Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2006 11:44:20 AM EDT
Anybody have these on their truck.  I am going to get a set for the brush guard I just bought.  How hard are they to install and what kind did you get?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:54:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I got the Baja $20 lights from Wal Mart and put them on my brush guard. They seem to work just fine.

Not to difficult.  I have the wires wrapped around the brush guard then black duct taped so as to not be visible.  Then the wire goes up under the hood, back to the passenger door, tucked around under the dash to the center console and plugged into the Aux cigarette lighter. Then through the dash to a switch I installed on the dash.

The only visible/ugly part is the part wrapped around the passenger door, but you can only see that when the door is open.

Check local laws.  I found out I am not legal in VA. I have fog lights that came with the truck. Meaning with my driving lights fog lights and headlights I have 6 lights running and that is illegal.  So when I got inspected I had to put the covers on the driving lights.

And for those wondering what I need 6 lights for.  I angled he driving lights way out to the sides, so when driving on country roads, I can see the deer.

Only pic I have is not exactly the best.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:54:25 AM EDT
[#2]
More info....

kind of truck?  What brand lights?

For the most part the wiring is explained.  Some will come with plugs on the harness for the relay.

if you kit doesn't come with a relay then change the harness and use one.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:03:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

And for those wondering what I need 6 lights for.  I angled he driving lights way out to the sides, so when driving on country roads, I can see POACH the deer.

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:04:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got IPF which are fairly nice but I have a buddy with a $X$ shop, oops I mean 4X4 shop (so I got a deal), and plus I take my rig to Moab which can really put gear through its paces.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:19:13 PM EDT
[#5]
01 Nissan Frontier. Just looking for some cheaper ones.  I was thinking of 6" round lights made by Eagle Eye, they are $44 for two online.  We don't have inspections here, I already have factory headlights and driving lights, I just thought what the hell two more lights would only brighton it up.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:27:44 PM EDT
[#6]
You get what you pay for.

The cheap wall mart lights will work, but a good set of Hella's or IPF's will put them to shame.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:31:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And for those wondering what I need 6 lights for.  I angled he driving lights way out to the sides, so when driving on country roads, I can see POACH the deer.

Poach
Grilled
Fried
Made into stew or chili.

I like them all.  But I can't cook them with the lights.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:40:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I have 3 of these...

Work AWESOME

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:43:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had KC's on my '88 Wrangler for 10 years now. They go through mud and tons of water and still look brand-new and are bright as hell.

www.quadratec.com/products/97026_93.htm

They are worth the money and will outlast the rest. All steel construction and stainless steel to maintain that new look for decades. I had Hella's, but a Pine Tree branch broke them.
Then I bought the KC's and regretted ever buying the Hella's.

Pepboys should have them in stock for cheaper than the link I provided.

These lights will instantly dissuade the most stubborn hi-beam using drivers on the road.
KC's warranty will not be beat!

HS1

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:57:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a set of Pro Comp 8" 120 watt ones. Work great. Here is how I installed them.

Power from the battery to a relay near the lights. From the relay to the lights. This gets more power to the lights since you don't have such a long run.

To control the relay I tapped off the high beam hot wire. This goes to a switch in the cab then to the relay.

To get the fog lights on I need to have my high beams on and the fog light switch on. The nice thing is I can turn the high beams and fogs on and off with the stock high beam switch. Makes it real easy when traffic comes the other way.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:01:51 PM EDT
[#11]
In the past I have used KC daylighters.  I get the 185000 candlepower version with Halogen bulbs, not sealed beam.  You can crack a lens and they will still light.  KC has a 99 year warranty, and they stand behind it 100%, no questions.  I had some rust and loose rivets (I abused them a bit) and they replaced all 4 of them.  Even though there are bigger, brighter, and more expensive lights out there, these light up the night.  

However, these are not driving lights and are, by no means, street legal.  Many suggested above are not, either.  They tend to light up the bone structure in people's heads when used on the street.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top