Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/29/2001 11:03:12 PM EDT
This makes me sick. This woman was taunted because these inconsiderate fucking assholes didn't want to be stuck in traffic!
[url]http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/americas/newsid_1514000/1514527.stm[/url]
Seattle's image as a civilised city has taken a blow after rush-hour motorists shouted at a woman to hurry up her suicide jump so traffic could clear.

The unnamed woman caused three hours of traffic hell after threatening to jump off a 50-metre (160-foot) high road bridge over Seattle's Ship Canal.
We had motorists, truckers, people in a Metro bus, screaming at her to jump

Assistant police chief John Diaz

Police trying to talk her down had to shut one side of the bridge after drivers crawling past the scene started offering suggestions.

"We had motorists, truckers, people in a Metro bus, screaming at her to jump," assistant police chief John Diaz said.

'Just do it'

A police spokesman said that while officers were trying to talk the woman down, motorists were shouting things like "just do it" and "get it over with".

Despite coaxing from police negotiators, the woman carried out her threat and jumped.

Traffic gridlock is a mounting problem

Police divers said she hit the water backside first and probably hit the bottom too since the water is only 4.5 metres (15 feet) deep.

She was rushed to a local hospital, where her chest and abdominal injuries were described as critical.

Police spokesman Clem Benton told Reuters news agency: "Obviously when you have an individual in some type of crisis, yelling for her to jump is very insensitive to that person's life".
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 11:13:51 PM EDT
[#1]
WHAAAH!
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 11:43:34 PM EDT
[#2]
hey its her life, if she wants to throw it off a bridge its her choice. she could have at least had the courtesy to "end it all" in the privacy of her own home, instead of trying to interfere in the lives of others.

but then i did read somewhere that the majority of the people that go public to off themselvs just want attention and never really plan on doing it anyway. so the crowd shouting at her most likely had everything to do with it. pretty sad when a person needs to gain public support in order to follow through with what i consider the all time dumbest decsion possible.

the good part is that maybe some poor kid needing a liver will benefit.
dang typos
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 11:53:37 PM EDT
[#3]
In Washington it is illegal to assist in a suicide.  

Our accountant who was stuck in the traffic during the incident says that racial slurs were being shouted by drivers.  So this could also be a hate crime.  

shadows
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 11:56:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
hey its her life, if she wants to throw it off a bridge its her choice. she could have at least had the courtesy to "end it all" in the privacy of her own home, instead of trying to interfere in the lives of others.

but then i did read somewhere that the majority of the people that go public to off themselvs just want attention and never really plan on doing it anyway. so the crowd shouting at her most likely had everything to do with it. pretty sad when a person needs to gain public support in order to follow through with what i consider the all time dumbest decsion possible.

the good part is that maybe some poor kid needing a liver will benefit.
dang typos
View Quote

Actually, her internal organs won't be of much use to anybody considering that the impact probably liquified them.

Liberal cities are normally populated by the most insensitive, inconsiderate sacks of shit in the world.  The same drivers who don't like "having their lives interfered with by a victim of severe depression" are the same people seeking to interfere with our lives by restricting arms access, increasing taxes to pay for lazy fuckos on welfare, etc.

It's official, Seattle is now one of the many shithole liberal cities filled with people who profess a "caring" for their fellow man as long as it doesn't fuck up their morning commute.    
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 11:57:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh, and encouraging a suicide is manslaughter in most states.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 12:19:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 1:00:18 AM EDT
[#7]
If you drive in rush hour traffic in Seattle, you're generally turned into a putrid limp version of who you were just moments before anyway.

This type of crap tends to piss me off.

The best measure of character isn't in what you do, but in what you don't do, given motive and opportunity.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 1:34:56 AM EDT
[#8]
You're right bunghole!!  This woman should sue the city and the bridge designer.  After all, it was these two things that  were the real cause of her emotional unstability!!  

Fact is, one way or enother this woman probably already made her mind(s?) up to end it all.  The voices on the ground were just re-affirming what the voices in her head were already saying.

[b]Suicide-A permant solution to a temperary problem.[/b]

sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 1:59:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This is the first i have heard about this incident.
View Quote

Dude,  where have you been in the last couple of days?

Considering that Seattle's traffic is THE WORST in the US right now,  this chick made a really bad situation worse.

There are about 1,000,000 different bridges to jump off of around here,  she picked the one where she could get the most "publicity" to do it at the worst possible time of day.   Nice.

I certainly wouldn't have egged her on,  but she made her problem everyone else's the other day.  I am sure this situation is just one in a series of bad choices in her life.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 3:34:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Tough Crowd indeed.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:28:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:33:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20010828/capt.999025695i_5_jumper_waff102.jpg[/img]
View Quote

This is Really, Really, Gonna Hurt!
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:38:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Was she really trying to kill herself, or did her friends just not show with the bungee cord?
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:48:58 AM EDT
[#14]
What form!  Here's my score!

[img]http://poeticdream.com/photo/az55.jpg[/img]

M.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:51:19 AM EDT
[#15]
For all the bleeding hearts here... my above comment was made in satire, mainly because she lived.  Had she died, I think I'd have been a bit more sensitive.

Lighten up, you know its funny.

M.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 8:04:51 AM EDT
[#16]
No, it really ISN'T funny -- I don't know ANYONE whose commute wasn't drastically slowed down by this psycho bitch.  We're talking like three extra HOURS in traffic because of her.

And on top of that, since she crushed her spine and lived, now she's probably gonna go whining around for the next forty years about wheelchair-ramp access to buildings and how UNFAIR it is that the taxpayers won't subsidize her life up to the quality that it was before she jumped.

You sensitive, caring bastards on this board really irritate the crap out of me.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 8:13:29 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't give a shit if the lady wanted to kill herself. What really pissed me of are these people who are so wrapped up in themselves that they can't be inconvenienced by ANYTHING! What's really funny is that the people telling her to jump to clear up traffic are most likely the same dumbshits who slow down to a crawl driving past a wreck to see what happened.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 11:16:09 AM EDT
[#18]
help I've fallen and I can't get up [whacko]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 11:46:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Was that a cannonball or a jack-knife?
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 11:50:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I don't give a shit if the lady wanted to kill herself. What really pissed me of are these people who are so wrapped up in themselves that they can't be inconvenienced by ANYTHING!
View Quote

I was semi-joking before, but speaking (well, writing) seriously -- what really pissed me off about the whole thing was that she was so wrapped up in herself that she insisted on inconveniencing literally hundreds of thousands of other people.

I wonder, did anyone die from a heart attack because an ambulance couldn't get through quickly enough?  Were there any injury accidents resulting from her stunt?  Did police make it to their emergency calls as quickly?

I wasn't inconvenienced in the slightest by her stunt;  I was at home, and nothing bad happened here for which I needed any emergency response.  That doesn't excuse her for her actions, which were frankly criminal.

And I really don't give a crap about what sort of emotional trauma she was going through -- in the last twelve months, I have gone through a major illness,  lost my job as a direct result, and got audited by the IRS -- in addition to the usual sorts of day-to-day problems like my car's engine getting destroyed.  At this point, I'm getting my house ready to sell in case I can't find work before I get terminally low on money -- and because the housing market is down, I won't make nearly as much as I would have six months ago.  By next Spring, when I'll be forced to sell, it may be even worse considering how things are going.

From what little the reports I've seen said, she was unhappy because her boyfriend had broken up with her.

Poor, poor baby.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 11:54:40 AM EDT
[#21]
You guys are pretty cold. People incouraged her to jump because she was holding up traffic. How selfish has America become, this makes me sick. This was someones daughter, someones family member.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 12:09:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

And I really don't give a crap about what sort of emotional trauma she was going through -- in the last twelve months, I have gone through a major illness,  lost my job as a direct result, and got audited by the IRS -- in addition to the usual sorts of day-to-day problems like my car's engine getting destroyed.  At this point, I'm getting my house ready to sell in case I can't find work before I get terminally low on money -- and because the housing market is down, I won't make nearly as much as I would have six months ago.  By next Spring, when I'll be forced to sell, it may be even worse considering how things are going.

From what little the reports I've seen said, she was unhappy because her boyfriend had broken up with her.

Poor, poor baby.
View Quote

You're a fucking dickhead maybe you should go kill yourself too.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 12:10:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You guys are pretty cold. People incouraged her to jump because she was holding up traffic. How selfish has America become, this makes me sick. This was someones daughter, someones family member.
View Quote

I agree there are a lot of heartless bastards on this board.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 12:25:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You're a fucking dickhead maybe you should go kill yourself too.
View Quote

Thanks dude!  But now that I'm healthy again, I'm working on living.  Believe me, it's a bitch to turn that around -- took me months.

Oh -- [-!-] -- knew there was a use for that smiley.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 12:28:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 12:50:44 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm sure her intentions weren't to make the city suffer. She wanted help, its pretty obvious. Thats why she did it in a public place. And the idiots stuck in traffic probablly pushed her over the edge. Do really think sitting in traffic a few hours is worth a life? Telling someone to jump of a bridge so you can get out of traffic if F'd up.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 12:56:06 PM EDT
[#27]
While it is sad that someone's life had to come to that point it is a very revealing tidbit about how society has degraded.......in addition to some on the board.

[b]But[/b], it is also true that seat belts, air bags, guard rails, chain link fencing and the like have done more than save lives:  They have saved the lives of people who, left to their own devices, would have caused their own death, rather accidientally or intentionally long long ago.  

Basically, through technology, we have allowed a class of people to exist and breed generations that have contaminated the gene pool with their stupidity.

Ever stop to think that maybe God made these people stupid on purpose so they could just pass on and allow nature to take it's own corrective courses?
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 1:39:43 PM EDT
[#28]
It is always easy to say that you care for your fellow man, but is much harder to actually care, especially at your own expense.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 1:45:39 PM EDT
[#29]
There seem to be some award winning assholes posting on this topic.  Yes she may have inconvenience 10,000 people over a trivial matter but that is not an excuse for taunting or encouraging someone to end there life.  71-Hour you seem like the type of person that can stand up to adverse conditions, that is a good quality.  Most people that commit suicide don't do it because they are simply having a bad day.  Most have emotional or mental problems cause by  chemical inbalances in the brain. So comparing your situation to their doesn't quite work.

Link Posted: 8/30/2001 2:28:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Personal responsibility
It was her choice to jump, but she and the liberal bleeding hearts will blame the bridge, or the water for her injuries. Lets outlaw bridges because they kill [rolleyes]
What about the people who got stuck in traffic on the way to pick up their kids, or to visit a dying relative in the hospital?
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 2:36:57 PM EDT
[#31]
if she wanted help why not talk to a friend, family member or professional counselor or psychiatrist

Quoted:
I'm sure her intentions weren't to make the city suffer. She wanted help, its pretty obvious. Thats why she did it in a public place. And the idiots stuck in traffic probablly pushed her over the edge. Do really think sitting in traffic a few hours is worth a life? Telling someone to jump of a bridge so you can get out of traffic if F'd up.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 3:14:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Sharky  maybe she didn't have any friends,  maybe her family is screwed-up.  You every try talk to a shrink.  I haven't but don't think it would be easy. Your asking why someone that tried to kill themselves wasn't think clearly enough to talk to someone they knew about their problems?  She tried to kill herself, that in it self indicates that she is not thinging clearly.  

Yes, it screwed-up that she stopped traffic and caused problems for thousands of people but that is not as screwed-up as telling someone that is thinking of killing themseleve to jump.  If that was a family memeber or friend of yours would you have told them to jump?
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 3:15:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Seattle used to be such a nice beautiful city, have been visiting there each year for the last 25 years. With the dramatic increase in population the face of the city has changed dramatically.... no way in the world would i be caught dead living in that LA of the north!!A real shame with so much natural beauty surrounding all those peckerheads!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 3:16:38 PM EDT
[#34]
I should have put this in my first post
I'm not defending the people who yelled "jump"
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 3:28:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Garandman

"The proper way to tie and use a noose should be taught in government schools, so idiots like this can get it right the first time at home"

I find it hard to believe that you would support any governrment program that would assist someone in commiting a sin.  Maybe you should try sharing your view of governement assisted suicide at church on Sunday.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 3:40:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Well here is my claim to fame she is from the small town I live in.  Still waiting for today's news to see if I know her.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 3:58:55 PM EDT
[#37]
everyone should praise her, she did it "for the children"
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 4:35:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Sounds like another nominee for the Darwin award
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 4:51:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Dear bleeding hearts,

Seattle is a town full of services for people just like this gal. If she needed help, all she had to do was to call the crisis hotline, call any number of mental health professionals, go to Harborview hospital, call the cops, etc, etc. There are better ways to cry for help.

Yet she CHOSE to inconvenience the city for 3 hours. Clearly she was a danger to herself and others. This is no minor inconvenience like someone cutting in front of you in line or something.

[b]Her (poor) choice[/b]

If you are going to kill yourself, which is clearly a private issue, do it in private, or don't do it at all.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 5:03:09 PM EDT
[#40]
WOW! This has got to be the most controversial topic that I have ever started!
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 5:17:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 5:43:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Now she is going to be an invalid with a good reason to kill herself.
Unfortunately she probably won't be able to.
So now she'll just drain the economy of some valuable resources i.e.. Physical Therapy, Wheelchair access ramps for work & home ...
You get the point.
Next time I hope she is successful. But rather in the privacy of her home.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 5:59:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I should have put this in my first post
I'm not defending the people who yelled "jump"
View Quote

I will,

She wasted three hours that the people in traffic will never get back.  But the important question:

Is she hot?  
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 6:12:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Blah blah blah, she stopped traffic. Blah blah blah she inconvenienced people for hours.

Bullshit, she didn't do either. NO woman standing on the side of a bridge does that unless she is Pamela Anderson naked. Now she would stop traffic. The assholes who stopped traffic were the cops. WTF for? Seattle is the suicide capital of the country. They should be used to it by now. It's certainly nothing to stop traffic for.

They shoulda ignored her. That way traffic could have moved along and she could have made up her own mind.

Link Posted: 8/30/2001 6:51:18 PM EDT
[#45]
I look at it this way: If someone is fucked badly enough in the head to want to commit suicide, do we really want them around? If she hadn't [b]wanted[/b] to commit suicide, nobody would have been able to talk her into it. I'm sure that there were plenty of places where she could: A) do it right (like bridges with hard earth under them), and B) Do it in private without inconveniencing (at best) thousands upon thousands of other people. How many people were put in danger because emergency vehicles couldn't get through? How many of the people stuck in traffic because of the selfish bitch didn't need the money they would have earned in that time? The poor girl's feelings were hurt and she just couldn't cope any more.....waaaahhh! The rest of us seem to be dealing with life's problems, so it can't be impossible - and I'm sure that some of us have much more serious issues to deal with.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:00:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:36:37 PM EDT
[#47]

My apologies to Garandman
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:39:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Garandman

"The proper way to tie and use a noose should be taught in government schools, so idiots like this can get it right the first time at home"

I find it hard to believe that you would support any governrment program that would assist someone in commiting a sin.  Maybe you should try sharing your view of governement assisted suicide at church on Sunday.
View Quote

Maybe, just maybe, if you would take the time to read who actually posted something(or anything else for that matter) you wouldn't find things in this world so hard to believe.

It's not that hard......
View Quote

Ok, my mistake he isn't an ass you are.  Thanks for helping me clear that up.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:58:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I look at it this way: If someone is fucked badly enough in the head to want to commit suicide, do we really want them around? If she hadn't [b]wanted[/b] to commit suicide, nobody would have been able to talk her into it. I'm sure that there were plenty of places where she could: A) do it right (like bridges with hard earth under them), and B) Do it in private without inconveniencing (at best) thousands upon thousands of other people. How many people were put in danger because emergency vehicles couldn't get through? How many of the people stuck in traffic because of the selfish bitch didn't need the money they would have earned in that time? The poor girl's feelings were hurt and she just couldn't cope any more.....waaaahhh! The rest of us seem to be dealing with life's problems, so it can't be impossible - and I'm sure that some of us have much more serious issues to deal with.
View Quote

I'm glad to hear that you've never had to suffer one blow after another to the point where you're so depressed you don't see the light at the end of the tunnel.  Depression isn't the fault of the person suffering it, it is a combination of events in life and brain chemistry.  

"Well, there is all kind of help available to her, blah, blah, blah......"  People who are that depressed don't normally seek help on their own.  Family or friends suggest they go to counseling and make sure that they get the help they need.  People who don't have family of friends don't have that kind of support structure available to them.  

The simple fact to all you heartless shits on this board is that she [b]inconvienced[/b] people for a few hours so they encouraged her to kill herself.  Oh boo-hoo, you had to sit in traffic, isn't your pathetic life so GD awful.  You didn't get home when you wanted, you didn't get to work when you should have.  Because of your petty childish attitude you would drive a person to her end.  What's next for you guys?  Are you going to shoot anybody who gets in your way on the highway, because they held you up?  Are you going to plow down kids playing in the street because you need to be to work 5 minutes early?

There really are some stupid worthless sacks of human excrement posting on this board, people who should definetly not be allowed anywhere near firearms.    
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 8:06:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top