Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2004 4:35:05 AM EDT
Looking for advice from the ARFcom techs.  A buddy of mine has a laptop that needs to have an assigned IP at his home account for his DSL, and but needs to get one from DHCP at work.  What's the best way to handle this?  

My suggestion was for him to get a router at home, but does anyone have a better/quicker solution?

Thanks!

Michael
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:40:29 AM EDT
[#1]
isnt there an "alternate setting under advanced network settings- will look
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:41:57 AM EDT
[#2]
unter tcp/ip settings
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:44:12 AM EDT
[#3]
They should both work under DHCP. Set the lappy for DHCP and it should work on both the DSL and the work. You may have to edit some settings every so often to change workgroup or domain name however, depending on the work LAN settings.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:53:29 AM EDT
[#4]
He should get a router at home because he needs the hardware firewall.

My laptop running XP just signs on to whatever network is available, although it always seems to look for wireless first and connect to the wireless even if plugged into a LAN.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:53:44 AM EDT
[#5]
unless you have win 98
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:24:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Agree with using a broadband router.  Enabling XP's built-in firewall feature will effectively disable his access to his office LAN servers unless he tweaks it, I for one do not like software firewalls, why have it run in the background and use up memory and CPU cycles when an inexpensive broadband router/firewall will do it more effectively?
Once the broadband router is in place, he can leave his TCP/IP setting on DHCP and never have to change it from one place to another.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:27:15 AM EDT
[#7]
unless you have win 98...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top