Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2006 8:37:36 AM EDT
I went to an all-GTO track day yesterday and ran my '05 down the 1/4 mile 6 times.

When I first got there I was kind of intimidated by all the guys that appeared to have lots of racing experience and lots of money sunk in mods.  Much like showing up to a "tactical" rifle match for the first time and seeing guys all geared up with ACOGs etc.

Ultimately though it all came down to who had the skills to properly and effectively launch their car.  Alot of guys had modded the car past their own skill set and likely would have run faster if they hadn't modded the car because the mods resulted in nothing but tire spin for alot of them.

Anyway, I found the parallels interesting.  Here's a pic of me heading down the track.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:10:21 AM EDT
[#1]
13s...cool. In a few year I might have to pick up a low mile sleeper GTO...
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:23:50 AM EDT
[#2]
13.688 isnt' bad at all! GTO is a nice car. Luxury and LS2 performance!! Nice trap speed also! Hit it with a 100 shot with NO2. That motor will take the Nitrous hit with no problem. You'll see a full second difference.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:27:06 AM EDT
[#3]
That is so true. I always break my cars the day before I am going to take them to the track, but I will make it some day.

I will certainly be banking on other drivers inexperience when I am in my omni. It should scoot, but I don't think I will have the HP to hang with the guys that have 40K into their cars.

Also, some DRs or slicks would really help that 2.0 60'. There is a lot of improvment to be had there.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:35:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep, thinking drag radials.  The only thing is that I don't really live all that close to a track and the only one, Moroso, doesn't do much track prep for test & tune nights.  Kind of makes DRs a waste of time.

I did no burnouts, didn't lower the airpressure in the tires, etc.  I basically wanted to run the way I would run if I pulled up next to someone at a stoplight on the street,
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:24:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Thats cool.

My manager had a 02' TA which he did a lot of work to. Dynod 402HP and a little over 400tq. to the wheels on a mustang dyno. He could not hook for anything even with DRs. He sold it before he was ever able to put the power to the ground.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:01:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:31:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I can sure see how dumping money on it would be very easy.  Fortunately for me I don't think I'm currently able to properly take advantage of the 400 crank HP that I have stock, so the urge to upgrade isn't too terrible.  I'm thinking of getting some drag radials (even though I'm not sure how much they'll help at my local track) and a dyno tune and that's about it for now.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:39:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I just bought a Vinci tuner for my C5, I highly reccomend it. Very versatile and if you do mod your car it can keep retuning for you. Very simple to use too.

In five minutes this morning I installed the basic hi-perf tune and it made a HUGE difference in my car's performance.

Is that an LS6 or 7?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:24:00 AM EDT
[#9]
If you don't go to the track often, don't bother with drag radials. Assuming you want to still have decent handling, the drag radials would ruin that when they're not burn out warm, or if it's wet.

If you are going to use drag radials, I suggest you stay away from the newer Mickey Thompson's. The things are super heavy and don't seem to hook all that well. I have heard good things about the BFG G-Force drag radials though. Goodyear's supposed to be coming out with what is said to be the best drag radial ever. They're set to release last year.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:36:27 AM EDT
[#10]

My co-worker is running this unique turbocharged diesel pickup in Super Street.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:54:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If you don't go to the track often, don't bother with drag radials. Assuming you want to still have decent handling, the drag radials would ruin that when they're not burn out warm, or if it's wet.

If you are going to use drag radials, I suggest you stay away from the newer Mickey Thompson's. The things are super heavy and don't seem to hook all that well. I have heard good things about the BFG G-Force drag radials though. Goodyear's supposed to be coming out with what is said to be the best drag radial ever. They're set to release last year.

If I get them, I would only put them on for racing, and would keep the stock tires for daily driving.

I believe alot of the GTO guys are running Nittos and are having good results.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:56:54 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I just bought a Vinci tuner for my C5, I highly reccomend it. Very versatile and if you do mod your car it can keep retuning for you. Very simple to use too.

In five minutes this morning I installed the basic hi-perf tune and it made a HUGE difference in my car's performance.

Is that an LS6 or 7?

Please don't take this the wrong way, but can you quantify this in some way?

One of the reasons I went to the track with a 100% stock car is to get a baseline for possible future mods.  I'm also going to pony up the $200+/- for a dyno tune to see what the best RWHP my 100% stock car is capable of.  With the baseline 1/4 mile time and dyno slip I'll have a way to actually measure and quantify the effects of any mods.  It won't be totally scientific due to things like weather and altitude, but it will be alot better than seat-of-the-pants reporting.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:00:50 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Drag racing is VERY addicting.

It almost broke me.  I'm doing MUCH better now...
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:07:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Also, some DRs or slicks would really help that 2.0 60'. There is a lot of improvment to be had there.

exactly what I was thinking, you should be in the 1.8 range. Nice rig, nice photo, thanks for sharing
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:34:23 AM EDT
[#15]
What's with the .389 R/T???    
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:06:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I didn't think it was too bad.  See that "3" written in pen at the top?  That means it was my 3rd run down a track EVER.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:08:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that an LS6 or 7?

Please don't take this the wrong way, but can you quantify this in some way?

One of the reasons I went to the track with a 100% stock car is to get a baseline for possible future mods.  I'm also going to pony up the $200+/- for a dyno tune to see what the best RWHP my 100% stock car is capable of.  With the baseline 1/4 mile time and dyno slip I'll have a way to actually measure and quantify the effects of any mods.  It won't be totally scientific due to things like weather and altitude, but it will be alot better than seat-of-the-pants reporting.

That's all I have to go by is my seat of the pants dyno but I will tell you this, no bullshit.

I have had the car a month and I've been to the strip once with it and put about 2,000 miles on it of all types of driving. Lots of that hard driving and I was sceptical about the value of the handheld tuner before I tried it.

The moment I turned the key after the install I knew it was different. It growled and sounded different at idle and when I took it for a drive it was just obviously running better and pulling harder all throught power band. It breaks the tires loose much easier now even from a rolling start, say 15mph. That's with traction control ON! The change wasnt subtle, it was very noticable. I would guess close to 20 ft lbs of torque which is not uncommon with a tune measured on the dyno. I feel I got lucky but anyone who I've spokenb with who has this tuner is quite pleased.

Take this with a grain of salt, not all cars are the same and not all handhelds are the same and neither are all dynos the same. Some cars come from the factory that will not benefit much others will get more from a tune. This is true even for a dyno tune.

I highly reccomend the Crane/Vinci tuner through my experience with my car.

ETA: A dyno tune will you 400+$
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:20:44 PM EDT
[#18]
The greatest clip ever, featuring a new GTO (RWD Cavalier).

Unfortunately, not mine, his.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:26:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't think it was too bad.  See that "3" written in pen at the top?  That means it was my 3rd run down a track EVER.

Yeah, that's not bad.  It took me about 5 runs before I realized I was supposed to leave before it was green.  Though, who cares about R/T when seeing what the car is capable of?

I haven't driven my fun car in 9 months and I'm considering selling it for an M16.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:59:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Do not take your Dad's car to the track if you cant drive.

Vette smacks the wall
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:22:25 PM EDT
[#21]

I believe alot of the GTO guys are running Nittos and are having good results.

My brothers 05 goat is getting some wheel-hop w/ his. Still a good DR.
I've gone 11.12 w/ my modded 03 Cobra. Drag racing is a rush.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:51:11 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The greatest clip ever, featuring a new GTO (RWD Cavalier).

Unfortunately, not mine, his.

I went to the thread you link to, and I'm not really sure what all those guys are circle-jerkin about.  They take a car and mod the shit out of it and beat a stock car?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:14:37 AM EDT
[#23]
I agree with burrito.  What is the challenge there?  Maybe they should try to run with THIS GTO!
Badass GTO
or maybe this one:
ANOTHER badass GTO
or this:
Soon to be in the 10's

This list goes on and on and on guys.  Point is, MODS vs STOCK=NO BRAINER

I'd STILL rather be in the GTO than that buttass ugly station wagon.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:43:19 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was just ribbing you a little.  

Actually, a .389 is a "red light" meaning you left too early, which would have disqualified you in eliminations. A perfect light is a .500.  Your .389 means you were trying hard - something most guys don't think about their first time out, so good job!  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:52:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:52:16 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Watched that Corvette crash and I was surprised/impressed on how little damage there appeared to be for as hard as he hit the wall (front tires in the air), didn't even look like the airbags deployed.  

The announcer stated that the bad did deploy.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:34:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top