Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2018 6:06:54 PM EDT
Seriously starting to consider enrolling in a Driver operator course.  Most of the courses here are Distance education with a built in skills day and state test. Avg price is $250 - $300. Not bad. FTF at Teex however is $625 per each phase . While FTF is my preferred way of doing it does anybody have any experience doing the class online?

My other question is it even worth doing? i'm trying to make myself more marketable to local departments. I know bigger departments have promotion lists that take years to just able to get the chance to move up a seat. Smaller departments at least around here already expect you to be able at the very least drive the truck. Class B is required 98% of the time. Having the apparatus operator cert and knowledge would help one would think?
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 8:38:25 PM EDT
[#1]
It never hurts to have TCFP certs, but at any department that pays $40k plus you are looking at a wait of at least 2 years to need it (it seems like small departments in the $30k range are the ones you can drive very quickly). Having your Class B ahead of time is good though.

It would really help to know where you are at and what kind of department you would like to apply to. Most placed in Texas, having your Paramedic as well as TCFP Structural puts you very ahead of the curve.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 8:56:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It never hurts to have TCFP certs, but at any department that pays $40k plus you are looking at a wait of at least 2 years to need it (it seems like small departments in the $30k range are the ones you can drive very quickly). Having your Class B ahead of time is good though.

It would really help to know where you are at and what kind of department you would like to apply to. Most placed in Texas, having your Paramedic as well as TCFP Structural puts you very ahead of the curve.
View Quote
I'm  near College Station.  Both Bryan FD and CSFD are paramedic preferred. It's something i have been chasing for awhile but you need to have a decent paying job in order to get that medic cert in the first place.

Already have my class B as well. I would prefer to find a dept that has a fairly active hazmat team. I would love to use my hazmat tech certification but beggars can't be choosers in most cases. However i would rather not make a 2hr drive to go to work unless it was a 48/96 or similar schedule. I had a decent chance with MCESD 3 but their shift schedule was 3 shift 24/24. Really didn't see myself making a 2hr commute at 3:30am 3x a week not including the trip home.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 11:22:39 AM EDT
[#3]
IM Sent. I live in Bryan.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top