BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2005 11:42:33 AM EDT
Has anyone used this on Win98?
What does it do?
Does it help?
Is it undoable?
I have a computer with 4 gig hd and it was don to less than 100mb of free space.
Yesterday I cleaned it up some and got it up to a little over 400mb.
I am going to remove a few more programs and then some music and I should be up to 1.2 or so gigs of free space.
At that point I am considering using the drivespace3 thing in Win98 to see if it will help.
hanks for the help.

TrojanFan
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:47:29 AM EDT
[#1]
i'd wouldn't do it.  i would save your money towards a newer computer.  win 98 should haved been canned a long time ago!

it will take a long to to compress the data.  and will only slow the computer down more
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:48:37 AM EDT
[#2]
GET A BIGGER HARDDRIVE!!! They are super cheap! I do not recommend Drivespace compared to the price of hard drives today.

btw, I am a professional.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:12:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Has anyone used this on Win98?
Yes, I have.
What does it do?
It compresses and uncompresses your files on the fly.
Does it help?
That depends.  See below.
Is it undoable?
Yes
I have a computer with 4 gig hd and it was don to less than 100mb of free space.
Yesterday I cleaned it up some and got it up to a little over 400mb.
I am going to remove a few more programs and then some music and I should be up to 1.2 or so gigs of free space.
At that point I am considering using the drivespace3 thing in Win98 to see if it will help.
hanks for the help.

TrojanFan

I would say that it only helps if you have a really small HD.  With the price of HD's now, you would be better off picking up a cheap 60-100 Gig. HD.  If you decide to give it a try, you will have to free up alot of HD space before you compress the drive.  That's because at some point both your compress and uncompressed data will be on the drive at the same time.  You will also take a performance hit as well. Every time you access your data, your PC will have to compress or uncompress it.  That will slow your computer down.  Just do what ByteTheBullet suggest, "GET A BIGGER HARDDRIVE!!!"  I hope I've answered your questions.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:19:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Hard drives are DIRT CHEAP.

Buy a new one.    Don't bog down your processor
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:24:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey, Hi from a diehard win98 user -- Until about a month ago   .

You really do need to just break down and get a new drive, 98 will run up to 120G, and you can get one for about $75 or so if you shop around.  Check the sales page at outpost.com.

You will get more than space for your money;  The drive will spin @ 7500rpm or so, and will have a bigger cache,  so your machine will just work alot better.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:25:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

You really do need to just break down and get a new drive, 98 will run up to 120G, and you can get one for about $75 or so if you shop around.  Check the sales page at outpost.com.

You will get more than space for your money; The drive will spin @ 7500rpm or so, and will have a bigger cache,  so your machine will just work alot better.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:05:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You will get more than space for your money; The drive will spin @ 7500rpm or so, and will have a bigger cache,  so your machine will just work alot better.

That just means that the maximum size harddrive W98 can recognized is 120G.  You can still use a larger drive, but you will have to partition it to smaller logical drives.  240G = 2 120G logical drives in W98.

The faster the drive spins then the less time is spent waiting for you data to reach the read/write heads of your drive.  The cache is just some solid state memory on your HD that your data is preloaded from the drive.  Solid state memory is at least an order of magnitude faster the any HD memory.  That means that your PC will spend less time getting the data from the cache rather than the HD.  So you PC runs faster.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:24:14 PM EDT
[#8]
1.    who in their right mind would install a 120gb drive and installed windows 98SE.  that is just ridiculous..
the age of his computer most likely it won't even identify a 60GB harddrive anyways, and your average joe isn't going to know how to setup the drive to work in 98SE even if it did see a 120Gb

2.    there is no such thing as a 7500RPM harddrive.   4200, 5400, 7200, 10k,  15k..

i was just try to bring it to his attention so he could correct himself that is all  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:44:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Ohhhh, Ok!  

Vulcan94
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top