Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/12/2006 6:22:32 AM EDT
"Dude, Where's My Tank?"
by Joe Katzman on February 12, 2006 02:53 AM

Q: What do you get when you put Belgium, the U.N., and a military endeavour together in one place?

On February 3, 2006, it was reported that 15 of Belgium's Pandur armored personnel carriers were stolen, together with radio equipment and field kitchens. Those 15 APCs represent fully one quarter of Belgium's Pandur inventory.

The equipment was meant for a Beninese battalion that is part of the UN force in the Congo, and the UN was in charge of shipping it. But the colossal screw-up involved isn't nearly as darkly funny as the pathetic reactions of both Kofi Annan's UN and Belgium after they got punk'd by two-bit Fourth World shysters.

Whoa, dude, let's outsource America's security to these guys!

DID has the details....

Direct Link | Comments (6) | TrackBacks (0) | Printer-Friendly | E-mail This!

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:26:57 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:27:17 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:29:11 AM EDT
THE GOVNER NOW HAS THE TANK OF THE DEAD. HE WILL DEADED YOU WITH THE TANK OF THE DEAD IF YOU DO NOT SHIP MY ANUS.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:31:24 AM EDT
Holy shit. I can see stealing maybe one of them, but how the hell do you steal 15 and not get caught?!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:32:50 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:40:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Specop_007:
Holy shit. I can see stealing maybe one of them, but how the hell do you steal 15 and not get caught?!

Uh, it helps if they are all on the same freighter togeather, and are shipped sans soldiers...

On February 3, 2006, it was reported that 15 of Belgium's Pandur armored personnel carriers were stolen, together with radio equipment and field kitchens. The equipment was meant for a Beninese battalion that is part of the UN force in the Congo.Thanks to some help from DID's Benelux reader David Vandenberghe, DID can bring you the details.

In December a ship under the flag of Saint Kitts & Nevis (VRT's report was incorrect) left the Belgian port of Zeebrugge for Congo, chartered by Geodis under the auspices of the UN. The cargo ship never made it to its destination. Four weeks ago the ship was seized in a port in Equatorial Guinea....

The MV Eurocarrier ship had apparently made an unplanned stop without permission from Geodis in Malabo, Equatorial Guinea in West Africa. VRT reports that the four Beninese soldiers that were guarding the material were imprisoned in Equatorial Guinea, while the expensive freight was taken off the ship. This apparently happened about 6 weeks ago; meanwhile GvA (Newspaper from Antwerp) reports that the Beninese guards were released almost in late January 2006; the 23 ship crew are reported to be "under house arrest."

Pandur APC
(click to view full)I suppose it's worth mentioning at this point that 15 Pandur APCs actually represent fully one-quarter of Belgium's total inventory. Or a third of its remaining inventory, take your pick.

Meanwhile, It's hard to decide which response to all this has more dark humour value - the UN's, or Belgium's.

VRT News reports that UN Secretary General Kofi Annan has already contacted the president of Equatorial Guinea, but reports noted that "these talks did not yield much result." Imagine. The report adds that: "A United Nations team is to set out to the area to inspect the convoy. It is feared however that the expensive material is stolen."

Good idea to send a UN team to confirm that one.

The Belgian army, meanwhile, says that the responsibility for the incident lies entirely with the UN and the freight carrier:

"Army spokesman Nick Van Haver confirms that the ship is still kept under embargo and that the UN is looking for a diplomatic solution. He added that Belgium is only lending the material to the UN and that it is the UN that has to deal with the matter now."

Nothing like calling on the UN's expertise with stolen property. Yeah, that ought to get their 15 APCs back...

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:03:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Specop_007:

When you pay someone in the UN to lose them.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:27:01 AM EDT
And so begins the finger pointing.. Poor little Belgium. Great beer, terrible army.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:31:44 AM EDT
Nice.

Top Top