Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2008 12:28:36 PM EDT
Back in 2001 I got an AR-15.com Special Edition Black Rifle (was this the first one? I think maybe so). Of course this was back in the AWB days so it came with a pinned adj. buttstock and no flash hider. When the ban ended in 2004 I got an adjustable stock and our own JohnnyMcEldoo threadded the bbl for me. But since then I haven't really done anything to it. Funds had been a little tight for a while.

But ever since RRA came out with their DEA rifle, I had been planning on turning my SEBR into that. Finally this week in a flurry of EE purchases, I've accomplished that goal. So I took off the tactical carry handle and OKO red dot sight that I bought with the SEBR, and mounted a Surefire M73 rail, Surefire M951 light system, Eotech 552 and a BUIS. I also put on a SOG grip. I need to mount the pressure pad for the light on the grip, yet.

Anyway, just wanted to share. Prior to this I had never purchased an accessory for an AR (outside of a simple scope). I really like this new config. and can't wait to shoot it. I don't know for sure but I would guess this rifle has about 60 rounds through it. Maybe 90.

Link Posted: 10/17/2008 12:29:41 PM EDT
[#1]
NICE!
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 3:52:46 PM EDT
[#2]
One question: I see lots of people putting their Eotechs on a riser or mount but mine is perfectly aligned with the BUIS right as it is on the rail. Is this because of the BUIS I got or am I missing something?
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 4:08:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
One question: I see lots of people putting their Eotechs on a riser or mount but mine is perfectly aligned with the BUIS right as it is on the rail. Is this because of the BUIS I got or am I missing something?

Some people like a lower 1/3 cowitness, meaning the iron sights are viewable in the lower 1/3 of the "window" of the optic instead of being dead nuts on the dot.

That way you can have your irons up without interfering with the use of the optic.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 4:16:48 PM EDT
[#4]
But isn't the idea to use the irons if the optic fails?

Link Posted: 10/17/2008 4:57:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Yes. The irons are still zero'd.

That way you simply move your head just a hair to adjust your sight cheek weld and you'll be using irons. You can still see them when looking through the optic, they're just towards the bottom of your view instead of dead center.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 4:58:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Thats a nice blaster.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 5:06:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That way you simply move your head just a hair to adjust your sight cheek weld and you'll be using irons. You can still see them when looking through the optic, they're just towards the bottom of your view instead of dead center.

Nice looking setup.

Better to co-witness the dot and the irons.  

1.  The rear sight is almost always down unless it's bring used, the front shouldn't interfere with using the dot.    Although, I've used a fixed detachable rear sight with a red dot and it didn't give me any problems with a well drilled repeatable cheekweld.  I wound up looking through the rear sight regardless.
2.  When firing under stress, you need to keep it simple.  Firing from two different cheekwelds is a no-go, just my opinion.  NOSE TO THE CHARGING HANDLE!
3.  A true co-witness also gives you visual verification that your dot sight is still zeroed.  That's a huge advantage.  Especially if you like to change optics or switch between irons and dot sight.  You don't get that with a "lower third" type mounting.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 5:38:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice looking setup.

Better to co-witness the dot and the irons.  

1.  The rear sight is almost always down unless it's bring used, the front shouldn't interfere with using the dot.    Although, I've used a fixed detachable rear sight with a red dot and it didn't give me any problems with a well drilled repeatable cheekweld.  I wound up looking through the rear sight regardless.
2.  When firing under stress, you need to keep it simple.  Firing from two different cheekwelds is a no-go, just my opinion.  NOSE TO THE CHARGING HANDLE!
3.  A true co-witness also gives you visual verification that your dot sight is still zeroed.  That's a huge advantage.  Especially if you like to change optics or switch between irons and dot sight.  You don't get that with a "lower third" type mounting.

I personally use a dead on cowitness with a folding rear sight, I was just explaining to the other poster what a lower 1/3 cowitness was.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top