Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2011 3:28:10 PM EDT
I went to change the brake shoes on the rear of my Dad's 2004 Honda Accord.  I thought the outer drum would just slide off, but it doesn't.  There are 2 holes in the drum that are threaded.  I found a forum online for Honda Civics that says you take 2 bolts and thread them into the holes to back the outer drum off.  Has anybody ever heard of this or done it? It just sounds strange to me.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:30:26 PM EDT
[#1]
That is what the threaded holes a for. Usually a 6mm thread bolt about 30mm long will do it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:31:20 PM EDT
[#2]
You may have to back off the adjuster a few turns to "release" the shoe, as they sometimes wear a groove inside the drum.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:31:36 PM EDT
[#3]
It is to help you brake the drum loose from the rust between it and the hub. The drum isnt pressed in place or anything like that. Screw the bolts in and give them a 1/2 turn past finger tight, tap drum with hammer, 1/2 turn and hit with hammer, repeat till the drum brakes loose from the hub.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:32:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I haven't worked on Honda's brakes but I have worked on Dodge drum brakes.  There is usually an adjust that spreads the break pads apart and holds them there.  On a Dodge there is an access port on the back side of the drum.  It takes 2 screw drivers or a break drum wrench.  One part pushes the adjuster lever out of the way and the other turns the adjuster.  This loosens up the pad and the drum comes off.

I have no idea if foreign cars are the same though.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:34:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, screwing bolts into those holes will push the drum off, but you need to make sure the parking brake is off first.

And you can back off a few clicks on the adjuster if the drum still won't move.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:35:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Also be aware that drums wear such that there is a ridge around the inside of the drum that the shoe sets down into ~making it difficult to remove the drum.  Usually there is an adjusting wheel that can be used to back the shoes off.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:36:55 PM EDT
[#7]
also, make sure you don't have the parking brake engaged when you're trying to remove the drum.  that needs to be disengaged.  chock the front wheels if you've got it on jacks.  parking brake actuates the rears on most cars.  

-tom
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:37:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Give it a couple of whacks with a hammer.

Seriously.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 4:32:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate the help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top