Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/15/2005 5:13:40 PM EDT

drudgereport.com/flash3.htm

MASSACHUSETTS MAY REQUIRE MENTAL SCREENINGS FOR RETURNING SOLDIERS
Mon Aug 15 2005 20:40:50 ET

Massachusetts officials are considering mandatory mental health screenings for National Guardsmen returning from Iraq, the BOSTON GLOBE is reporting on Tuesday.

Mandatory mental-health screening nationwide currently applies only to full-service soldiers and usually involves only answering a questionnaire.

The key concern is post-traumatic stress disorder, which occurs following the witnessing of a life-threatening experience such as military combat. Symptoms include nightmares, flashbacks, depression and estrangement.

Post-traumatic stress disorder, as the condition is commonly known, is one of the theories being weighed in the case of Daniel Cotnoir, the 33-year-old Marine sergeant charged with attempted murder in Lawrence for firing a shotgun into a crowd of raucous partiers outside his home early Saturday.

Developing...
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:18:01 PM EDT
I would suggest mental screening all of the Mass. politicians first.

Scott
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:20:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bullitt3401:
I would suggest mental screening all of the Mass. politicians first.

Scott

Never happen since one has already killed before.
I doubt that they could do that legally anyways even if they wanted to.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:20:45 PM EDT
Kennedy and Kerry would be proud
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:24:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By LANCEMAN:

I bet these 2 guys won't pass a mental health screening.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:27:34 PM EDT
Manditory won't work. Maybe they should offer free mental healthcare instead.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:50:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2005 5:50:27 PM EDT by MTUSA]
It sickens me to no end that the Left continues the dangerous trend of treating
our enlisted folks like fooking garbage. No wonder enlistment is down.
Freakin' assholes.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:52:06 PM EDT
I dont think it would be a bad thing if it was voluntary. Some of those guys might want help but not know how to get it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:31:02 PM EDT
In many Indian societies there were community ceremonies for returning warriors.

It's not the warriors who are sick for the hardships and horror that they had to endure.

It is the tribe who must come to grips for sending their young men to war and suffer the anguish.

They must know that we asked them to serve and they did, knowing it was going to be hard.

As long as the society welcomes them back with a "Thank you for your service" they will be ok.

I have a son that just went in. He will know when he comes home that he did exactly as the
tribe asked of him. We had a long talk on this very subject.

GM

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:33:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By captainpooby:
I dont think it would be a bad thing if it was voluntary. Some of those guys might want help but not know how to get it.

I tend to agree...there may be some soldiers that could benefit from it, but making it mandatory is wrong.

Offer it-don't demand it.

HH

...ps Could someone please cut out Mass. and let it float out to sea?

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:37:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By HoustonHusker:

I tend to agree...there may be some soldiers that could benefit from it, but making it mandatory is wrong.

HH

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:44:25 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:46:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PlaymoreMinds:

HH

...AFTER we get the good guys out!

HH
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:48:14 PM EDT

HH

I think they're already out... they went to Iraq for a more sane environment.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:54:30 PM EDT
It's a good idea.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:57:43 PM EDT
I definitely think we'll have a problem in the near future. But that is to be expected. We have a lot of young folks who have been killing people wholesale for the past 2 years, and at the same time, have been watching their buddies get blown into bone fragments. I bet we'll see an uptick in murders in this country as some of thee folks will have no problems ending arguments or other situations with gunfire. In fact, there have already been a few instances. Granted, some of these folks were a little off to start with, but the experiences have been enough to push them over the edge. At one area I worked at in Iraq, I was told there was a Marine Reservist who had killed 8 or 9 people in one day!!! That's got to have some efect on the guy.

And yes-it is the village's responsibility to help the warriors who return.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:58:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2005 6:58:37 PM EDT by MachinegunManiac]
They treat the soldiers like shit!

I'm sure these soldiers would like to go home after their ideal without being treated like lunatics. How disrespectful! Why not offer FREE mental healthcare to these guys to volunteer for if they feel they need it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:16:01 PM EDT
I wish Massachussetts would require Mental Exams for Returning US Senators...

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:45:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By pieceofstink:
I definitely think we'll have a problem in the near future. But that is to be expected. We have a lot of young folks who have been killing people wholesale for the past 2 years...I bet we'll see an uptick in murders in this country as some of thee folks will have no problems ending arguments or other situations with gunfire....Granted, some of these folks were a little off to start with...

Go back to your hole.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:45:53 PM EDT
Thats wrong in many, many ways.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:00:19 PM EDT

At one area I worked at in Iraq, I was told there was a Marine Reservist who had killed 8 or 9 people in one day!!!
Ya don't say? Lemme see if I have this straight...
The guy's a Marine, in a combat zone, and he actually...KILLED people? I call BS.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:01:52 PM EDT
I fear you more than any returning service men

GM

I definitely think we'll have a problem in the near future. But that is to be expected. We have a lot of young folks who have been killing people wholesale for the past 2 years, and at the same time, have been watching their buddies get blown into bone fragments. I bet we'll see an uptick in murders in this country as some of thee folks will have no problems ending arguments or other situations with gunfire. In fact, there have already been a few instances. Granted, some of these folks were a little off to start with, but the experiences have been enough to push them over the edge. At one area I worked at in Iraq, I was told there was a Marine Reservist who had killed 8 or 9 people in one day!!! That's got to have some efect on the guy.

And yes-it is the village's responsibility to help the warriors who return.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:04:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DigDug:
You know, this would make a great Star Trek:TNG episode...

You said your self Prime Minister, this is not our affair.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:10:06 PM EDT

Who really want's to reread your drivil in a quote?

You live up to your screen name...

DU is not at this IP.......
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:12:48 PM EDT
I got back home for the second time in Feb. of this year. Both times I went to come home we were given a mental heath class, then a questionnaire, and then seen by a mental health professional. This was mandatory. We could not board the plane unless we had our questionnaire signed by a medical officer. Course I was in the USMC... YMMV

I'm not so sure if these questionnaires can accurately predict PTSD or depression that could occur later in life. It seems to be more of a short term screening.

Smalls
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:32:14 PM EDT
Worst part about it is, that many of them will end up in the ranks of police departments, hired under civil service preferences and will be policing you, me and our children.

There isn't enough money in the healthcare system to give flu shots let alone thoroughly screen thousands of returning soldiers for mental defects caused by wartime experiences.

Suck it up.......some people can't handle the shit they see and do in war. Its the price we pay. Better one guy here and there snap than having all those he killed in war be around to haunt us for their entire life.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:32:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By warlord:

Originally Posted By LANCEMAN:

I bet these 2 guys won't pass a mental health screening.

No way in hell they could pass a morality screening.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:15:14 AM EDT

Massachusetts officials are considering mandatory mental health screenings for National Guardsmen returning from Iraq, the BOSTON GLOBE is reporting on Tuesday.
If MA won't take 'em, then come on down to Texas! We've got plenty of jobs and we don't have a state income tax.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:24:48 AM EDT

HH

HH

<--------good GAL
And I'll take a bungalow in Texas...San Antonio or Corpus please.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:26:16 AM EDT

HH

HH

<--------good GAL

After you all are done evacuating the good people out of Mass, can you do an evacuation out of Illinois, thanks!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:41:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Airwolf:

Mandatory mental-health screening nationwide currently applies only to full-service soldiers and usually involves only answering a questionnaire.

Extending to NG what the AD guys already get.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:53:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By deej86:

HH

HH

<--------good GAL

After you all are done evacuating the good people out of Mass, can you do an evacuation out of Illinois, thanks!

...now THAT'S gonna take some doin', deej!

HH
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:59:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By tc556guy:

Originally Posted By Airwolf:

Extending to NG what the AD guys already get.

Under what authority does the state plan on doing this? I can't imagine anyone short of the military department or possibly the govenor could order that. On second thought the troops would be on federal orders so unless the state decides to order everyone to stay on state duty then even the govenor wouldn't be able to do anything.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:08:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

Under what authority does the state plan on doing this? I can't imagine anyone short of the military department or possibly the govenor could order that. On second thought the troops would be on federal orders so unless the state decides to order everyone to stay on state duty then even the govenor wouldn't be able to do anything.

Title 10 orders run out at some point and then the Guv or whomever can do what they think is needed. Given the well-documented problem a per centage of returning Soldiers from any conflict have with mental health issues, it doesn't take much effort to justify the need for some sort of psych counseling/ eval.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:13:15 AM EDT
Anyone remember that episode of Star Trek: TNG where some planet created a race of super-soldiers, sent them off to do their dirty work, then treated them like near-prisoners on their return?

I hate that fucking state.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:36:01 PM EDT
Top Top