Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 9/18/2009 8:22:43 PM EDT
This is not meant to be insulting in any way, shape or form, but I'm genuinely curious about this, so I thought i'd go and ahead and post it. How many of you quite literally poison yourselves with toxins but are overly concerned with someone taking your life? I'm talking about scoffing down cheeseburgers like a junkie in a crackhouse, chainsmoking, doing drugs, getting hammered constantly. How many of you let yourselves go completely but are still obsessed with SHTF?

I'm obsessed with self preservation and also the preservation of my loved ones. Because of that I do all that I can to condition myself and NOT destroy myself. I spent a very large part of my life doing harmful things to my body and ingesting bad shit in an effort to get strong and large, thinking it would accomplish that. Honestly, although at my biggest I could make short work of deadlifting a house, if SHTF I would have been fucked. I was very very unhealthy even with a six pack, If I ran for any period of time i'd get red faced and dizzy from my BP. I realized all the muscle in the world will do nothing for survival. I realized all my ammo is useless. Am I going to bunker down in my house and lay down sand bags? I'm going to be moving.

I'm not trying to be a dick to people who are out of shape. I got hurt years back and hurt very badly, I fell into the same rut. Do any of you guys who fit this bill see where im going? If you want to stay alive, why kill yourselves slowly?

I just know a lot of people in real life who are like this, but honestly.. if SHTF they'd end up on a spit cooking. Whats the obsessions with the combination of self preservation/destruction? Drugs, booze, cigarettes, McDonalds, it's all killing you the same as the guys in black helicopters would.. the only difference is you're doing it to yourself.  Make your own way in life, if you want to do all that, more power to ya.. I guess I just don't get it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:25:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Because Dying buy our own hands is better than dying buying someone elses.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:26:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll need my guns to get to Krispy Kreme when SHTF.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:26:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Because SHTF isn't going to happen, but BK is on the way back to the apartment from work.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:26:38 PM EDT
[#4]

I would agree.

It's akin to the "hand fighting vs gun fighting" thread earlier today.

Many think a firearm is some sort of magical talisman that relieves them of the need to stay in shape.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:27:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I would agree.

Many think a firearm is some sort of magical talisman that relieves them of the need to stay in shape.

I didn't comment in that thread, but where I stand on that is obvious.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:27:55 PM EDT
[#6]
In on 1
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:27:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I drink seldomly.(Beer only a 6 pack or so) I dont smoke, do drugs, or eat unhealthy. I'm decently fit. I dont have that much ammo(I can't stop myself from shooting it when I get it.)
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:28:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Guess what? You're still going to die. So you get to spend a few more years in Depends (TM). Hooray!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:28:30 PM EDT
[#9]
No, I don't want to buy any of your Amway vitamins.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:28:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'll need my guns to get to Krispy Kreme when SHTF.

+1

Plus its easier to get in shape when you're out of food and running from zombies.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:29:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

In on 1

It shouldn't be that kind of thread I hope. I don't care if someone uses heroin and makes whopper milkshakes. I'm just wondering the mindset behind it all. It's like arbitrarily slashing at yourself with a razor while keeping a freezer full of blood just incase someone shoots you.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:30:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I drink heavy and I smoke heavy.I have some ammo.I will not live like a fucking pussy fag of 2009.Live and die like a man.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:30:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Just noticed the new avatar.

I work hard in the week so I like to have fun on the weekends. I know that if I needed to I could jump up and run for at least 20 miles (even though I am quite drunk).
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:31:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
In on 1

It shouldn't be that kind of thread I hope. I don't care if someone uses heroin and makes whopper milkshakes. I'm just wondering the mindset behind it all. It's like arbitrarily slashing at yourself with a razor while keeping a freezer full of blood just incase someone shoots you.

Been spending some time at GOTX eh?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:31:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

No, I don't want to buy any of your Amway vitamins.
Fine! None for you then!

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:32:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Because Dying buy our own hands is better than dying buying someone elses.

Isn't that the motto of RonPaulians?

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:32:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't need any of that diet and exercise stuff.

I bought a 3-wolf-moon shirt.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:32:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Live and die like a man.

Jaundice from liver failure or wasting away from cancer?

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:32:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Been there done that on everything you listed.

I'm down to caffeine. And to be honest, a life without caffeine isn't a life I wanna live.

ETA: Of course I didn't stop drinking and drugging due to SHTF. I did it because I didn't wanna stick a shot gun in my mouth.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:33:23 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

That's only 1/3rd of it man...

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:33:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I will not live like a fucking pussy fag of 2009.

/thread
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:33:55 PM EDT
[#22]
There's a difference between enjoying your days on earth the way you see fit; and allowing someone else to end them at their whim.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:34:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I would agree.

“Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” - Jeff Cooper

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:34:49 PM EDT
[#24]
You realize your healthy lifestyle is adding years to your life............

At the end of your life, when you're incontinent, impotent and immobile- stuck in a wheelchair while some toothless hag hits on you.

Enjoy.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:35:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I drink heavy and I smoke heavy.I have some ammo.I will not live like a fucking pussy fag of 2009.Live and die like a man.

I can relate to this !

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:35:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Like everything in life vices are usually only a vice if taken to excess.

I don't eat at Burger King or MickeyD's.  Taco Bell is about as evil as my fast food
tastes get.

I like a glass of wine or a cocktail from time to time.....but I don't drink every day.

I don't smoke cigarettes for all the obvious reasons but an occasional cigar is pleasant
and not out of the question.

And while I stopped chasing tail years ago looking is still allowed.

I plan for "SHTF" for the same reason I have a 403b and put a percentage of
my savings into bullion while keeping foodstuffs on hand.    Just in case.

You never know what the future will bring......plan for retirement....and plan for never
being able to retire.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:35:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Live and die like a man.

Whatever karate kid?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:37:04 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

You realize your healthy lifestyle is adding years to your life............

At the end of your life, when you're incontinent, impotent and immobile- stuck in a wheelchair while some toothless hag hits on you.

Enjoy.

If you get to that point, you would almost trade your soul not to go when it's time. It's easy to discount those years while you're young, but not many people welcome death, especially those who truly enjoyed life.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:37:07 PM EDT
[#29]
It's easier to sit in front of the computer, finger fucking the latest "operator grade" do-dad one just bought to stick on their $2800 never fired M4gery than it is to actually DO something.

Being healthy is hard work and boring.  Zombie fantasies are more fun!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:37:18 PM EDT
[#30]
I like my Fat-Tire, vodka tonics, and Copenhagen too much.  But I also enjoy riding my bicycle, running, hiking, sit-ups and push-ups.  
I guess I'll catch you on the flip-side one way or another, and I'll still be doing what I enjoy.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:38:47 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm just not as great as you are.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:39:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Running out of beer after SHTF is what scares me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:40:27 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Live and die like a man.

Whatever karate kid?

Why are you so upset? Your tagline is "Damn,I'm depressed.". Good to see the drinking is working out for you.

I'm not telling people not to do this, I'm just trying to understand.  I'm hardly infallible, but I know some people who down right ABUSE their body like they've got a spare in the closet, then worry that Obama is going to come kill them in their sleep.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:41:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Look, I saw those freaking telephone poles you call arms and legs in your shirt thread.  I commend your commitment, but most folks don't have the time to put into a dedicated regime like you.   I'm just doing my best to eat healthy, no drugs/smokes/drinking, and get some moderate excercize each day.  At my age I'm not going to start running marathons, not because someone my age can't do it, but because I personally don't have the time to train.

As for folks who pound back the cigs and booze, while not the smartest thing, it's legal and their choice.  Drugs:  illegal and to hell with them.  But these odd dissonances are part of what make a free nation.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:42:07 PM EDT
[#35]
While ammo and guns and being in decent shape are a big part of survival, the three of them together aren't as important as developing your mind.

That's why I spend as much time in GD as I can. Truly a wealth of knowledge here.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:42:10 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I'm just not as great as you are.

If that's what you took from the post, you didn't understand it. I'm just mystified by the destruction/preservation complex that plagues so many people.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:42:51 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

This is not meant to be insulting in any way, shape or form, but I'm genuinely curious about this, so I thought i'd go and ahead and post it. How many of you quite literally poison yourselves with toxins but are overly concerned with someone taking your life? I'm talking about scoffing down cheeseburgers like a junkie in a crackhouse, chainsmoking, doing drugs, getting hammered constantly. How many of you let yourselves go completely but are still obsessed with SHTF?

I'm obsessed with self preservation and also the preservation of my loved ones. Because of that I do all that I can to condition myself and NOT destroy myself. I spent a very large part of my life doing harmful things to my body and ingesting bad shit in an effort to get strong and large, thinking it would accomplish that. Honestly, although at my biggest I could make short work of deadlifting a house, if SHTF I would have been fucked. I was very very unhealthy even with a six pack, If I ran for any period of time i'd get red faced and dizzy from my BP. I realized all the muscle in the world will do nothing for survival. I realized all my ammo is useless. Am I going to bunker down in my house and lay down sand bags? I'm going to be moving.

I'm not trying to be a dick to people who are out of shape. I got hurt years back and hurt very badly, I fell into the same rut. Do any of you guys who fit this bill see where im going? If you want to stay alive, why kill yourselves slowly?

I just know a lot of people in real life who are like this, but honestly.. if SHTF they'd end up on a spit cooking. Whats the obsessions with the combination of self preservation/destruction? Drugs, booze, cigarettes, McDonalds, it's all killing you the same as the guys in black helicopters would.. the only difference is you're doing it to yourself. Make your own way in life, if you want to do all that, more power to ya.. I guess I just don't get it.

I actually agree with what you said.

But reading that while having your avatar in my mind, I sorta imagined your words actually coming out of your avatars mouth.  And then I got pissed because I thought you were a dick.  Not because YOU personally are.  But I kept having images of your words being said by the Karate Kid protagonist, and I thought, "Danielson needs to kick his motherfuckin' ass!"

OK, I just wanted to share that.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:44:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Live and die like a man.

Whatever karate kid?

Why are you so upset? Your tagline is "Damn,I'm depressed.". Good to see the drinking is working out for you.

I'm not telling people not to do this, I'm just trying to understand.  I'm hardly infallible, but I know some people who down right ABUSE their body like they've got a spare in the closet, then worry that Obama is going to come kill them in their sleep.

I am fine bud.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:44:09 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Look, I saw those freaking telephone poles you call arms and legs in your shirt thread.  I commend your commitment, but most folks don't have the time to put into a dedicated regime like you.   I'm just doing my best to eat healthy, no drugs/smokes/drinking, and get some moderate excercize each day.  At my age I'm not going to start running marathons, not because someone my age can't do it, but because I personally don't have the time to train.

As for folks who pound back the cigs and booze, while not the smartest thing, it's legal and their choice.  Drugs:  illegal and to hell with them.  But these odd dissonances are part of what make a free nation.
This thread isn't about big muscles and running Marathons. Nor is it me saying "you better stop smoking and drinking!", I feel everyone should be able to do whatever they see fit. If you live healthy, awesome, if you don't, awesome. It doesn't change my life any. People are seeing an attack when there is none.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:44:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Because intake of moderate quantities of these substances isn't going to effect your health.

Drinking 1-2 drinks a day is better for you than not drinking, there are thousands fo studies that prove it.

Smoking daily or often is bad, so it using chewing tobacco, but smoking a cigar once a month is going to kill you, and it is going to have little effect on your health.  Not any more than eating charbroiled meat.

Using small amount of drugs both legal or illegal isn't going to hurt you either.  That way it is legal to prescribe legal amounts of all illegal drugs in some form or another.

Eating fast food once a month or even once a week isn't going to effect your health one bit either.

You can argue this until you are blue in the face, but there are thousands of scientific studies to show that you are wrong.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:45:18 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just know a lot of people in real life who are like this, but honestly.. if SHTF they'd end up on a spit cooking. Whats the obsessions with the combination of self preservation/destruction? Drugs, booze, cigarettes, McDonalds, it's all killing you the same as the guys in black helicopters would.. the only difference is you're doing it to yourself. Make your own way in life, if you want to do all that, more power to ya.. I guess I just don't get it.

I actually agree with what you said.

But reading that while having your avatar in my mind, I sorta imagined your words actually coming out of your avatars mouth.  And then I got pissed because I thought you were a dick.  Not because YOU personally are.  But I kept having images of your words being said by the Karate Kid protagonist, and I thought, "Danielson needs to kick his motherfuckin' ass!"

OK, I just wanted to share that.

I have to admit, that's kind of hilarious and awesome.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:46:00 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Because intake of moderate quantities of these substances isn't going to effect your health.

Drinking 1-2 drinks a day is better for you than not drinking, there are thousands fo studies that prove it.

Smoking daily or often is bad, so it using chewing tobacco, but smoking a cigar once a month is going to kill you, and it is going to have little effect on your health.  Not any more than eating charbroiled meat.

Using small amount of drugs both legal or illegal isn't going to hurt you either.  That way it is legal to prescribe legal amounts of all illegal drugs in some form or another.

Eating fast food once a month or even once a week isn't going to effect your health one bit either.

You can argue this until you are blue in the face, but there are thousands of scientific studies to show that you are wrong.

I'm not arguing ANY of that. Not one single bit.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:46:40 PM EDT
[#43]

I missed your point. Are you saying that self preservation is pointless unless you are healthy or stating those who drink, smoke and the like are ill-equipped for a survival scenario?

How do folks who are severely handicapped enter into your theory.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:47:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
This thread isn't about big muscles and running Marathons. Nor is it me saying "you better stop smoking and drinking!", I feel everyone should be able to do whatever they see fit. If you live healthy, awesome, if you don't, awesome. It doesn't change my life any. People are seeing an attack when there is none.

There was no attack in anything I said.  I can't speak for other posters.  Maybe folks are sensitive, or just want to have a little fun with your premise.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:47:55 PM EDT
[#45]

People are seeing an attack when there is none.

Are you stupid?  We are under attack, our morals, our economy, our whole way of life.  Stay ready and prepared.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:50:16 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I missed your point. Are you saying that self preservation is pointless unless you are healthy or stating those who drink, smoke and the like are ill-equipped for a survival scenario?

How do folks who are severely handicapped enter into your theory.

I'm not saying either really.

My post is less of a statement and more of a question. Are fat people who drink and smoke well equipped for a survival situation? No. I brought a buddy of mine up a decent sized trail, he puked in 5 minutes. Am I saying it's pointless? Not at all. I was curious as to why some people prepare for SHTF but neglect the most important thing, their bodies. I guess it's easier to just buy gear.

Handicapped people? I don't know how that got brought up... They do the best they can.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:50:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Life is too short. I stay in good shape, but I drink most every weekend, will have a dip in the field, smoke cigars, etc.

We all gotta go someday. Enjoy the time we have here while we do. If putting toxins in your bodies makes you happy, go for it.

ETA: TSHTF is a masturbation fantasy you all have here. It won't happen. I laugh at all the threads about it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:51:55 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

People are seeing an attack when there is none.

Are you stupid?  We are under attack, our morals, our economy, our whole way of life.  Stay ready and prepared.

out of

WTH are you talking about? I'm saying people feel attacked BY ME in this post if they resemble what I described.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:53:31 PM EDT
[#49]
What are you doing wasting your tactical time online for when you could be working out, reloading or working to make more money and buy more SHTF supplies?

You need to lighten up man.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:55:43 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

What are you doing wasting your tactical time online for when you could be working out, reloading or working to make more money and buy more SHTF supplies?

You need to lighten up man.

I'm spent.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top