User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2004 10:16:28 AM EDT

One of Teddy's pals?

LI man arrested in air rage case

By Alfonso A. Castillo
Staff Writer

September 16, 2004

A spirited debate on presidential politics aboard an Alaska-bound airplane has turned into an international incident, and left a Huntington Station retiree locked up in a Canadian jail on criminal charges, authorities said yesterday.

Michael Husar, 58, was arrested Friday after allegedly having an alcohol-induced bout of air rage aboard a Northwest Airlines flight to Anchorage, which was diverted to Winnipeg, Manitoba, because of the incident.

Husar, a retired registered nurse at the Northport VA Medical Center, faces local Manitoba provincial charges of causing a disturbance and criminal mischief that caused damages over $5,000 Canadian, the latter of which is punishable by two years in prison. He also faces a less serious federal charge of violating federal aeronautics regulations.

"He's mad as hell," said Husar's Canadian attorney, John Corona, adding that Husar plans to sue the airline.

Husar boarded Flight 849 in Minneapolis on his way from New York to visit some friends in Alaska, his wife, Linda, said yesterday. Officials said Husar, a supporter of Sen. John Kerry, was engaged in a discussion on the upcoming presidential election with a woman seated next to him - a President George W. Bush supporter - when she became turned off by his belligerent attitude and complained to the flight staff.

The woman also did not like that Husar would touch her leg and shoulder when he spoke to her, authorities said. Corona said Husar had "had a few drinks."

Russell Ridd, supervising senior crown attorney for the Manitoba Justice Department, said that when flight attendants approached Husar, he became enraged, deliberately spilling a container of alcohol and engaging in "the boisterous behavior of a drunk."

Ridd said the pilot deemed the situation "a minor emergency" and called for an abrupt landing. An armed marshal sat next to Husar until the plane reached a Winnipeg airport, where Husar was kicked off and promptly arrested.

"It strikes me as a bit of an overreaction," said Corona, adding that Husar quickly calmed down on the plane after being reprimanded. "There was no threat or no violence. Certainly nobody was at risk safety-wise."

But Northwest spokesman Thomas Becher said the emergency landing was necessary. "Safety and security is our top priority," he said.

Husar posted $4,300 Canadian bail yesterday on the charges and was free to return home, on several conditions, including that he not fly or possess any alcohol. Corona said the airline is also seeking $10,000 in fuel costs from Husar.

At Husar's home yesterday, his wife said she was very concerned and upset over the incident, adding that she had only heard once from her husband, shortly after he was arrested. Linda Husar said it sounded as if he may "have had a little too much to drink," but she believed authorities overreacted. She said her husband, who worked at the VA hospital for 25 years, is a "very patriotic" Air Force veteran, who's recently been "disappointed" with President Bush. She also said Husar tends to be "animated" in conversations.

"I'm disappointed that his vacation got messed up," she said.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:20:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe they'll keep him in jail until November 3rd.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:22:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Typical liberal.  Trying to shout down all who disagree.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:22:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Gets rather "animated" - no sorry honey, theres quite a difference in being animated and an asshole.

Considering he's obviously a drunken Democrat - I'd say its the latter ala Ole' Teddy "My head is larger than Montana" Kennedy
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:23:39 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Maybe they'll keep him in jail until November 3rd.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:25:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Moron...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:27:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:28:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

At Husar's home yesterday, his wife said she was very concerned and upset over the incident, adding that she had only heard once from her husband, shortly after he was arrested. Linda Husar said it sounded as if he may "have had a little too much to drink,"

And that somehow excuses the behavior?  Hell no!

Quoted:
but she believed authorities overreacted.

Linda, there was this 'incident' called 9/11 you may have forgotten about.  Yeah, all these terrorists took over planes and many people were murdered.  Do you remember?

Quoted:
She said her husband, who worked at the VA hospital for 25 years, is a "very patriotic" Air Force veteran, who's recently been "disappointed" with President Bush.

I never would have guessed by his behavior.

Quoted:
She also said Husar tends to be "animated" in conversations.

He has to learn to be less "animated"

Quoted:

Boo-Hoo.  Actions have consequences.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:29:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Typical liberal. Can't win a discussion, so they shout their point out.

"The woman also did not like that Husar would touch her leg and shoulder when he spoke to her, authorities said. Corona said Husar had "had a few drinks."

I hope see presses charges for sexual assault!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:32:41 AM EDT
[#9]
If they're one thing I've learned about airlines it's that you treat them like a lap dance at a strip joint.  You sit on your hands and act pleasant unless you want to be tossed out by the bouncers.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:36:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Please God, get this man a camera, a microphone and an audience.
If I was Foxnews, I'd pay his bail and put him up in the Plaza, give him a few drinks...
Let him speak, by all means.

Let the rest of the country feel like the poor women seated next to him.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:38:20 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

At Husar's home yesterday, his wife said she was very concerned and upset over the incident, adding that she had only heard once from her husband, shortly after he was arrested. Linda Husar said it sounded as if he may "have had a little too much to drink,"

And that somehow excuses the behavior?  Hell no!

Quoted:
but she believed authorities overreacted.

Linda, there was this 'incident' called 9/11 you may have forgotten about.  Yeah, all these terrorists took over planes and many people were murdered.  Do you remember?

Quoted:
She said her husband, who worked at the VA hospital for 25 years, is a "very patriotic" Air Force veteran, who's recently been "disappointed" with President Bush.

I never would have guessed by his behavior.

Quoted:
She also said Husar tends to be "animated" in conversations.

He has to learn to be less "animated"

Quoted:

Boo-Hoo.  Actions have consequences.

As might hers, for her.

Wanna bet that Mr Husar beats his wife in drunken rages at home, esp. when she mouths off to the paper, further cementing his reputation as a drunken lout?

But hey- he can alway blame it on "GWB Syndrome"...e.g., "I can't help myself - the president drives me crazy - I don't know what gets into me sometimes - it's not my fault..."  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:43:54 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

By Alfonso A. Castillo
Staff Writer

September 16, 2004

Ridd said the pilot deemed the situation "a minor emergency" and called for an abrupt landing. An armed marshal sat next to Husar until the plane reached a Winnipeg airport, where Husar was kicked off and promptly arrested.

"It strikes me as a bit of an overreaction," said Corona, adding that Husar quickly calmed down on the plane after being reprimanded. "There was no threat or no violence. Certainly nobody was at risk safety-wise."

He calmed down?  Then what's the problem?  Y'all are just mean.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:50:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Cutty Sark
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:59:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If they're one thing I've learned about airlines it's that you treat them like a lap dance at a strip joint.  You sit on your hands and act pleasant unless you want to be tossed out by the bouncers.

That first step is a biotch!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:32:19 PM EDT
[#15]
$10,000 for fuel. HEHEHE
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:48:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
$10,000 for fuel. HEHEHE

I know - I hope they really make him pay it.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:55:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't see why they still serve alcohol on airlines.  Ok, maybe one drink, because it can settle people down.  But someone once told me, there are funny drunks and mean drunks.  Apparently this guy is the latter.

I say, limit alcohol on planes to one drink!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:02:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I don't see why they still serve alcohol on airlines.  Ok, maybe one drink, because it can settle people down.  But someone once told me, there are funny drunks and mean drunks.  Apparently this guy is the latter.

I say, limit alcohol on planes to one drink!

Alcohol and airplanes, like alcohol and guns, do NOT go together. Period.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:08:11 PM EDT
[#19]
If he is convicted of a felony, no vote for him.  I hope he gets a speedy trial.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:18:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
If he is convicted of a felony, no vote for him.  I hope he gets a speedy trial.  

Also blows his chance at buying that full-atuo AK, that he always wanted!

Let's see how "animated" he's going to be with his new cellmate, Bubba.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top