Posted:

Jul 30, 2009 11:58 AM EDT

Featured Videos

• Teen shot & killed breaking into home

• Deadly Shooting in Kevil

by Zakk Gammon -

KEVIL,
KY (KFVS) - A man was shot and killed in McCracken County after police
say he tried to break into a family's home around 2:00 a.m.

The
family woke to the sound of the alarm system, indicating the door to
the attached garage had been opened.  The homeowner went outside to
investigate, when he heard his wife inside screaming.

He
ran back into the home where his wife told him the intruder, later
identified as 18-year-old Andrew Caleb Barnett, was inside their
attached garage attempting to get into the home through a wooden door
with a window, according to police. The homeowner reportedly yelled
several times that he had a gun, telling Barnett not to come inside.
However, Barnett continued to make advances toward the man. Police say
the homeowner fired one shot at Barnett, hitting him in the arm, and
going into his chest area. Barnett apparently fell to the floor but got
back up fighting the homeowner, at one point, biting him in the arm.

The
fight continued through the home and eventually back into the garage.
When police arrived they arrested Barnett and transported him to
Western Baptist Hospital for the gunshot, but he ultimately died.

The
McCracken County Police Department reports the 18-year-old was under
the influence of Psilocybin Mushrooms
, or "Magic Mushrooms" as they're
called on the street, and thought he was inside his own home. At one
point, he even called the homeowner "Dad".

Police
located four people who apparently provided the drugs to Barnett and
arrested them. They were identified as 19-year-old Taylor Thompson of
West Paducah, 19-year-old Zachary Rodgers of Kevil, 18-year-old Ryan
Bridges of West Paducah and 18-year-old Kristen Mohler of Kevil.

Additional charges are possible as the investigation continues. Charges against the homeowner are not expected.

©2009 KFVS. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 9:31:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Drugs are bad.... MMKAYYY.....

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 9:32:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 9:34:45 PM EDT
[#3]
If Shrooms were legal, this never would have happened. I think. That's what everybody says. I don't get it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:00:37 PM EDT
[#4]
A similar incident happened in Colorado not too long ago. Really drunk guy tries to get in wrong house. Starts yelling when his key dosent work. Homeowner gets pistol. Drunk breaks window to crawl through, homeowner shoots him. Homeowner protected by the make my day law.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:15:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A similar incident happened in Colorado not too long ago. Really drunk guy tries to get in wrong house. Starts yelling when his key dosent work. Homeowner gets pistol. Drunk breaks window to crawl through, homeowner shoots him. Homeowner protected by the make my day law.

I am totally ok with that.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:17:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:18:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Who does shrooms by themselves?
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 3:24:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Have not heard that in years.....

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 3:26:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Sucks for him.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 3:52:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 3:55:40 AM EDT
[#11]
what else is new?  we know and live this.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 3:57:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Life's hard.  It's even harder when you're stupid.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:00:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sucks for him.

Sucks for everybody involved.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:01:18 AM EDT
[#14]
But he was just a miss understood druggie who wanted a peaceful glass of water.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:04:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sucks for him.

Sucks for everybody involved.

Yep.  I don't fault the guy for shooting as he certainly didn't know the back story.  But it sucks as the kid was just being an idiot, not a dangerous one.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:04:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Dying patient:  "Please doctor, it hurts sooooo bad!"

Detective:  "Doctor, he doesn't get that morphine until we get the names of those degenerates that sold him that evil drug!"

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:10:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Drugs are bad.... MMKAYYY.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/gmtmaster/49a.gif

Now you've done it.  Stand by for all the tweakers to pile on.  "Everyone I've ever known smokes all day every day and they're all millionaire captains of industry.........."
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:15:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:20:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It was an older woman in the Springs, shot the guy thru the front door, one shot DRT..  No charges filed by DA.

Eta:  Sorry, forgot the one up North, same situation, wrong house, bam!  My baybay di'n't do nuffin', we need to change the law.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:26:40 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Thefamily woke to the sound of the alarm system, indicating the door tothe attached garage had been opened. The homeowner went outside toinvestigate, when he heard his wife inside screaming.

This article has the potential to be a good example of why you hunker down and protect your family, rather than trying to sneaky pete around.

Oh yeah:   Good Shoot

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:13:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If Shrooms were legal, this never would have happened. I think. That's what everybody says. I don't get it.

Nobody ever went to the wrong house while drunk either.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:16:47 AM EDT
[#22]
darn
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:18:26 AM EDT
[#23]
So how many rounds from my G17 would it take to drop a dude bombed out of his skull breaking into my house?
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:18:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nobody ever went to the wrong house while drunk either.

Say it ain't so...
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:18:35 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

They aren't legal and it happened, now what?

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:21:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Intoxicated people tend to do some stupid things.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/201127
Botetourt home intruder likely drunk, police say
Botetourt County officials said the homeowner would not face charges.

By Amanda Codispoti
 981-3334
Audio: 911 call of shooting

Click the play button to hear the 911 call made by Jody Hoover, in which he can be heard shooting Jerry Lee Jones Jr in what the Botetourt County Commonwealth's Attorney Joel Branscom determined was a justifiable homicide.

Editor's note: This audio represents close to 13 minutes of conversation between Hoover, his wife and a 911 dispatcher. Hoover hands the phone to his wife while he retrieves his gun.

Other voices heard include those of Jerry Lee Jones Jr, and radio traffic from deputies being sent to the scene. The dispatcher can also be heard relaying information to deputies.

Portions of the recording, including long stretches of silence or inactivity, have been edited out.

The sister of a man who was fatally shot after breaking into a Botetourt County home said Tuesday that she believes her brother was drunk and confused about where he was.

Jerry Lee Jones Jr.'s blood-alcohol content was more than four times the legal limit for driving when he died, Botetourt County Sheriff Ronnie Sprinkle said Tuesday.

Jody Hoover, 46, shot and killed the 35-year-old Jones after Jones broke into the Hoover family's house in the Nace area of the county Friday night.

Commonwealth's Attorney Joel Branscom and the sheriff's office reviewed the evidence, including the recording of a 911 call made by Hoover, and decided not to charge the homeowner, according to a news release from the sheriff's office.

Authorities didn't release the men's names until Tuesday because Jones' identity had to be confirmed through fingerprints and Hoover was still under investigation, Branscom said.

Jones' sister, Margaret Jones, said he had been depressed and was drinking because Friday was their late father's birthday.

Jones was in a vehicle with a friend, Joe Harper, but when Jones became violent, the friend dropped him off near the Hoover home, the news release said.

Harper lived in the area, and Margaret Jones said she believes her brother thought he was at Harper's house when he was banging on the Hoovers' door.

"I'm sorry for the family, but I don't think he went there to hurt them," she said. "He couldn't have known what he was doing."

In the 911 recording, Jody Hoover calls the sheriff's office and tells a dispatcher that there is a "strange man outside our home, and he's hollerin' and he's crying out. I don't know what's going on with him."

Hoover hands the phone to his wife while he gets his double-barreled, 12-gauge shotgun.

Jones can be heard yelling and repeatedly banging on the back sliding glass door.

Hoover's wife tells the dispatcher that the man is talking about Vietnam and 1969, and that he asked Jody Hoover for the date.

Hoover talks to the man from inside. "I don't want to hurt you," he says. "I can't let you in.

"Please, just go away. Please."

About seven and a half minutes after Hoover calls 911, Jones shatters the glass door with a wrought-iron chair and tries to come in.

Hoover told authorities that he shot at Jones twice. Deputies arrived at the house as the shots were fired. Jones was pronounced dead at Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital.

Jones lived about two miles from the Hoovers but did not know them, Sprinkle said.

In 2005, Jones was found guilty in Botetourt County of brandishing a firearm and in 1999 and 2000 he was found guilty in Roanoke County of driving under the influence.

Hoover's mother-in-law and two sons were also at the house.

News researcher Belinda Harris contributed to this report.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:22:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So how many rounds from my G17 would it take to drop a dude bombed out of his skull breaking into my house?

I guess it would depend on where those rounds ended up.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:24:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thefamily woke to the sound of the alarm system, indicating the door tothe attached garage had been opened. The homeowner went outside toinvestigate, when he heard his wife inside screaming.

This article has the potential to be a good example of why you hunker down and protect your family, rather than trying to sneaky pete around.

Oh yeah:   Good Shoot

I wouldn't hear a scream, I would have heard a boom.  Damn people teach your wife how to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:27:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Very zombie-like attack
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:28:12 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess that was more of a rhetorical question.    I hope that I never have to find out.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:28:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess that was more of a rhetorical question.    I hope that I never have to find out.

Yeah I figured, I guess (still haven't got enough coffee in me)
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:29:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
But he was just a miss understood druggie who wanted a peaceful glass of water.

He wuz jes 'bout ta turn his lahf around!

He a good boy

He di nt do nuffin

Dey di nt have ta shoot him

He wuz an aspiring rap artist.

Insert your comment here:___________________________.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:29:49 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

/thread

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:30:47 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

No, doing stupid shit has always been illegal, that would not change.

What we say is that all of your intrusive and immoral laws have only served to prop up the income of criminals without abating the proliferation of drugs.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:53:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, doing stupid shit has always been illegal, that would not change.

What we say is that all of your intrusive and immoral laws have only served to prop up the income of criminals without abating the proliferation of drugs.

I'm with you guys on legalization of some drugs. God knows the current plans/laws are not working very well. Add the issues with organized crime setting up shop and doing something the states may as well get in on, legalize,  and make a few bucks, and maybe even save a few lives, and who knows, in a perfect world,  most of us who are mature enough will not go insane once drugs are legal, and abuse the shit out of them.

My issue is with  Heroin and watching its devastating effects on my small city. In a perfect world, individuals could be trusted to take whatever they want, and have a great time, and that would be the end of it. I just don't have as much faith as you guys do, on how certain people will act when the gates are opened and we finally legalize this stuff.  We've tired everything else and its not working that great. Pretty soon I think we are going to be forced to take that next step. I also understand, for some people, its a matter of individual rights. I get that too. I think we all should have the right to have Class III weapons, but, that doesn't mean everybody is mature enough to be trusted in their possession/use of such items. Where do we draw the line?  

I fully agree with the statement   "No, doing stupid shit has always been illegal, that would not change."   If we could somehow tax silliness and stupidity, we would all be rich.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:57:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Darwin claims another.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:01:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Darwin claims another.

+1

''...he was just about to start college...[as the mom sobs and sobs....oh the pity NOT]..."
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:01:40 AM EDT
[#38]
When drugs are legalized:

drug users become smart
lazy drug users become hard working
dishonest drug users become honest
drug dealers turn their backs on illegal actions, and
drugs stop creating problems that other people are left to clean up

Yup, legalization is the answer...obviously.

This is a sad event.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:05:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Stupid hurts. In this case, for just an instant.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top