Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2015 4:30:02 PM EDT
Not much going on in the DIY forum, so I thought I would ask here before I run back to the store.
Anyway, my outdoor vent cover is rotted, so I am going to replace the assembly.
It looks to come out easily.
What style would you recommend?
There is a canister looking type called Deflecto Ultra Seal that some claim to keep more outside air out, any truth?
Also, the interior flex pipe is the cheap plastic style.
Thinking of getting the metal kind with the elbows.
Any comments?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:38:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the louvered style vent. Mainly because it looks clean on the outside of the house.

Metal might be a better option. A lot of homes have dryer fires. The metal type could help with containing the fire in an unfortunate event.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:46:03 PM EDT
[#2]
You get house fires from dryers by not ever cleaning out all the lint that accumulates inside the dryer and venting system. Plan on yearly cleaning of the vent line and dryer blower/housing/etc.

Keep your vent line as short as practical. Use the solid tubing as the flexible tubing has 87billion more places for lint to catch and pile up. Flexible is also much harder to clean without killing it.

As for the actual outside vent, I just have a little metal flapper thingy. Works well enough.

This is about right, though the dirty line is more than I let accumulate in a year.
   I've seen this before.  Now I have cages over all the vents (bathroom fan, dryer vent, etc.)
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:00:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You get house fires from dryers by not ever cleaning out all the lint that accumulates inside the dryer and venting system. Plan on yearly cleaning of the vent line and dryer blower/housing/etc.

Keep your vent line as short as practical. Use the solid tubing as the flexible tubing has 87billion more places for lint to catch and pile up. Flexible is also much harder to clean without killing it.

As for the actual outside vent, I just have a little metal flapper thingy. Works well enough.

http://imageprocessor.websimages.com/width/300/crop/0,0,300x193/www.chimneypronc.com/dryer-20vent.png This is about right, though the dirty line is more than I let accumulate in a year.

http://bigfishservicecompany.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/dryer-vent-bird-nest.jpg    I've seen this before.  Now I have cages over all the vents (bathroom fan, dryer vent, etc.)

View Quote

This.  Just replaced mine with solid.  The local dag shelter went up last year due to dryer vent and killed a bunch of our little buddies.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:06:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Good call on dryer vent cleaning.  I picked up a kit with three shafts and a couple brushes for cleaning out the vent.  You use a drill to power it, and it can hook up to a shop vac for collecting the lint.  I was surprised how much was in there- seemed to collect a bit around the bends, too.  House was built in '87, not sure if it was ever cleaned.

I also replaced the outside covers with the caged types after finding an attempted bird nest in there a couple years ago.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:15:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I took my shopvac, and sucked as much as I could from the inside, and then hooked my electric leaf blower to the inside and blew everything else I could out. Starting slowly at first.

Kind of messy, but it cleared a ton of old lint out.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:19:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I took my shopvac, and sucked as much as I could from the inside, and then hooked my electric leaf blower to the inside and blew everything else I could out. Starting slowly at first.

View Quote

I used a 2 stroke gas leaf blower on the inside and blew everything out, the wife wasn't happy with the smell in the house
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:21:00 PM EDT
[#7]
So is there some magic gadget that you can run down the pipe to get the fuzz out?

A leaf blower won't be it.  Mine's a little loud for use inside.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:30:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:36:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I just cleaned my vent. My dryer shutoff. I had not checked it in 18 months.
PSA for all, check your vents.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:40:31 PM EDT
[#10]
The Sparrows around here have learned approach dryer and other exhaust vents at a particular angle and activate the louvers from outside... Hence pulling the cap, and inserting either perforated steel sheet or heavy (14 gauge) mesh to prevent them from getting in...
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:06:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Good advice, you have been given it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:08:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yeah, there is a vent cleaning kit with a round brush and a 10 ft flexible handle.

Feed the handle in from the dryer junction, go grab the end outside, and pull it through.

I like the louvered doors, prevents a lot of cold backdraft when the dryer is off.

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mNacy7gxZmxujNbdBiEjP8Q.jpg
View Quote

I'm getting one of them ASAP.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:12:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Also,  keep the lint  filter on your dryer  clean.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:14:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:15:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:56:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yeah, there's a long "snake" thing that is powered by a cordless drill that is supposed to do wonders.  You have to disconnect one end and then snake it out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So is there some magic gadget that you can run down the pipe to get the fuzz out?

A leaf blower won't be it.  Mine's a little loud for use inside.  

Yeah, there's a long "snake" thing that is powered by a cordless drill that is supposed to do wonders.  You have to disconnect one end and then snake it out.

Linteater
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:57:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I like the louvered style vent. Mainly because it looks clean on the outside of the house.

Metal might be a better option. A lot of homes have dryer fires. The metal type could help with containing the fire in an unfortunate event.

View Quote

This is what my place has.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:00:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Metal piping is the only way to go, and for the love of God, don't use screws!!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:03:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:05:55 PM EDT
[#20]
after having birds make a home in our vent I put in a newer pretty much bird proof style.
old

and the new
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:28:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Metal piping is the only way to go, and for the love of God, don't use screws!!
View Quote

I could probably get the flex metal in there, but I think hardpiping it would be near impossible.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:40:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, just got it done.
Used a brown cover with a birdcage to match my trim, and hardpiped it with 2 elbows.
Hope it works well, as I am now afraid the hardpipeing will cause problems after awhile due to vibration.
I also now have a 12" gap behind the dryer and wall.
Wish I would of looked for so short 90's to get it closer, but it was kind of a bitch getting it hooked up, and I'm sure it will be a bitch when it comes to cleaning or repair.
Man, everything in this house is such a bitch to work on.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:51:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Never get the louvered vents.  They always clog since your dryer will spit out clumps of lint every now and then.  The little cross members in the outlet of the vent catch the lint clumps and clog.

I had one of these types and had to replace it.

This is what happens on a regular basis,
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:53:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I used a 2 stroke gas leaf blower on the inside and blew everything out, the wife wasn't happy with the smell in the house
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I capped the inside line and then hooked up my air compressor hose to the vent.  120psi.  Volcano of lint out the roof.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top