, create a new partition from the newly created empty space, then install Linux into the new partition without losing any data.  It does work well.  I haven't done it in years, so I'm sure someone else can provide more help.

Also, you might want to consider adding a second drive to put Linux on.  For the price of Partition Magic, you can buy a hard drive.z
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:24:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I installed Redhat 8 on a second hard drive on my XP Pro machine without any problems. The problem came about when I uninstalled it and the windows MBR was left with GRUB on it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:56:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I installed Redhat 8 on a second hard drive on my XP Pro machine without any problems. The problem came about when I uninstalled it and the windows MBR was left with GRUB on it.
View Quote

fdisk /mbr will get rid of it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:27:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Duel booting?  So you're going to have them fight? [:)]
View Quote

Beat me to it.  [;)]

There aren't too many versions of Windows that will clobber a partition that it doesn't own.
View Quote

I have had XP and W2k overwrite the boot sector of the drive, though, so if you install Linux first, you'll have to re-install LILO or Grub after installing Windoze.

Since you're installing Linux 2nd, MadProfessor, it should be fine.  Like zoom says, just use partition magic.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:54:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Linux or DOS fdisk?

I ran into the same thing when I got rid of Redhat 9 (ran slower than Windows and a PITA to get my NICs/hardware recognized).  I deleted all partitions, made new ones using the DOS fdisk, and Grub was still on it.  I finally got rid of Grub by using a W2K install disk to remove partitions and reformatted the entire drive in NTFS.

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:04:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Linux or DOS fdisk?

I ran into the same thing when I got rid of Redhat 9 (ran slower than Windows and a PITA to get my NICs/hardware recognized).  I deleted all partitions, made new ones using the DOS fdisk, and Grub was still on it.  I finally got rid of Grub by using a W2K install disk to remove partitions and reformatted the entire drive in NTFS.
View Quote

DOS "fdisk /mbr" does the trick.  There are actually two things stored in the boot sector of the hard disk:  1) Boot code that gets run by the BIOS to find and load the operating system.  2) Partition table (and a backup).  fdisk normally only touches (2) to change the partition information.  "fdisk /mbr" actually rewrites the boot code on the boot sector with a generic booting routing.  LILO and Grub put their bootstrap code there, so the /mbr option will remove them.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 12:15:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Linux or DOS fdisk?

View Quote

I use a Win98 boot disk just because that is what I usually have lying around.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:17:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I tried the MBR repair, but whoever built my computer set the admin password and I had no clue what it was. Of course it was 2am when I was working on it and decided to "fix" it myself. Didn't lose any data and all works well now.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 1:45:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I tried the MBR repair, but whoever built my computer set the admin password and I had no clue what it was.
View Quote

Would not have mattered if you had the password or not.

DOS or Win98 doesn't support NTFS security and can re-write the MBR at will.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:01:10 AM EDT
[#10]
even with an XP machine?
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:53:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:55:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
even with an XP machine?
View Quote

Doesn't matter whether it's NT, 2000, or XP.

You are booting from the floppy disk to 98/DOS.

I've personally done it on all three listed OS's to remove GRUB, Western Digital's EZ BIOS, and some nasty boot sector viruses.

Worked like a charm every time [:D]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:37:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Western Digital's EZ BIOS, and some nasty boot sector viruses.
View Quote

In my experience, EZ BIOS [i]is[/i] a nasty boot sector virus.  [;)]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:02:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
In my experience, EZ BIOS [i]is[/i] a nasty boot sector virus.
View Quote

LOL, going to have to agree with on that fizassist!

Definitely creates more problems then it solves.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:20:54 AM EDT
[#15]
cool, I will have to remember that next time I get the urge to set up Linux on my second drive. Now where did I put that 98 disc?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top