Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2007 12:12:48 PM EDT
My occupation requires that I go to a rather "unfriendly" part of Memphis Tn on weekday nights. Because of this I have aquired a couple of peices of EDC gear and have developed what I think are good habits in regard to deploying them. The most often used peice of gear is my SureFire G2 Nitrolon weaponlight. I have fashioned a lanyard for it that I keep looped around my neck during the hours of darkness or when I think I might need it handy.
I practice frequently with this light. With my left hand I reach for the light and then place my fist, clenching the light, along my jawline while I draw my carry weapon with my right hand. With the light thus deployed, anywhere my head turns I have light. I have on several occasions had to use this technique(sans actually drawing my weapon) to discourage people from approaching me while I am about my business in Memphis. The 65 lumens prodiced by the G2 consistantly deters them from coming any closer and it ruins their night vision. Even if it is just a momentary distraction, it is enough for me to take the initiative if the situation warrants it.

A couple of nights ago (1 a.m.)I existed my shop to go retrieve a couple of cases of ammo from the bed of my truck. I was startled by a man that was approaching me out of the darkness. I instantly blistered his retinas with 65 lumens of light and put my hand on my pistol. He was obviously intoxicated, but not to the point that he wasn't a threat. I kept the light on his eyes until I could back away from him enough to get out of the danger zone. He did not advance on me, nor did I speak to him. To have spoken would have encouraged him to remain longer. If you have even dealt with a persistant begger, then you know what I mean. I concluded that he meant no harm, but wanted to bum money from me. He eventually got the message and left on his own. I watched him disappear into the darkness.
The point to this story is that those of use that carry weapons daily for protection should consider carrying other gear as well. If you only have one tool for every occasion, you are limited in your ability to respond. If all that I had had was a weapon, I could not have handled the situtation as peaceably as I did. I also would not have been able to turn it to my advantage as easily.

A weapon light is also useful during daylight hours. It only takes a milisecond to gain the upper hand in a confrontation and even in daylight, 65 lumens is enough to make a person turn their head or blink and eye. If you are practiced, that is enough.

ETA: I didn't realize that I was in the survival forum when I posted this. My apologies.

Link Posted: 4/20/2007 12:55:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I am from Memphis.

Memphis and unfriendly part of Memphis are synomous.

You are wise to carry there while visiting.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 3:32:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Well it was about survival in a round about way. Have only a hammer and all problems look like nails.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 3:48:16 PM EDT
[#3]
You SURVIVED fine.

Link Posted: 4/20/2007 4:15:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Your light lanyard, in case you arent already, consider an elastic lanyard so as that its less likely to be used in a choking/grab point by an attacker.

Nice job
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 8:59:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Your light lanyard, in case you arent already, consider an elastic lanyard so as that its less likely to be used in a choking/grab point by an attacker.

Nice job

It has a magnetic clasp in the rear. If it is tugged on, it will release instantly. I thank you for your concern and tip.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 9:38:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Change?

Link Posted: 4/21/2007 9:33:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I was thinking about this event and realized that I had practice very poor situational awareness. There should have been no chance that he could have startled me. I should have known that he was there. I didn't EXPECT to see anybody there at that time of night. I let my guard down. Had he had bad intentions, he could have easily been on me before I could respond.

Sodie: I posted this story at FALFILES.COM and a member there posted a link to that very clip
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top