Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2003 6:48:32 AM EDT
TERRORISM: The Unexpected Peace Dividend

December 29, 2003: The War on Terror has had an unintended, and welcome, side effect; world peace. Since September 11, 2001, and the aggressive American operations against terrorist organizations, several long time wars have ended, or moved sharply in that direction. Many of these wars get little attention in American media, but have killed hundreds of thousands of people over the last decade. These include conflicts in Nepal, Sri Lanka, Colombia, Chad, Congo, Kashmir, Israel, Kurdistan, Philippines, Burundi, Somalia and Sudan. Some of these conflicts diminished because they had been going on for a while and, as is usually the case with wars, eventually the participants are worn down and make peace. But in all these sudden outbreaks of peace there was another factor; an American crackdown on terrorist activities around the world. The rebels in most of these wars depended on money raised outside their country to keep the fighting going, and on gun runners able to get weapons in. American anti-terrorism operations, energized by the shock of the September 11, 2001 attacks, now included cooperation from many nations, especially in Europe, that had tolerated, on their territory, fund raising, recruiting and public relations efforts by various rebel groups. No more. Most of these rebel organizations had already been declared "terrorist groups" (which they were, as most rebellions use terror, the American Revolution included). Once the U.S. and other nations began to crack down on the fund raising and other activities, it became difficult to keep many wars going.

But there was more going on than shutting down fund raising. There was now enormous pressure on gun runners, smugglers and suppliers of forged documents and irregular travel services. The same illegal "service industries" that al Qaeda depended on were also used by dozens of revolutionary groups. All were now being pressured by police world wide, and many were shut down. Now it was harder to run illegal weapons into Africa, South America and South Asia. The East European governments that had looked the other way for so long (in return getting a piece of the action), began enforcing laws against gun running and illegal logistics.

And then there were those countries that actually encouraged and supported (for a variety of reasons), or just tolerated, rebel groups in neighboring nations. The U.S. was leaning on that sort of activity as well. So Libya stopped supporting various African rebel groups. Other African countries that were acting like Libya also shut down their support for rebels across their borders. This also made it more difficult for rebel groups to keep themselves going.

All of a sudden, rebels in many conflicts around the world discovered that negotiation offered better prospects than did continued fighting. And so it came to pass that in the wake of September 11, 2001, peace broke out in many odd parts of the world. And hardly anyone noticed.

www.strategypage.com/fyeo/qndguide/default.asp?target=URBANG.HTM

I'd say peace is in American national interest.  Wouldn't you agree liberty86 and TheDave1164?  Or should we just butt out, none of our business?
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:55:19 AM EDT
For the life of me, I can't think of any low-key conflict that has ended because of the War On Terror®. Kindly try to name one.
Otherwise: War Is Peace, Ignorance Is Strength, Freedom Is Slavery.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:15:44 AM EDT
These include conflicts in Nepal, Sri Lanka, Colombia, Chad, Congo, Kashmir, Israel, Kurdistan, Philippines, Burundi, Somalia and Sudan.
View Quote

Maybe you should read the article...
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:27:31 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Kar98:
For the life of me, I can't think of any low-key conflict that has ended because of the War On Terror[red]®[/red]. Kindly try to name one.
View Quote

Love it. [ROFL]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:33:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/29/2003 7:35:23 AM EDT by cduarte]
well, having personally dealt with Idriss Deby's regime and [s]tribesmen[/s]thugs, I sincerely doubt that Chadians are better off as a result of this.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:35:29 AM EDT

What goes on in the Phillipines, Somalia, Israel etc has no bearing on any vital US interests.

Let them all go to war, let them all develop and weaponize anthrax and smallpox, let them all have ICBMs and suitcase nukes - [b]just leave them alone and they'll leave us alone.[/b]

[:)]

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:43:23 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Zaphod:
These include conflicts in Nepal, Sri Lanka, Colombia, Chad, Congo, Kashmir, Israel, Kurdistan, Philippines, Burundi, Somalia and Sudan.
View Quote

Maybe you should read the article...
View Quote

I did...

Dec 27, 2003
KATHMANDU: Four soldiers were killed when their truck ran over a landmine planted by suspected Maoist rebels in Nepal. In a  separate incident, two Maoists were killed in a gunbattle with soldiers in Morang in east Nepal.

Sri Lanka urged Japan and other foreign donor countries Sunday to honour their promises of aid and allow time for resolving the government's internal power struggle and reviving the stalled peace process with Tamil rebels.

Rebels say no to peace talks:
The smaller of two Colombian leftist rebel groups has rejected a government offer to open peace talks, local media reported Sunday. The ELN and the the larger Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, known as the FARC, have been battling to topple the government and establish a Marxist state in Colombia for four decades. About 3,500 people, mainly civilians, die in the fighting each year.

Dec 23, 2003
The refugee crisis in eastern Chad is growing worse.

Congo's conflict erupted in 1998 when Rwanda invaded to hunt down those who committed the 1994 Rwandan genocide and fled into the lawless wilds of the former Zaire.
The war mushroomed into an African scramble for Congo's vast natural riches, including diamonds and timber, when Zimbabwe and Angola sided with the Kinshasa government against rebel groups backed by Rwanda and Uganda.
The collapse of Congo, a country the size of Western Europe, continues to cause untold suffering.

DECEMBER 27, 2003
The security forces have killed three militants in separate incidents in Jammu and Kashmir since Thursday. Also, a powerful blast on the Srinagar-Baramulla national highway on Friday killed a girl and injured nine others, the police said.
Three militants belonging to the Hizbul Mujahideen and Lashkar-e-Toiba were also arrested. Militants detonated an IED on the highway at Singhpora near Pattan, 27 kms from here, when a security vehicle was passing the road.
The security personnel in the vehicle escaped unhurt, but the blast killed a girl named Shahzada and wounded nine pedestrains.
In Doda, the forces killed a militant and recovered a pistol, magazine, six rounds, a wireless set and two hand grenades from him. In another encounter at Shikari Kala in Udhampur district, a militant was shot dead.

Three Palestinians were apparently shot dead by Israeli army fire overnight Sunday near a Jewish settlement in the Gaza Strip, a military source said.
"Many armed Palestinian activists were spotted late afternoon Sunday near the Netzarim settlement (in the northern Gaza Strip) from where mortar shells were fired, injuring no one," the source said.

U.S. Marines entered Tikrit at about 5 a.m. on April 14, barely firing a shot.
By midday, the streets were virtually deserted of local Iraqis. In the villages surrounding Tikrit, gangs of Kurds invaded Sunni Arab villages, kidnapping and looting.

I'm bored now ;)
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:13:26 AM EDT

I'm bored now ;)
View Quote

Me too.... [:D]

"World Peace"?? Eh, Raven??  [ROFL2]

Gimmee a shout, when Americans stop coming home maimed, or in Body Bags, THEN tell me all about world peace!!! [ROFL]

When Bush has "coalition" troops all over the world, we'll have YOUR "World Peace".. [:D]

Wait 'till you see it!!  [ROFL2]

(Oh, wait!! We already do!!!  [snoopy])

Why don't ya beat yer guns into "plowshares", to celebrate!!!  [ROFL]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:17:59 AM EDT

I did...
View Quote

Not according to your original question.

Now, if you disagree with the statement, then you are right to post opposing evidence, as you did. I was simply calling you on the question.

BTW, do the stick-your-head-in-the-sand types actually believe that "World Peace" can ONLY be defined by "absolutely positively no violence whatsoever of any kind"?

Considering the foolishness of the other extremist/idealist views held by them, it wouldn't surprise me...
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:31:29 AM EDT
For the life of me, I can't think of any low-key conflict that has ended because of the War On Terror®. Kindly try to name one.
View Quote

Do you like The Strokes, you filthy Texan?
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:46:43 AM EDT
Raven,

If this wasn't so absurd and a blatant disregard for human life, it would be laughable.

The endless reach to justify bush's empire building grows tiresome.

One day you will grow up and think for yourself, one day reality will come calling.

Till then, keep on reaching....
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:52:06 AM EDT
Originally Posted By MountainMan8:
View Quote

Do you like The Strokes, you [red]filthy Texan[/red]?
View Quote

Oh, oh.....[:O]

An attack on one, is an attack on all.[}:D]

Yer doomed.........[xx(]

Whatsa "stroke"....[:P]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:06:32 AM EDT
Originally Posted By liberty86:
View Quote

Do you like The Strokes, you [red]filthy Texan[/red]?
View Quote

Oh, oh.....[:O]

An attack on one, is an attack on all.[}:D]

Yer doomed.........[xx(]

Whatsa "stroke"....[:P]
View Quote

I can't stand Texans, bring those oil-rich, slack-jawed hicks on. The Strokes are a band.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:29:24 AM EDT
Originally Posted By thedave1164:
Raven,

If this wasn't so absurd and a blatant disregard for human life, it would be laughable.

One day you will grow up and think for yourself, one day reality will come calling.

View Quote

tiresome huh?
You know what's gets old real fast?
You bashing our President in every thread you can.
You deliberately show your disrespect for our commander and Chief and then you want to be treated civilly by those of us who do respect the office and the man, take your anti American bullshit to the democratic underground or whatever other hole you crawled out of.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:34:30 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:35:08 AM EDT
Originally Posted By jrzy:
Raven,

View Quote

tiresome huh?
You deliberately show your disrespect for our commander and Chief and then you want to be treated civilly by those of us who do respect the office and the man, take your anti American bullshit to the democratic underground or whatever other hole you crawled out of.
View Quote

[lol]

I was wondering when the other half was gonna show up....
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:37:26 AM EDT
Raven,

View Quote

tiresome huh?
View Quote

[lol]

View Quote

Yeah I know you post this shit just to inflame those of us who support the President, don't you have something better to do, like look for a job?
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:40:00 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Striker:

View Quote

A. Lay off making this personal okay!
B. Get your facts straight. Kar98 isn't a Texan. He lives there. I do believe you will find out he is German.
View Quote

I'd rather be called a filthy Texan than a model German :) And although I still retain German citizenship, I do take attacks on the US personal.

Kar "Tex" 98
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:52:31 AM EDT
Raven,

View Quote

tiresome huh?
View Quote

[lol]

View Quote

Yeah I know you post this shit just to inflame those of us who support the President, don't you have something better to do, like look for a job?
View Quote

Look at the first post, I was invited to this thread, unlike you.....
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:54:09 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Striker:

View Quote

A. Lay off making this personal okay!
B. Get your facts straight. Kar98 isn't a Texan. He lives there. I do believe you will find out he is German.
View Quote

I'd rather be called a filthy Texan than a model German :) And although I still retain German citizenship, I do take attacks on the US personal.

Kar "Tex" 98
View Quote

[^]  Well said!!!

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:22:48 AM EDT
If you define "World Peace" as the lack of violence of any kind you're looking for something that has never been nor will be.

If you want to look at the figures over the last two years and see a measured decline that MIGHT be caused by the WOT(tm) then so be it. I would like to see that trend continue on for about 5 more years before calling for world peace.

On the side issue I don't think you can hide your head in the sand and hope that have-nots with NBC weapons are going to sit by and do nothing with them.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:44:56 AM EDT
View Quote

Oh so now I need your permission or an invite to post on threads?
Grow up and get a job , you will be a happier person for it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:47:24 AM EDT
Momar is giving up his WMD due to the war on terror.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 2:04:19 PM EDT
View Quote

View Quote

I feel sorry for you, your personal attacks do not make you a good american, they just show your inability to deal with the truth.

In the immortal words of Col Jessup "You can't handle the truth!"
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:09:43 PM EDT
View Quote

View Quote

I feel sorry for you, your personal attacks do not make you a good american, they just show your inability to deal with the truth.

View Quote

I take it personally when you attack our President, I also take it personally when you quote a movie Marine Col. in support of your argument when in fact I did stand a post in defense of my country and I did serve, where and when did you serve dave?

The truth according to you and some other tinfoil hat nuts is some foreign press or any other web story that condemns [b]OUR[/b] President.

I also find it strange that you show proper respect to "Col Jessup" a movie character by capitalization of his name but do not capitalize "american".

You are a disgrace to our contry, America!
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:36:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/29/2003 5:42:24 PM EDT by thedave1164]
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

I take it personally when you attack our President, I also take it personally when you quote a movie Marine Col. in support of your argument when in fact I did stand a post in defense of my country and I did serve, where and when did you serve dave?

The truth according to you and some other tinfoil hat nuts is some foreign press or any other web story that condemns [b]OUR[/b] President.

I also find it strange that you show proper respect to "Col Jessup" a movie character by capitalization of his name but do not capitalize "american".

You are a disgrace to our contry, America!
View Quote

yada, yada, yada.....

same old bs

I bet you stood up for bj clinton too.....

troll elsewheres

I served under Reagan and bush1, honorably discharged after 7+ years.

How about you?
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:13:50 PM EDT

yada, yada, yada.....

same old bs

troll elsewheres

How about you?
View Quote

How come you always duck the question of your disrespect to our President and now are showing disrespect for the country itself by the way you use "america"?

Your constant attacks on an honorable President are growing increasongly weary.
To answer your troll question , no I didn't support the scumbag gun grabbing clintoon, he was a disgrace to the office of POTUS.
Much like you who sits and complains about what GW has done wrong but fail to post any specific thing and when you do post something you offer no proof.
You are just what i said , a sad disgruntled man who blames our President for your bad fortune.
We as Americans make our own fortune and we are the masters of our own destiny because we are free men.
Stop the whining like a little girl and go out and make your own life better.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:21:24 PM EDT

yada, yada, yada.....

same old bs

troll elsewheres

How about you?
View Quote

How come you always duck the question of your disrespect to our President and now are showing disrespect for the country itself by the way you use "america"?

Your constant attacks on an honorable President are growing increasongly weary.
To answer your troll question , no I didn't support the scumbag gun grabbing clintoon, he was a disgrace to the office of POTUS.
Much like you who sits and complains about what GW has done wrong but fail to post any specific thing and when you do post something you offer no proof.
You are just what i said , a sad disgruntled man who blames our President for your bad fortune.
We as Americans make our own fortune and we are the masters of our own destiny because we are free men.
Stop the whining like a little girl and go out and make your own life better.
View Quote

You are a fraud and a hippocrite, by your own admission. A shrub groupie.

And where have I ever blamed shrub for my misfortune? If it is linked to his handling of domestic affairs, then maybe by extension, but never directly.

Go worship your anti-christ....
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:29:00 PM EDT
Top Top