Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2005 5:08:48 PM EDT
I'm going to be putting up some shutters on a couple of windows on the side of my home. The wall is brick and I will be using a masonry bit. Should I drill into the brick itself, or the mortar between the bricks for the anchors? Does it matter? I'm worried about breaking a brick if I drill directly into it.

Opinions?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:09:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Mortar.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:09:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Brick.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:09:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Brick.

Mortar!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:10:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Mortar.

Brick!!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:10:28 PM EDT
[#5]
If you want easy drilling go intot he masonry, If that does not bother you than go ahead and go into the brick. Just don't push real hard on the drill and you shouldn't break the brick.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:11:49 PM EDT
[#6]
would using a hammedrill help? sure does for concrete
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:13:01 PM EDT
[#7]
dont worry unless you are drilling a BIG hole you wont break a brick, but the mortor is like drilling in to sand with a binder, its ok for holding light stuff but for anything pulling stay away from the mortor

edit: just reread your first post, for shutter you can do either but i would go in tot he brick, and go get some tap cons, they will hold better than any anchor and you drill a smaller easier to drill hole
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:13:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
would using a hammerdrill help? sure does for concrete

In a word? Yes.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:14:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
would using a hammerdrill help? sure does for concrete

In a word? Yes.

Yes and Mortar!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:20:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Brick brick brick.
Drill the hole in the brick, do not use some sort of a "red head" concrete anchor bolt, just one strong  enough (rated) to do the job at hand.

Pros of brick:
It's solid.
It's fixed in place.
It's won't fall out.
Cons or brick:
It might crack.
It's hard to fix if you fuck it up.

Pros of morter:
It's easy to drill into.
It's easy to fix if you fuck it up.
Cons of morter:
It has no strength.
It crumbles.
It falls out in chunks.

Outside?
BRICK.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:26:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:26:13 PM EDT
[#12]
+1 on Brick.

Use a hammer drill if available and drill a small diameter hole to start and gradually up it to the size you need.  Tapcons are fine for shutters, I've never seen a shutter that 4 Tapcons wouldn't be able to hold.  Plust their reduced size will allow you to drill in one shot.

If no hammer drill available go in short spurts and let the bit cool completely.  Bits fail most often from overheating and glazing the carbide insert.  Hammer drills typically go slower and the concussive force helps dig into the brick.

Most any face brick you'll be going into can handle up to a 1/4" hole drilled in one shot without cracking.  Over that size and definitely do it in steps.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:32:26 PM EDT
[#13]
What kind of brick?

If it's a red clay brick, I'd drill the brick.  You do not need a hammerdrill for any reasonably sized anchor.  Red bricks drill like butter.

Are the shutters decorative or real storm shutters?  If decorative, use a plastic anchor.  It won't crack the brick but be sure to drill deep enough so there's extra room behind the anchor.  This gives the excess plastic a place to go as you screw into it.  If it has no where to go, the stresses go up greatly and you could crack the brick.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:42:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Just make sure you use a  1x7 twist drill...

And chrome lined anchors.........

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Mortar! and fill the hole with silicon before you set the anchor
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:57:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Drill into the mortar, insert anchor, fill anchor with exterior silicone, insert screw through shutter.

IF the next owner does not like shutters, he will not like holes in the brick even less.

this may sound like over-kill but I just finished a $40K bathroom with a $5K shower door...over-kill keeps customers lined up and Wifey happy...

YMMV,
Pete

PS

B&D Glass bits are DaBomb for all masonary installs.  Large format porcellain tile and Nat. Stone/Granite get the Bosch hammer drill bit treatment.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:03:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Drill into the mortar, insert anchor, fill anchor with exterior silicone, insert screw through shutter.

IF the next owner does not like shutters, he will not like holes in the brick even less.

B&D Glass bits are DaBomb for all masonary installs.

+1
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:07:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Brick, Always drill the brick if you can, much harder and more solid then the weak morter used between the joints. Always use a hammer drill and a good bit. It will drill about 10x faster with a hammer drill and proper bit. Always use the best lags you can, I always buy mine at a fastener store rather then the local hardware store as I have found that there is a huge difference in quality. I always drill, fill the hole with silicone, put in the lag/tapcon, tighten down, let silicone fill all the air space, clean off and let silicone harden. Keeps water intrusion to a minimum, [like none] and leaves no place for bugs and other critters to get behind the wall.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:32:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:38:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Im a concrete guy, but even I know mortar has no strength whasoever.

I have never seen arfcom so divided over something like this.

1911 V Gluck

Ford over Chevy

And now   Brick vs. Mortar

<----see the brick.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:43:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Stainless Anchors are nice for this type of project. Rust streaks suck.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:43:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:57:15 PM EDT
[#23]
brick. the shutter will fall off in short order if you put an anchor in mortar. i use tapcons
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:06:36 PM EDT
[#24]
here is a link to the hated evil doers web site. you can buy these at any hardware store. you can buy them in a small kit with the drill bit. get ones that have a hex head, the screw type are difficult to screw in without stripping the head of the screw. alot of times the kit will have a hex head driver that will fit into your drill. the ones in this auction like im refering to are in the box in the pic.

if the hole gets to big and the anchor isnt grabbing a 14 guage wire cut to the length of the screw stick it in the hole then screw the tapcon in works great. i use these (only bigger) to anchor centrifugal pumps for lake draws. they are always wet and havent rusted in my lifetime.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TAPCON-brand-300ea-1-4-x-1-3-4-hex-hd-concrete-screws_W0QQitemZ7574955060QQcategoryZ41500QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:08:12 PM EDT
[#25]
All in all, it's just another brick in the wall.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:10:25 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Im a concrete guy, but even I know mortar has no strength whasoever.

Didn't you used to drive a concert truck?  

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:13:59 PM EDT
[#27]
timothy585,

Gonna go find you a pic to explain my answer.

EDIT:  damn...that was easy.

I'm an electrician - work commercial or industrial - don't do houses - not many, anyway.  But brick is brick.  I've set anchors, or drilled through more 'brick' walls than I care to remember.

Look at the pic.

Find the places indicated as webs.  That is where you want to place your anchor.  If you drill into the cell, the sleeve anchor will just flatten itself out - suck all up and deform.  A sleeve anchor needs a solid hole - well, call it a tube drilled in a web - to properly fasten.

If you use a 1/4" sleeve anchor, use a 1/4" masonary bit.  Hold the bit steady - don't allow the bit to wallow-out the hole.  I think a coupla 1/4" sleeve anchors should hold the shutters just fine.  Depending on size and the supplied installation instructions.

Some brick is very soft, and you can use a masonary bit and a regular drill.  Othertimes with hard brick, you'll need the masonary bit with a hammer drill.  (I prefer the Bosch Bulldog for work.  I own a cordless DeWalt drill that also hammers)

I NEVER use the mortar to hold anything.  Then again, I don't hang shutters - it'd be a panel, Kendorf, etc.

Hope that helps.

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:20:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Brick and hammerdrill. Like anything I would do the job right, the easy way is rarely the best way.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:37:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Use a 5/32" bit in a Bosch Bulldog hammer drill, start very slow and keep it slow until you're about 1" in, then use staineless deck screws with a spacer on the back of the shutter and set with a 1/4 drive impact driver. Done and very easy. I just put some custom shutters on last month, $5400 worth of shutters and I'm not worried in the least bit, well at least not for 50 years or so.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:01:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:08:55 AM EDT
[#31]
.......oh fuck it.

Drill both!!

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:31:36 AM EDT
[#32]
I have shutters installed on my brick house. My shutters are anchored to the framing. This is a hell lot stronger than anchoring it to the brick. It took 8" long ss lag bolts to do this but I use these functioning shutters for hurricane protection. Looks great on the house plus an added window protection.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:33:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for all the help!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top