Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2005 2:32:58 PM EDT
www.19actionnews.com/Global/story.asp?S=3074137&nav=0rd1XSar

AKRON, Ohio - A motorist near Akron got a $134 ticket after she hit two potholes and her van swerved into a creek bed that swallowed the vehicle.

Cuyahoga Falls police say the ticket given last week to Melissa Thomas for failing to control her vehicle was appropriate, despite the potholes. They estimate she was going 5 mph over the 35 mph speed limit.

Cuyahoga Falls says it has filled 10,000 potholes this winter.

The family of five was treated for bumps and bruises at the emergency room.

Bummer.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 2:59:45 PM EDT
[#1]
how the hell can they estimat she was going 5 over...
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:01:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Always follow the money, it's all about revenue.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:03:11 PM EDT
[#3]
You got to wonder sometimes do police WANT to be the target of stories that make them look petty, childish, and stupid… as these police clearly were.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:03:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Cities always think "increasing/finding revenue stream(s)." kind of like legal extortion.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:28:59 PM EDT
[#5]
In my state it would be unsafe speed for cinditions.

Driver:  "But i hit a pot hole"

Cop:  "what's the safe speed on a road full of pot holes, Sir?"
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:36:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I smell lawsuit...
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:39:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Driver: "But i hit a pot hole"

Cop: "what's the safe speed on a road full of pot holes, Sir?"

Sorry, Officer.  Allow me to pay the tax and be on my way.

Eddie
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:43:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I smell lawsuit...

+1 I would lawyer up on this one, city would pay.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:44:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey, she may have hurt that precious pothole!
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:56:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I spun my car out on a rain-slicked curve a few years back, totaling it.  The officer responding fishtailed through the curve and cited me for "failure to control".  At least he stuck around to explain to my parents that the accident wasn't my fault.  I wasn't quick enough to ask him "then why did you ticket me?"
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 6:42:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Driver: Why didn't the city close this unsafe road ??  I'll have my lawyer handle this.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:44:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Driver: Why didn't the city close this unsafe road ??  

"The road is perfectly safe at a reasonable speed, Sir."
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:46:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Driver: Why didn't the city close this unsafe road ??  

"The road is perfectly safe at a reasonable speed, Sir."

BULLSH*T or I would not have wrecked... YOU childish bully.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:49:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Always follow the money, it's all about revenue.

Especially when it concerns speeding tickets in the Buckeye.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:51:30 PM EDT
[#15]
My friend's Mustang got wrecked when his wheels spun on the ice, he hit a dry patch, and was thrusted into the ditch. He got a ticket for wreckless driving.

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:56:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Hell, last June I flipped my Ranger Edge 4 times, the trooper told me I should have died, and then he wrote me a $135 ticket for leaving the road
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:56:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
You got to wonder sometimes do police WANT to be the target of stories that make them look petty, childish, and stupid… as these police clearly were.  

Hmmph?

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:58:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Lowers expectations.  

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:08:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
how the hell can they estimat she was going 5 over...

Isn't 5 mph within the margin of error when estimating speeds post accident? I'll have to ask the AI cops at work tonight.......

Quoted:
In my state it would be unsafe speed for conditions.
Driver: "But i hit a pot hole"
Cop: "what's the safe speed on a road full of pot holes, Sir?"

Horseshit!! How is somebody supposed to know the road is full of potholes until after they hit one? Do you also issue fines collect a tax when somebody hits a deer with their car because, after all, he should have known there are deer living in the US and he should have been driving slower It's just another excuse to collect taxes!
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:18:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Driver should only reply with a lawsuit on the road condition. Some cops get overzealousI have been examining roads for the past 3 weeks for an attorney. He has several road defect cases. Hell one is where a PD cruiser wiped out in the same spot where a client did. the PD Chief is all for it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:20:27 PM EDT
[#21]
ABout 2 years ago the sate of ohio payed me after they ruined my wheel and tire. A big pothole In I-76 just east of Akron.

The difference was that the A$$HOLES from ODOT were teh ones that made the pothole. They ground a 4" deep square out of a bridge for some reason and never filled it back in.

Ohio the land of horrible roads and prick speed cops.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:20:33 PM EDT
[#22]
I smell a lawsuit comeing up.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:30:26 PM EDT
[#23]
At least there are no dead dogs in this story.

How else is the city supposed to repair potholes if they don't extort money from those wrecked by them? I mean come on guys....use your heads.

Cops and city officials are our friends....protect, serve and fleece.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 2:34:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Some of yoi guys need to lighten up. Let me ask you this: does every car that drives down that pothole filled road crash? No? Then there is something about THAT vehicles operation OTHER than the potholes that caused the vehicle to crash.AR15 is right; it is speed unreasonable for conditions, and those of you who blast the officer don't understand that agencies have ticketing requirements that are beyond the individual officers ability to control or change.Since in  most states the ticket money doesn't revert in any way to the agency, the "its about the $ " argument doesn't fly either.

*post contains personal opinion only and should not be viewed as information discussed in an official capacity*
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 2:44:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Never, ever, get involved with the police if you can help it. Many many times you call for help and they don't help you, they crap on you. Personal expericance here.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 2:44:45 AM EDT
[#26]
The highwaymen are always right. Pay your taxes and shut up.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 3:06:32 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Cities always think "increasing/finding revenue stream(s)." kind of like legal extortion.

"legal extortion" WTF is that? that phrase is an oxymoron

IT IS EXTORTION, and there are laws against it
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 3:13:58 AM EDT
[#28]
my brother hit a deer and went off the interstate
got a ticket due to hitting and slightly damaging the guard rail (if he had missed the rail he wouldn't have been ticketed)
court plead it down to something else. reason they did that: the fine for the original charge would got to the state, on the plead down charge it went to the township the court was in
greedy township, although it did result in a smaller fine
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 5:56:57 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Some of you guys need to lighten up. Let me ask you this: does every car that drives down that pothole filled road crash? No? Then there is something about THAT vehicles operation OTHER than the potholes that caused the vehicle to crash.AR15 is right

That something could have been a subsequent tire blowout, a bent rim, panicked driver, the vehicle could have hit that pothole just right, or any number of non speeding related circumstances. None of which are necessarily the drivers fault. To arbitrarily decide it must have been speed related based on the fact that others didn't wrap up after hitting the pothole is absurd...You need to look for a better excuse to justify the tax...

those of you who blast the officer don't understand that agencies have ticketing requirements that are beyond the individual officers ability to control or change

Sounds like a politically correct way of saying ticket quota.. It all makes sense now.....

Quoted:
my brother hit a deer and went off the interstate
got a ticket due to hitting and slightly damaging the guard rail (if he had missed the rail he wouldn't have been ticketed).

Can't wait to see the Tax collectors explain to me why this guy deserves a ticket.....Must have been his fault for intentionally driving in the path of a deer.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:09:45 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I'm from the same state and I think it is chicken shit to cite them when the city did not take care of its pot holes............
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:24:53 AM EDT
[#31]
BooooHooooo, BoooooHoooooo, BooooHoooo.
The Man is out to get all of us, see.
BooooHooooo, BoooooHoooooo. BooooHoooo.

Bunch of whinney little girlie men.

More than likely, it was raining, pot hole full of water,
she was speeding, hit the pot hole and lost control.

Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:37:58 AM EDT
[#32]
I don't understand the part where it's ok to fine people for having an accident on their crappy roads caused  by the roads themselves. Potholes tear up your car, which costs you more money in repairs. I know of several bad potholes that the township where I live has done absolutely nothing about. I was fortunate to see a car in front of me swerve for some strange reason, and realized that he was going around a pothole that would have ate my car. Don't get me started on High St. in Columbus.

Fine she had an accident, to ticket her for it? That I have a problem with.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:48:16 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
BooooHooooo, BoooooHoooooo, BooooHoooo.
The Man is out to get all of us, see.
BooooHooooo, BoooooHoooooo. BooooHoooo.

Bunch of whinney little girlie men.

More than likely, it was raining, pot hole full of water,
she was speeding, hit the pot hole and lost control.

...damned police appologist.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:51:30 AM EDT
[#34]
That is one of my gripes about government controlled roads.  If it was a private company that built the roads, that company would be required to change the speed limit or provide other nofitication when the road conditions change.  In other words it would be the company's fault.  With government built roads, what ever happens is always the driver's fault.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:00:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Inattentive driving, and too fast for conditions.

If she saw the potholes, why didn't she avoid them, or slow down?

I wasn't there, and neither were any of us. But, i think they're both got a good case. It's gonna boil down to who's got the better lawyer
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:22:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Maybe it's because I learned to drive on another continent, but I always thought the policy was that you should never drive faster than you can see. (If you catch my drift: Slow enough to stop or avoid any obstacles that might appear in front of you)

NTM
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:47:25 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Horseshit!! How is somebody supposed to know the road is full of potholes until after they hit one? Do you also issue fines collect a tax when somebody hits a deer with their car...

Yes, after all, what is the safe speed when there is a deer in the roadway?

Once had a driver who destoyed $80,000.00 worht of vehicles and hospitalized three people who was angry with me for recommending he get prosecuted for unsfe speed.  He claimed there was a possum innthe road, he swerved to miss the possum, but actually hit it, causing him to lose control and spin into oncomming traffic.

His arguement was  "didnt you see the dead possum?"  Yes, I did see the dead possum, and the afe speed when a possum is crossing the road infront of you is a speed which allows you to safely stop, drive around, or run over the possum without losing control of your vehicle.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:55:26 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Horseshit!! How is somebody supposed to know the road is full of potholes until after they hit one? Do you also issue fines collect a tax when somebody hits a deer with their car...

Once had a driver who destoyed $80,000.00 worht of vehicles and hospitalized three people who was angry with me for recommending he get prosecuted for unsfe speed.  He claimed there was a possum innthe road, he swerved to miss the possum, but actually hit it, causing him to lose control and spin into oncomming traffic.

His arguement was  "didnt you see the dead possum?"  Yes, I did see the dead possum, and the afe speed when a possum is crossing the road infront of you is a speed which allows you to safely stop, drive around, or run over the possum without losing control of your vehicle.

Give me a break.  YOU are part of the problem.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 6:02:12 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Give me a break.  YOU are part of the problem.  

+1
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 6:27:12 AM EDT
[#40]
If, after having been through all that, the city then decided to cite me I would actually sue, and I despise fuckers that sue.  I would have chalked it up to shit happening and never considered a lawsuit, but if they want to pile in on top of that for some kind of CYA they can get fucked.  "5 mph over the 35 mph speed limit"??  Get the fuck outta here with that shit.

Cheers
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 6:48:38 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm sorry but I cannot even begin the fathom the reasoning that you guys that are supporting the officer here are following. Isn't the purpose of policing the roadways in regard to public safety? If she hit a pothole and went flying off the road, that is a public safety issue and you should be just as outraged over the city ignoring the horrible road conditions as some asshole driving drunk.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top