Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2008 2:40:08 PM EDT
Is this a sign of times to come?  

Airport staff stop passenger boarding for wearing Transformers T-shirt

Airport guards have stopped a man boarding a plane for wearing a Transformers T-shirt showing a cartoon gun.
Brad Jayakody, 30, was told he had to change his T-shirt if he wanted to catch his flight from Heathrow's Terminal 5.

His top showed the Transformers film character Optimus Prime holding a gun.

Mr Jayakody, an IT consultant, was scheduled to board the British Airways plane to Dusseldorf, Germany, with four work colleagues.

Article continuesadvertisement
"My mate set off the alarms and was searched. But then the guy told me to stop and said 'you cannot get on the plane because there is a gun on your T-shirt'" he said.

Mr Jayakody, from Bayswater, West London was then threatened with arrest after he asked to see the security chief.

He said: "It's a cartoon robot with a gun as an arm. What was I going to do, use the shirt to pretend I have a gun?

"I was flabbergasted. I thought the supervisor would come over and see sense, but he didn't. After I changed he said if I changed back I would be arrested."

A spokesman for Heathrow operator BAA said: "If a T-shirt had a rude word or a bomb on it for example, a passenger may be asked to remove it.

"We are investigating what happened to see if it came under this category."

Last year Gatwick guards made a woman hand over a beef sandwich before boarding and last week a PhD student was stopped for wearing a gun-shaped charm necklace at an airport in Canada.

In 2006 a human rights activist was prevented from boarding a plane in New York, for while wearing a T-shirt that read, "We will not be silent," in English and Arabic.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:42:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:43:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to last week.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:44:20 PM EDT
[#3]
DUPE!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:45:25 PM EDT
[#4]

UK is completely insane.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:46:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/00675/transformer_675685e.jpg

UK is completely insane.

+1

It is truely amazing how far they have fallen.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:50:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
DUPE!

Oops...  Oh well, did a search for 3 mos. on "t-shirt flight" and "tshirt flight."
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:38:42 PM EDT
[#7]
person with gun = citizen

person without gun = subject

Once again, the second maintains the first
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top