Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2004 8:47:48 PM EDT
I have Asked Jeeves and looked at How Stuff Works and Googled but can't find a good picture or detailed drawing on how a drum magazine feeds the ammo into the magazine well.  I understand the rotational action and the "watch spring" effect to rotate the internal assembly but that 90 degree turn into the mag well baffels me.

I am toying with the idea of making my own drum mag for a project and it will most liklet resemble the AK type magazine instead of the dual drum AR/M16 type.  I might just try adapting an AK drum if all else fails.  Buying one is something anyone can do.  I want to make my own for the satisfaction of it.

I say I alot don't I?
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:57:37 PM EDT
[#1]
How do you mean?

Take a piece of paper and roll it up. Now take the exposed edge and pull it out...that's how it feeds.

I'm at a total loss as to what exactily you mean..
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:00:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Little tiny elves.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:11:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
How do you mean?

Take a piece of paper and roll it up. Now take the exposed edge and pull it out...that's how it feeds.

I'm at a total loss as to what exactily you mean..

The ammo has to make a 90 degree turn to get to the magazine well area of the drum so that it can be fed into the chamber.  If it didn't it would just go round and round untill the spring unwound.  Something has to direct it upwards from the round part of the drum into the part that sticks in the magazine well of the firearm.

I hope that makes it a little bit more clear.  Dang, this is frustrating.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:11:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I get what you mean and have seen an AK drum mag opened up but never an AR dual drum so I have no clue.  I have ideas though.  Ask someone to post a pic of one opened up in the magazines section of the AR forum.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:14:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Someone has a pic of a clear BETA C posted on the site. Don't remember which thread though. (I know, I'm alot of help.)
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:17:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The ammo has to make a 90 degree turn to get to the magazine well area of the drum so that it can be fed into the chamber.  If it didn't it would just go round and round untill the spring unwound.  Something has to direct it upwards from the round part of the drum into the part that sticks in the magazine well of the firearm.

? I've lifted the back cover off my Romy 75 round AK drums...90 degree? Not quite...even so, all it used was a simple piece of metal, curved, to guide rounds up. It's not rocket science or brain surgery.

I guess there's a fundamental bit I'm missing
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:26:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Little tiny elves.

nope, underwear knomes
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:36:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

? I've lifted the back cover off my Romy 75 round AK drums...90 degree? Not quite...even so, all it used was a simple piece of metal, curved, to guide rounds up. It's not rocket science or brain surgery.

I guess there's a fundamental bit I'm missing

Is it something like a chute that guides the outside layer of ammunition upwards.  Then the next layer feeds and so on?  If so then what forces the ammo outwards toward the outside edge of the can so the "chute' can direct it upwards?

BTW, thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:43:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm pretty sure it works just like a regular magazine. Picture a really long magazine and bend it sideways until it's circular, now bend the end up so it goes into the magwell, now use a rotary spring to drive the follower.

It's not like the whole drum is packed full of rounds.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:47:28 PM EDT
[#10]
The secret isnt the Polish elves - they help - but ultimately it is the swedish albino gerbils in the cage who spins the mag fast enough to cause it to feed properly. No - I'm serious
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:48:24 PM EDT
[#11]
The drum pictures that I saw had ammo stacked three and four layers deep.  What makes them funnel down to single or double stack?  Something like a chute/diverter/guide?  If so I'd like to see a picture of it and whatever makes the ammo go outwards from the center.  Or maybe a discription that would make my dumbass understand.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:48:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Found these on the mag forum, hope it helps:

Not too complex...
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:58:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Many thanks Cato556!  That is basicly a double stack mag that goes straight up into the mag well. I can comprehend how that works. The AK type drum however is centered under the magwell and has to kind of go around a corner to get into the magwell and is triple or quadruple stacked.  Maybe this project is too much to bother with.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:02:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I think you should buy an AK drum to use as a guide for creating your AR drum and then buy an AK to go with the AK drum.

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 12:46:50 AM EDT
[#15]
From what I remember, there is a spiral groove that guides the rounds while they are in the middle of the magazine.  Eventually they get to the outside of the spiral, hit a guide ramp, and go up in a single stack (not a double stack).  I've only closely looked at one drum magazine, however, and there are probably many different methods.

I would suggest doing a search on the USPTO.gov website for drum magazines.  Patents are a very useful source of information when trying to figure out how things work -- and if the patent is over 20 years old (since filing), you can copy it directly.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 1:44:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:36:10 AM EDT
[#17]
I think I get it now.  Thanks to all who had patience with me on this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top